Randy Orton candid interview on Cena, Kelly Kelly and The Rock

The Natural

It does seem apparent that The Rock just pisses people off whenever he shows up. His Hall of Fame efforts the other year ruffled feathers with the HHH crew and other, Orton and Punk don't seem best happy with him, and of course his rivalry with Cena was based in reality. I'm sure each of them genuinely believe the reasons they have for not caring for him, but I bet it can't be great being so soundly outperformed by him whenever he's on the show.

I agree with Orton on Cena though. He talks those kids right into the seats and right into adoring his every move. Hogan spouted ridiculous bullshit too, but it all sold tickets and worked within the boundaries of his character. Punk's great, but not only is his material much stronger than Cena's, half of it tends to sail over the head of half the audience. Cena gets given some absolute fucking shite, but he makes the paying customers and cheif noisemakers in the crowd care.

Great interview with Orton though, he's always good for this sort of stuff. I think he's a boring bastard when he's out there, but the charisma flies out of him the rest of the time. Made me interested in his DVD too, so mission accomplished.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does seem apparent that The Rock just pisses people off whenever he shows up. His Hall of Fame efforts the other year ruffled feathers with the HHH crew and other, Orton and Punk don't seem best happy with him, and of course his rivalry with Cena was based in reality. I'm sure each of them genuinely believe the reasons they have for not caring for him, but I bet it can't be great being so soundly outperformed by him whenever he's on the show.

I agree with Orton on Cena though. He talks those kids right into the seats and right into adoring his every move. Hogan spouted ridiculous bullshit too, but it all sold tickets and worked within the boundaries of his character. Punk's great, but not only is his material much stronger than Cena's, half of it tends to sail over the head of half the audience. Cena gets given some absolute fucking shite, but he makes the paying customers and cheif noisemakers in the crowd care.

Great interview with Orton though, he's always good for this sort of stuff. I think he's a boring bastard when he's out there, but the charisma flies out of him the rest of the time. Made me interested in his DVD too, so mission accomplished.

I'd like to think they are bashing the Rock because they think he's turning his back on the business, even though in my opinion I think that's rubbish, because at least there would be some moral reason for them slagging him off.

However I just think it's mostly down to pure jealousy. He's in the top 3 or 4 biggest stars of all time made it big in Hollywood can waltz back in after almost 10 years away from the ring and still get the fans to cheer him over everyone else. You can see why they're annoyed.

• Paid Members

I think it's probably more based on they work their arses off all year long and then The Rock turns up and hogs up the spotlight and has now stolen a Wrestlemania main event payoff for one of the boys. Add on top of that that hype and promotion for the rest of the roster will be completely forgotten about by the WWE office the moment he turns up And after that "Happy birthday Rock" debacle episode of Raw I don't blame them for being pissed off with him.

Am I the only one who thinks The Rock's return was pretty much (bar his first two promos) a load of fucking wank? He was terrible at Wrestlemania, he's not funny anymore, he slows down every show he's been on and his Team Bring It stuff is worse than Cena's Chain Gang episode.

I think it's probably more based on they work their arses off all year long and then The Rock turns up and hogs up the spotlight and has now stolen a Wrestlemania main event payoff for one of the boys. Add on top of that that hype and promotion for the rest of the roster will be completely forgotten about by the WWE office the moment he turns up And after that "Happy birthday Rock" debacle episode of Raw I don't blame them for being pissed off with him.

Am I the only one who thinks The Rock's return was pretty much (bar his first two promos) a load of fucking wank? He was terrible at Wrestlemania, he's not funny anymore, he slows down every show he's been on and his Team Bring It stuff is worse than Cena's Chain Gang episode.

He can't win either way though. If he never comes back he's slagged off for turning his back on the business and being ungrateful. If he comes back he's hogging the spotlight and "stealing a Wrestlemania payoff". What can he do?

Did Triple H steal a pay off this year? Or the Undertaker?

The Team Bring It stuff is shit though I agree.

Thing is, and I think it was Carbomb who said words to this effect in another thread, The Rock should have the red carpet rolled out if he wants to pop in for one night. Just like Austin and just like Hogan. Those three brought more eyes to the show than anyone ever ever ever, and can argue that case when they're in mobility scooters. Hogan can barely walk, but if you stuck him out there for a Mania or Summerslam he'd still shine brighter than the rest of the card, so it would be ludicrous to get him to work a few months to intergrate with several storylines and fight a few midcarders just so he could "earn" his spot amongst the current roster. God, HHH and Taker were only gone about 6 months, and have already turned into similar showpiece style performers - and though I didn't love their match, I fucking loved the buildup and most others loved the match.

The young guys who moan and bitch on should see the preferential treatment as motivation to get as good as these lot and one day make it there themselves. Oh, and ask for lots of advice every second the legend in question is in the arena too. Show some respect and kiss some arse. I would wager someone like The Miz couldn't get enough of Rock being around - he strikes me as the type that would pick his brain non-stop for ways in which to improve and make the next step forward.

When CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton or even a Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels type draws a hundred squillion quid and makes the world stop what they're doing to watch wrestling, then they will have that right too.

He can't win either way though. If he never comes back he's slagged off for turning his back on the business and being ungrateful. If he comes back he's hogging the spotlight and "stealing a Wrestlemania payoff". What can he do?

Did Triple H steal a pay off this year? Or the Undertaker?

The Team Bring It stuff is shit though I agree.

I think it's more the fact he's not been around for years. If he had been making appearances a few times a year people would not have minded so much.

Since The Rocks comeback i would say that Cena has easily been the better promo during thier fued, Rocky has been cringeworthy and really below par with his material which i sure hope wasn't his own.

Well that's Orton's point, I think. He worked with Cena every week on Raw for about fifteen years in a row, whereas he's only been around for a few Rock appearances. But his point is that Cena ad-libs every night, and Rock relies on a teleprompter/script. Which is a point that doesn't necessarily matter to a fan (apart from when we're moaning about writers anyway), but might do to the performers who work there. I think it's probably much the same as how to fans, Orton's wrestling is very boring, but other wrestlers speak very highly of it. The qualities you look for are sometimes different between a viewer and a performer.

I'd agree Cena definitely outperformed The Rock during their feud. Like LaGoosh said, after Rock's first appearance, his comeback went downhill. I find a lot of Rock's 1999 stuff very cringeworthy now, and he essentially just repeated those same old lines and added his "Team Bring It" rubbish. A lot of Cena's stuff in the feud was shit as well, mind.

I think it's probably more based on they work their arses off all year long and then The Rock turns up and hogs up the spotlight and has now stolen a Wrestlemania main event payoff for one of the boys.

BOOFUCKINGHOO.

Seriously that is such a load of wank it isn't even funny fact is Vince offered him a ton of money to come back and Rock having a brain in his head took it and if any of "the boys" have issues with that then they should grow a pair and take it up with Vince himself.

I think it's probably more based on they work their arses off all year long and then The Rock turns up and hogs up the spotlight and has now stolen a Wrestlemania main event payoff for one of the boys.

BOOFUCKINGHOO.

Seriously that is such a load of wank it isn't even funny fact is Vince offered him a ton of money to come back and Rock having a brain in his head took it and if any of "the boys" have issues with that then they should grow a pair and take it up with Vince himself.

That's true as well. Any wrestler moaning about someone "stealing a WrestleMania payoff" from them is a gimp of the highest order.

Plus The Rock doesn't need to be working weekly to earn the top spot at Mania. He's already had years of working his ass off for the business.

It's not like he's a random celeb they pay to headline with no wrestling experience for fucks sake.

I find the vast majority of Cena's patter cringeworthy, so if he's ad-libbing, it doesn't particularly make me think more highly of him. A major defence for those who see him as a similar level performer to Rock and Austin has been that he's just doing what he can with the shit scripts he's been given, but if he's coming up with a lot of this rubbish himself, then that puts a new spin on it. The odd self-aware quip about how the older fans hate him doesn't make up for 5 years of jokey/serious/HELLFIRE formulaic shite that is every bit as by-the-numbers as any of the Rock's singalong sessions.

BOOFUCKINGHOO.

And better yet, they should think about what their Wrestlemania payoff will look like once Rock, Triple H and Taker have all fucked off and they have to sell Wrestlemania on the back of the millionth Orton/Cena match.

• Paid Members

BOOFUCKINGHOO.

That's true as well. Any wrestler moaning about someone "stealing a WrestleMania payoff" from them is a gimp of the highest order.

Dunno if I'd agree with all of that as such; I mean, yes, they're an idiot for seeing it as being "stolen" from them, but it's not unreasonable to get upset that they're missing out on Mania - it's a huge fucking chunk of money to be letting go.

The reasoning is shite, though; you don't look at the biggest stars on the card, especially the ones who draw fucking masses, as being the ones who "steal" places, if indeed you can say that at all. As I and NEWM have said: The Rock has earned his place on Wrestlemania any time. As long as it's obvious he'll draw significantly, he's earned the right to show up out of the blue, because he put everything in place to do so with his work before.

If they want to talk about people costing them places at WM, they should look at their fellow midcarders/openers, etc.

The reasoning is shite, though; you don't look at the biggest stars on the card, especially the ones who draw fucking masses, as being the ones who "steal" places, if indeed you can say that at all. As I and NEWM have said: The Rock has earned his place on Wrestlemania any time. As long as it's obvious he'll draw significantly, he's earned the right to show up out of the blue, because he put everything in place to do so with his work before.

If they want to talk about people costing them places at WM, they should look at their fellow midcarders/openers, etc.

Exactly. And applying the 'size of payoff vs length of contract vs work done to help the WWE' formula, you'd think they'd be more pissed off about Snooki and her $250k cartwheels than The fucking Rock.

Archived