2011 Copa Am

David

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that calling a team the worst ever after their first competitive match isn't a great idea but it's worth noting that this Venezuela side held Dunga's Brazil to the same scoreline away from home during the WC qualifiers.

Just to add to that Brazil and Argentina are both adjusting to new styles as well with Argentina having a go at doing a Barca and Brazil returning to a more attacking system after years of playing counter attacking football under Dunga. Theres not really a San Marino or Faroe Islands in South American football neither so all the games will be more competitive..

Another problem with Argentina trying to go all Barcelona is they don't have the full backs that offer the same amount going forward like Alves and Abidal can. Zanetti and Zabaleta are both really sound defensively but their overlaps won't trouble opposing full backs to often. They could do with Pastore in to try to link the midfield and attack more, but also someone like Di Maria to use his pace to stretch teams and try and give Messi more space to work in.

Brazil drew 0-0 tonight.

Hardly surprising with Lucas & Ramires in midfield. Both were awful. Neymar was overdoing everything and Robinho missed a hatful of chances. Second half I don't recall a brazil shot on target.

Now you can see why England are ranked 4th. Probably the worst Brazilian line up of all time.

Losing 2-1 with 20 minutes to go. Appalling on every imaginable level from Brazil. I haven't seen a performance as poor as this from Brazil in my life.

Elano, Lucas, Ramires says all you need to know about this squad.

*Edit* Drew 2-2 late on but are still shit.

Well, Argentina finally showed up to the tournament. It took them long enough, that's for sure.

The standard of refereeing in the game with Costa Rica was appalling. There were at least two clear-cut penalties that Argentina should have had. Fucking terrible.

• Paid Members

Messi with two assists, Kun Aguero with two goals, Di Maria with the third - finally saw Javier Pastore a little and Higuain was unlucky not to score one - really good game all Argentina - finally Batista will hopefully keep this system and not the pathetic attempt at the Barca one.

The first two quarter final matches tonight, Colombia vs Peru and Argentina vs Uruguay.

This is usually where the tournament gets better, so lets hope that this trend continues.

The first 20 mins of the Uruguay-Argentina match have been fun so far, 1-1 and a few tasty tackles. I still fancy Argentina especially with Uruguay missing Cavani

Archived