You're Match of The Half-Year?

Ez Money

Chris Masters vs Drew McIntyre on Superstars in May - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx560rlH8zs

In my opinion, these two are the best in North America at the moment going on current form and this match was perfect in every way. Everything was done superbly. Masters sells like Morton or something. A brilliant TV match.

I'll 2nd this.

This was unbelievably great. I thought this was easily the best of their matches together and a serious MOTYC. In fact off hand I haven't seen a single match this year that I thought was this strongly worked in terms of both psych and mechanics.

Masters selling was f*cking unreal and was an insanely great one legged performance. Falling underneath a powerslam, tumbling when getting irish whipped, the way he even sold it hitting his awesome top rope shoulder block, but I think it was D-Mac's various attacks of the leg that really made things interesting. . .

Really loved the figure-four around the post because it was totally unexpected and the chop block was great too. All of the slick counters in this looked excellent as well and for a ten minute match there were several. My favorite was Drew's out of the blue dropkick. Who would've known that Drew throws such a boss dropkick? The little kip-up after it was pretty f*cking manly, too. It sort of reminded me of when Chris Adams would do that little front flip after his superkick, just so proud of himself. Drew should keep it as a sudden momentum changer.

Masters offense looked great here too and his chops continue to look and sound vicious. Loved the desperation samoan drop to kick off his comeback. They teased the finish of their 3 min SD match (11th Feb) with the backslide-future shock DDT which was great. Masters leg being a big problem for him and the reason why Masters did a grounded Masterlock was just the tip of the iceberg. Great, great match and one of the best of the year. Really thought this had a true escalating feel, starting solid and morphing into great slowly through a logical progression. We really need a 15-20 minute Drew Mac vs. Masters battle. Why these two aren't being pushed highly anymore is beyond me.

Seriously? 'Unbelievably great'? Falling underneath a powerslam when your leg's dodgy should be standard as should tumbling when getting Irish Whipped. I know a lot of wrestlers don't pay that much attention to detail but I'm not going to heap praise on them when they do that because it should be drilled into them anyway. Figure fours around the post have been done in tons of matches where someone's working the leg. Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that Drew would do it in this match if he's working the leg? I wouldn't say 'completely unexpected'. Is someone doing a chop block to be praised now too? Don't get me wrong, I'm not all about 'the moves' but you're specifically noting those moves as one of the reasons this match was supposedly so great. The backslide/Futureshock DDT spot has been done over and over too.

People say that the 'smarks' or the 'fappers' like little guys doing a thousand moves in twenty minutes after five minutes of 'pure wrestling' but there also seems to be a large chunk who are against those smaller guys who seem more likely to heap praise on a 'big guy' than a smaller guy.

It weren't a bad match. It was a solid enough match. There is a serious, serious amount of hyperbole going on here in regards to this match though.

EDIT: "Two best in North America!"

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You enjoy what you enjoy. All this "serious answers" shite is ridiculous. Wrestling is meant to be entertainment, and your more entertained by those who you enjoy to watch. I'm not into Japanese wrestling. So I'd much rather watch Hulk Hogan beat Yokozuna in 20 seconds on a shite video I bought in the 90s than Satoshi Kojima vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan wrestling for 55 minutes. I dont care how many stars it got or how badly the other is slated. You know why? Because I prefer to watch things I like. The question was "Whats YOU'RE Match of the Half-Year." Not "what do you think will match of half-year from people you dont agree with"?

You enjoy what you enjoy. All this "serious answers" shite is ridiculous. Wrestling is meant to be entertainment, and your more entertained by those who you enjoy to watch. I'm not into Japanese wrestling. So I'd much rather watch Hulk Hogan beat Yokozuna in 20 seconds on a shite video I bought in the 90s than Satoshi Kojima vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan wrestling for 55 minutes. You know why? Because I prefer to watch things I like. The question was "Whats YOU'RE Match of the Half-Year." Not "what do you think will match of half-year from people you dont agree with"?

Indeed.

The match in question is actually pretty good as well. Is it MOTY good? Well, not according to me, but it's well executed enough and it tells a good story and I can see why someone would enjoy it so much.

• Moderators
Bully Ray and AJ Styles Last Man Standing Match was brilliant too. A Hell of a lot more than I was expecting.

Definitely up there. I loved the finish as well, great ending.

I guess I am on a hiding to nothing, I wish I could delete the thread - Any mods reading, please do so, delete not just lock.

"I DON'T AGREE WITH PEOPLE'S OPINIONS! MAKE THEM STOP IT MUM! *Blub blub*"

• Paid Members
Bully Ray and AJ Styles Last Man Standing Match was brilliant too. A Hell of a lot more than I was expecting.

Just for the thread, this is my match of the year, by a long way. It was just so much fun to watch. When you thought AJ had it, the boot through the stage was so well timed. Loved it.

I guess I am on a hiding to nothing, I wish I could delete the thread - Any mods reading, please do so, delete not just lock.

This might be the most ignorant post I've seen on here in some time.

I'm seeing the Orton/Christian PPV rematch of their cracking Smackdown match mentioned, and I definately agree with that being another cracker. The call backs to the TV match were cracking and had me on the edge of my seat.

You enjoy what you enjoy. All this "serious answers" shite is ridiculous. Wrestling is meant to be entertainment, and your more entertained by those who you enjoy to watch. I'm not into Japanese wrestling. So I'd much rather watch Hulk Hogan beat Yokozuna in 20 seconds on a shite video I bought in the 90s than Satoshi Kojima vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan wrestling for 55 minutes. I dont care how many stars it got or how badly the other is slated. You know why? Because I prefer to watch things I like. The question was "Whats YOU'RE Match of the Half-Year." Not "what do you think will match of half-year from people you dont agree with"?

Yeah, close the thread then. We'll all post our favourite matches of the half-year with little to no discussion. If someone were to say their favourite match was Sin Cara vs....well, anyone for their match of the half-year I'd expect someone to respond. And rightly so.

Personally, I'm not into Japanese wrestling much either.

Christian/Orton at over The Limit for me. Edging out the Smackdown Elimination Chamber, Rey/Punk (Capital Punishment) and Punk/Orton (Last man Standing)

I'll agree with those from what I've seen - the first two especially. I never got to see Christian/Orton on SmackDown but the reversal of the sunset flip attempt into the RKO was a brilliant finish. Looked so out of the blue unlike Punk's springboard clothesline into it from Mania.

It's not match of the half year or anything, but worth a mention....

The Cody Rhodes/Daniel Bryan match on Smackdown last week was very tasty (I think it was last week, I caught up and watched a couple almost back to back). They have such great chemistry together and were really working in some nice technical stuff, while not pissing about with the forearms and kicks. A really sweet, short TV match. The finish where Cody got Bryan caught up in the ropes and sneakily nailed his spring-board face kick was lovely. Just cheaty enough to not make Bryan look weak, while making Cody look cunning. Perfect.

• Moderators

I forgot how fun the Smackdown Elimination Chamber was. A virtuoso performance from McIntyre in that again as well. I thought he'd go on to bigger things after his performance there. Even when he was in his pod he was going mental and being generally very interesting. It's crazy how I didn't rate D-Mac at all until the start of this year, but now I think he's fantastic.

• Paid Members
Yeah, close the thread then. We'll all post our favourite matches of the half-year with little to no discussion.

That wasnt my point at all, so get off your high horse and actually read what I'm replying to as well as what I'm writing. What discussion is there in having a fit about someone posting their legit opinion? Discrediting someones opinion and then asking for the thread to be deleted isnt discussion. If someone was to say "dont think thats anywhere near Match of the Year" or even asked how he came to the opinion that a match on Superstars could be classed a Match of the Year, then fair enough. But to just swat it off like his opinion is a joke isnt on at all.

If I had to go back and watch one match from this year so far it'd probably be the Royal Rumble match. I quite enjoyed it, and in fact the second time I watched it back a few days after it was with my folks and they really enjoyed the SuperCenaSwaggle period of the match. They found it funny and entertaining and it made me look at the bout in a new-found light. Of course the CM Punk/Nexus domination, John Morrison spot, Santino goodness and the appearances of Booker T and Kevin Nash mean it should automatically be top of the half-year list.

Archived