Davey Boy Smith Appreciation Thread

IANdrewDiceClay

Great opening post! Davey Boy was the first guy I ever really marked out for and Battle Royal at the Albert Hall was the first wrestling video I ever heard - fantastic booking and that finish is amazing. Loved all of his stuff - whether he was a face or a heel - and while I admit he wasn't a great promo guy, as others have said, he just seemed to be having FUN pretty much all of the time.

Really liked the Royal Rumble when him and Shawn were the first and last in, as well.

luckily they stuck cornette with him, his 96 run was good and also his run in the 5 man hart foundation in 97 , canada vs us/d-x were great times

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1_fcdad9329592698eeb3ed5aae3346812.jpg

Never seen that before. You get Matilda too!

Also would Dynamite get any $$$ off the back of these things or does Vince have it all sewn upl?

I've seen a few of those turn up on Ebay now and then, but from what I understand, they are one of the more hard to get of all the Classics Tag Team packs. The ones I've seen have always sold for something in the range of

1_fcdad9329592698eeb3ed5aae3346812.jpg

Never seen that before. You get Matilda too!

Also would Dynamite get any $$$ off the back of these things or does Vince have it all sewn upl?

I've seen a few of those turn up on Ebay now and then, but from what I understand, they are one of the more hard to get of all the Classics Tag Team packs. The ones I've seen have always sold for something in the range of

• 6 years later...
  • Moderators

I didn't watch the video, but the late 98 multi man "WHO IS THE BEST EUROPEAN WRESTLER FEUD" (Which I assume it is from looking at the title) between Davey, Alex, Fit Finlay and Norman Smiley is possibly the worst I'd ever seen.

And Wright went over them all like Goldberg.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, that was painful. His face looks like a suet pudding and he seems to have forgotten how words work. This look the interviewer flashes after he asks his second question is amazing though. "Please tell me no-one is watching my career die right now."

image.png.fc78f7c6e86a7c1075e09da899bd9cfb.png

"I can do the American style, I can do the Mexican style, I can do the Strongman style, and I can do the German style... That's why they call me the British Bulldog."

The British Bulldog was England's version of Hulk Hogan back in the day. Super over in the UK, main evented the UK shows.

Shame he never beat Bret for the WWE title in the mid 90s when he turned heel. 

If any British born wrestler was to become the WWE champion then it would have been Davey Boy. 

I do believe if Davey did not get fired in 1992 over the steroid deal, he would have become WWF Champion by 1994 or 1995. He was super over, to even Bret's level. When he returned in 1994 it took him a while to get rolling again but when he turned heel in 1995 he was the hottest heel in 1995 and him becoming champion then would have been brilliant. But I would have loved to seen the old British Bulldog with the braded hair holding the Winged Eagle belt.

Archived