2011 Copa Am

David

• Paid Members

Argentina 1-1 Uruguay

Argentina are out on penalties, Tevez missed the penalty - Uruguay deservedly through, dogged display and Muslera was absolutely outstanding!

Mascherano was sent off for Argentina, Diego Perez the goalscorer for sent off for Uruguay - I think Sergio Batista maybe out of a job..

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gah, Suarez has to play at least one more game :( Lol Tevez. Brilliant game though. Argentina were better in the first half when it was still 11 vs 11. Too rushed when Uruguay went down to 10, and the extra man always ended up being bloody Zabaleta who'd inevitably waste it. Suarez was brilliant although at his sleaziest.

Bit of a weird saturday night sitting in my parents' house to watch the Copa America. That match was worth it, though. Hope Tevez likes being closer to home

:laugh:

Lugano has always looked good when I've seen him. Class against us when we played Sao Paulo. Is he perhaps like Lucio, where when he's on he's immense, rises to the big games and big strikers, beast at corners and so on, but you're always waiting for some silly fuck up? Maybe he just loves Beyti.

• Paid Members

Brazil are out on Penalties, they missed four in a row, dreadful game to be honest it was a training ground exercise for Brazil, Paraguay are through to the semi finals..without winning a game.

• Paid Members

I'm glad I gave up betting on this after the first 4 games. I'd be homeless by now. Ever since the World Cup, the disastrous results have spread through football like a disease for punters.

I really hope that after this poor Copa, football fans might realise that it's a joke of competition and that the Gold Cup is a better alternative.

Don't be ridiculous. Because we've had one poor tournament doesn't mean competition is a joke.

• Paid Members

It speaks volumes doesn't it, Paraguay play Brazil and Venezuala in the group stages and then again in the knockout stages. And draw in each game. Perhaps a merger between Copa America & Gold Cup would be a good idea, well it would be for football fans. There are only 10 South American teams, and they also all play each other twice for World Cup qualifiers. It's a bit tedious. Mixing them up with the Gold Cup teams will not only see them change their style of play and hopefully lead to more interesting matches, but it will also enhance the status of the North American sides as they will have more exposure of playing varied and decent teams.

It probably won't happen, and many won't agree that this is an idea, but I'd like to see it.

Don't be ridiculous. Because we've had one poor tournament doesn't mean competition is a joke.

You have Mexico and Costa Rica looking at this tournament as a training camp for young talent and nothing more. For fuck sake, if Mexico was with the same squad they had a month before in the Gold Cup they would take this joke of a tournament without breaking a sweat.

And if that isn't enough for you, than consider the fact that if Japan (with a strong side) would been able to attend this one there's a good chance they could have become the South American Champions.

Watch the finals of the Gold Cup and Panama's first two games from the group stage and tell me if there was anything close to that in this year's Copa Am

It speaks volumes doesn't it, Paraguay play Brazil and Venezuala in the group stages and then again in the knockout stages. And draw in each game. Perhaps a merger between Copa America & Gold Cup would be a good idea, well it would be for football fans. There are only 10 South American teams, and they also all play each other twice for World Cup qualifiers. It's a bit tedious. Mixing them up with the Gold Cup teams will not only see them change their style of play and hopefully lead to more interesting matches, but it will also enhance the status of the North American sides as they will have more exposure of playing varied and decent teams.

It probably won't happen, and many won't agree that this is an idea, but I'd like to see it.

they should push the idea out further, add sides from Europe, Asia and New Zealand. Let every nation get involved (even Wales) and have qualifiers, then the best from each continent could meet in a one off tournament, say every four years?

they should push the idea out further, add sides from Europe, Asia and New Zealand. Let every nation get involved (even Wales) and have qualifiers, then the best from each continent could meet in a one off tournament, say every four years?

You are aware that Mexico and Costa Rica aren't from South America, right? So what he suggested is already kinda taking place, but these nations stil don't give a flying fuck about the lousy Copa Am

Archived