Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle at WM 19

Tommy Atkins

He was announced as "The British Bulldog" by the Fink.

But he was always the British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith. Its such a weird argument. Its not like the ignored the DBS part. Its not like when Christopher Daniels became 'Daniels' and TNA forgot his first name existed.

• Paid Members
Hart/Smith doesn't count IMO, Davey Boy was always billed simply as the British Bulldog during his solo run.

No he wasn't. He was as much the British Bulldog as Steve Austin was "Stone Cold".

I honestly don't remember them referring to him 'officially' (ie ring announcements from The Fink, name graphics at the bottom of the screen, merchandise etc) as anything but British Bulldog when I was a kid. Sure, the commentators would call him Davey Boy, but they'd also still call El Matador by his real name after his re-package when calling his matches. Same as The Mountie perhaps? Or did they not start calling him Jacques until he hooked up with Pierre?

At the time they did seem to introduce people by their real names at first, then gradually phase it out in favour of the WWF owned nickname. Examples - "the Dragon", "Mr Perfect", "The Texas Tornado", probably several others as well.

The Mountie is another one.

Saba Simba is another one.

Never heard the mountie acknowledeged as jacques rougeau until the quebeckers. Re bavey boy it counts in my book, like texas tornado kerry von erich using his real name just with a handle. Loved the emotion in alfred hayes voice at the albert hall. I truly believed there were tears in his eyes. Felt proud to be british watching that vhs.

• Paid Members
Never heard the mountie acknowledeged as jacques rougeau until the quebeckers. Re bavey boy it counts in my book, like texas tornado kerry von erich using his real name just with a handle. Loved the emotion in alfred hayes voice at the albert hall. I truly believed there were tears in his eyes. Felt proud to be british watching that vhs.

Aye, but he was as part of the Fabulous Rougeau brothers with Raymond before he was repackaged, he was known as Jaques.

On his birth certificate it says David Boy Smith. Davey is an accepted shortened form of David.

His middle name was Boy...?

Yes, mental as it sounds. It was a fuck-up on his parents' part on the birth certificate apparently.

Aye, but he was as part of the Fabulous Rougeau brothers with Raymond before he was repackaged, he was known as Jaques.

I'm pretty sure Vince referred to him as Jacques Rougeau when introducing some of the vignettes they played prior to his return.

• Paid Members
On his birth certificate it says David Boy Smith. Davey is an accepted shortened form of David.

His middle name was Boy...?

Yes, mental as it sounds. It was a fuck-up on his parents' part on the birth certificate apparently.

Yep, where it said 'middle name' on the birth certificate they put the gender of the baby by accident. That's what I heard.

I don't know whether they put his real middle name in the gender field, though. It might've been strange at school when playing kisschase- you would have Boys, Girls and Nigels. Davey Boy was the only Nigel gender child.

Archived