Striking Question

ajmcstyles

• Paid Members
I am dyslexic so my spelling and grammar is pretty poor at best, I tend to miss out sections. I think I typed them when looking back I completely missed the point that I was trying to get across.

As for the fight. Yes it was an amateur MMA bout that I participated in, only a friendly between clubs so nothing major. Sorry I should of mentioned that, NOT a street fight.

As for the fight itself. It was an illegal strike to the head which knocked me out. I was out clean for good 10-20 seconds, I was out before I hit the ground. I lost the fight as I was unable to continue and it was a unintentional strike, and I was unable to continue the fight with only 4 seconds to go of the first round. I'm not bitter about the defeat its a combat sport and accidents are bound to happen. You've got to look back and laugh.

What bothered me in the stand up game I am a really defensive fighter. I lack confidence in my stand up to charge and control the fight setting the pace. I just unsteady with it. I prefer the ground game to being stood up but even with that I'm use to pulling guard then countering to being on top.

This led me to ask the question - Is setting the pace/the killer instinct/being confident in stand up etc... something you are born it with or is it something you can learn through training.

There I think I explained it well enough.

You're born with it. There. Matter solved. You will never amount to anything as a fighter... :thumbsup:

But seriously, focus on your weaknesses and work on them. That's the only advice I can think of. Some of the more experienced MMA peeps on here will be able to help you! :D

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get the fuck beaten out of you until you don't flinch. Then get the fuck beaten out of you to the point where getting punched doesn't affect you unless it truly rings your bell.

I'm epileptic which doesnt help to be honest, thats why I can never go higher than amatuer

• Paid Members
Get the fuck beaten out of you until you don't flinch. Then get the fuck beaten out of you to the point where getting punched doesn't affect you unless it truly rings your bell.

I'm epileptic which doesnt help to be honest, thats why I can never go higher than amatuer

You're dyslexic and epileptic?

Yes Sir

• Paid Members
Is setting the pace/the killer instinct/being confident in stand up etc... something you are born it with or is it something you can learn through training.

I don't think you need to be born with it. I found the same thing when starting out - I would rarely throw if I felt I was against a superior striker - I was simply afraid of getting hit, which is your basic instinct & the first thing you need to overcome. But it was all just about having confidence in my covers & now it's fine.

Previously, I was afraid that if I threw a strike, I'd be leaving an opening & would get hit by a counter; I was aware that the combos I was throwing were basic, therefore I assumed they were predictable to someone more advanced, and therefore I deemed them almost pointless, because I'd never land one and always leave myself open.... but then I drilled cover & roll over & over, as well as head movement (so I could stay within range) and just practised sparring. Now I have no problem being on the offence because I'm confident I'm covered when I throw & I'm always aware of where my openings are. I also enjoy mixing it up - it's like a fun game.

So yeah - having confidence in my covers allowed me to attack more. And getting used to being hit helped too, because that was a huge deal before - getting punched wasn't the end of the world.

Deep down everyone has the killer instinct (not on SNES or N64)As you train more in your stand up you'll develop more aggression. When I first started boxing I used to just try and not get hit, now after training I try and push the pace. I dont throw big haymakers or anything but my jab is certainly in their face and I dont pull back as much. I rely on my wrestling and its strong enough that when I'm under fire of punches, I can still shoot in and grab my the guy throwing said punches. Get training more in your stand up and your confidence will grow with it. I hate people who pull guard I know any good Jui Jitsu guy is comfortable off their back, but I've tapped out quite a few BJJ guys from guard as they forget about leg locks

• 4 months later...

Yes Sir

You're a dyslexieptic?

Archived