Chavo Guerrero - Did he ever stand a chance?

RepoMan

• Paid Members
Chavo had one good chance to be a somebody, but Eddie went and died and fucked that right up for him. Kerwin White was just what he needed. He was destined to be nothing without it.

Agreed. He actually got reactions with this gimmick, and pretty strong ones too. Quite a clever gimmick as well.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It did seem to divide opinion a little. But I personally thought it was excellent - it was almost close to trolling, as they seemed to debut that character during a time when ethnic awareness and sensitivities were in particular focus. In terms of the character and background story, Chavo was committing the ultimate sin for anyone of ethnic minority background, especially one who'd been (in kayfabe) so vocal about being Latino, "viva la raza" and all that: he'd sold out and become an "Uncle Tom" to get ahead.

I actually preferred Chavo Classic when he was knocking around.

Eddie and Chavo's tag team was great though when they were teaming against Angle and Benoit and the like. Golden era of WWE tag team matches that.

• Paid Members

Chavo Classic was infinitely more interesting - just a shame he couldn't keep it together.

For me, Chavo's only interesting solo work was as Kerwin, and the only other times he's been interesting at all have been in teams or factions with people much more interesting.

I agree he had very little to offer as a TV character, but he always stood out as one of the most entertaining workers on the house shows I saw him do over the years.

On the Sheffield show in November 2008 Chavo was in a mid-card match with Tommy Dreamer and he got more crowd heat that night than any of the other heels (except Jericho in the main event) and I came away very impressed that night.

I never got the Kerwin White character. It was just another example of the shit WWE were putting out in 2005, for me.

Towards the WWE in 2005-2006 I liked the expermintation the WWE were going through. Various tag teams that didnt click such as The Pitballs, JC James & Idol Stevens, Highlanders and a few others but despite this we had some brilliant PPVs and TV in 2005.

Archived