Google +

MinceMcMahon

• Paid Members

I think Facebook and Google+ have different markets. Facebook has become known for its apps and people having their walls spammed by "Person X likes Page Y" and "Person X has just won Y in App Z - Join them!" type posts. Google+ combats this by allowing you to put your contacts in "Circles" and then share content with only the Circles you select. You can also add any one to a circle; you don't have to become friends with them. So it's got a following model similar to that of Twitter's.

All in all, I like Google+. It's simple to use, and looks nice and less cluttered than Facebook.

• Paid Members

I would like an invite if anyone has one. So Khemical, this works similar to the lists on Twitter then in reagrds to the Circles? Also, my mob Twitter app Uber Social implemented the circles thing a while ago for Twitter.

• Paid Members

I'm gagging for Google+ invite, my sister has one, but is going to waste it on my other sister ... gutted!

I think it may very well destroy Facebook in the end in the same way:

Facebook>MySpace>FriendsReunited

Oh and apparently invites are going for $5 minimum on Ebay

Facebooks been on the downward for atleast a year now, its a bit bold but I dont think it'll even be around in 5 years time.

I think that's a more than fair prediction to make. Eventually some other social networking site with an equally silly name will be all the rage.

• Paid Members

I really can't see this being as big as Facebook. Facebook has it's problems, but it's got so many different types of people on there that I really don't see people jumping. Shit, even my 85 year old Grandad uses Facebook on a daily basis. It managed to appeal to the sort of people who were never interested in social networking before. Now those people have got their contacts, they've worked out how to use it and they're happy, I don't see them going anywhere. It's those sort that I believe will keep giving Facebook the edge. Now my 16 year old nephew on the other hand? Well he wishes he'd never accepted his Mum, Grandma, etc on Facebook and although he now has a second account, he's just the sort that would give this new thing a go.

• Paid Members
So Khemical, this works similar to the lists on Twitter then in reagrds to the Circles?

Kinda. You "follow" people by dropping them into a Circle. But it's not just a list of folks you follow; it affects the way you then share content. Unlike Twitter, you choose which Circles to share a post or photo with. So if you want to moan about work you can do so in the comfort of your closest friends. If I wanted to share a "geeky" link with only like-minded people, then I could share it with maybe a Web Folks circle (which I do have).

The possibilities for it are pretty endless depending on how people organise their friends and the content that they share.

• Paid Members
But it's not just a list of folks you follow; it affects the way you then share content. Unlike Twitter, you choose which Circles to share a post or photo with. So if you want to moan about work you can do so in the comfort of your closest friends. If I wanted to share a "geeky" link with only like-minded people, then I could share it with maybe a Web Folks circle (which I do have).

This is all possible with Facebook already with the privacy settings, it's just Facebook don't massively publicise it so Google are making it seem new (and admittedly easier). You create specific lists and choose what lists see posts, pictures etc. By default a certain list sees all my posts, while another list doesn't see anything I post unless I specifically allow it.

It is possible with FB, but switching privacy settings every time you want to share something is crappy. I like the whole 'Follow' thing too. Looks like they've actually thought about this rather than make a subpar networking site.

Archived