Davey Boy Smith Appreciation Thread

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Yeah, it would have either have been Bulldog or Bret if Warrior still imploded at Survivor Series and I think they'd give it to Davey. Bret would still have a few stints with the IC belt, but Davey would be zoomed to the top as long as the Sky British money was rolling in,

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bear in mind according to Bret, right before Vince needed to sack Davey, he was one of the guys on the shortlist to put Doink over. SummerSlam was a big wedge but there clearly weren't "main event" plans stamped all over Bulldog at that point.

• Paid Members

Is that the "I ain't working with no fooking clown?" era?

There was never a chance of him picking up the title during that era. Always many better options. absolutely no chance in 1995 or 1996 either. He was a terrible draw in all of his feuds. Hardly a surprise given he came back looking like Diedrie Barlow and had been tossing about with Lex in a tag before his heel turn.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Is that the "I ain't working with no fooking clown?" era?

Yeah. When he was told what he'd be doing after dropping the title to Shawn. Some people mistakenly think he lost the title to Shawn because of the steroids deal but that had been penciled in since the spring, Shawn winning the title was simply deferred from beating Bret at the hypothetical SummerSlam in DC, to beating Smith at the TVs in Indiana once they'd used Davey to make the Wembley gate.

• Paid Members

Not saying Prichard is the bible or anything, but the recent 'Something To Wrestle With' about the Bulldog was interesting, and he didn't seem to have any strong feelings about Smith one way or the other, so it felt reasonably neutral.

According to him, things just went up in the air after Summerslam. They'd realised that Flair on top wasn't working, so decided to hotshot the title to Bret, who seemed to be worth the experiment. Because of this, they thought it'd be better to have a heel holding the IC title, rather than two faces holding the belts. As a result, Davey Boy's run was cut short, which he wasn't happy about. Coincidentally, the whole deal with Warrior and Bulldog and the drugs thing went down shortly afterwards.

The whole story about Bulldog wanting Diana to be in a storyline, then being furious about the storyline they put together was fascinating as well. It just seemed like the whole family couldn't get their heads around Diana only pretending to seduce Michaels. After this, they dropped the story, and that was pretty much the end of his main-event push.

On 6/3/2018 at 12:10 AM, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but I've pissed myself for an hour rewatching this. Might be the funniest promo I've ever seen.

Oh lord. Neva seen this one. 

God knows what he was on at the point?? Like watching an infant try and string a sentence together! 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chris B said:

According to him, things just went up in the air after Summerslam. They'd realised that Flair on top wasn't working, so decided to hotshot the title to Bret, who seemed to be worth the experiment. Because of this, they thought it'd be better to have a heel holding the IC title, rather than two faces holding the belts. As a result, Davey Boy's run was cut short, which he wasn't happy about. Coincidentally, the whole deal with Warrior and Bulldog and the drugs thing went down shortly afterwards.

I call bullshit. Flair says in his book he had to drop the title because he was injured - after losing to Bret he only worked one more house show (Nassau) before taking 7 weeks off, missing good cheques for the Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago circuit and only got back in the ring a week before Survivors. With the plan penciled in for Flair/Razor v Ultimate Maniacs I don't think they were moving the belt off Flair unless they had to. They made their list of six names and Vince pulled the trigger on Bret in Saskatoon then Flair missed a load of advertised dates. I dont think it was anything to do with drawing otherwise they wouldn't have fucked over a load of houses that HAD bought their tickets for the advertised Flair/Warrior matches.

As for Shawn winning the belt, no way do I believe that was a reaction to Bret having the big belt either. Bret says in his book that as far back as Tuesday In Texas the plan was for Shawn to win it - Vince saw potential in Michaels ahead of the Rockers split they were about to film and told Bret he'd be losing the belt soon, winning it back from Piper at Mania then dropping it to Shawn at SummerSlam after working him all spring/summer. The end game was Shawn getting it, Bulldog was never having it for long.

• Paid Members

Wasnt even supposed to be in London anyway was it? Wasnt the original plan for Shawn to beat Bret in the mid-card of SummerSlam in Washington?

Which makes you wonder, knowing WWF booking at the time, would they have had Warrior win the title back for a feel good ending?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Wasnt even supposed to be in London anyway was it? Wasnt the original plan for Shawn to beat Bret in the mid-card of SummerSlam in Washington?

God I don't know mate.

3 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Like watching an infant try and string a sentence together! 

3 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Neva seen this one

Indeed.

Archived