Most overated wrestler currently in the game

jimufctna24

I think some people can't differentiate between overrated and people they just don't like/care for. For example I wouldn't say The Big Show or Mark Henry are overrated because I don't know a single person who rates either highly.

Cena isn't overrated in my view. Most people realise the guy has his limitations and isn't going to be Mr Five Star Classic but the end of the day, for good or bad he gets people to react to what he does in the ring. He isn't under any illusions and hasn't been promoted as "the greatest wrestler ever" either.

I would have to say either Orton or Del Rio. I know that a lot of people will agree and disagree but both of these two have been given way too much airtime and exposure for what I believe is very limited potential. Orton used to be very good but can't command any attention from me with his Viper character. He seems to be a poor mans Jake Roberts and comparisons with Austin are laughable. The guy has not and probably never will carry anyone to a great match and doesn't have the likeability factor or the fear factor to make him an effect good or bad guy. WWE invested a lot in him and had they stuck with his cocky, arrogant heel character it might have worked out for him. He has gone completely opposite to the cocky arrogant heel with his (supposedly) menacing viper character but hasn't pulled it off. I can't believe in him as a character and his in ring work is very bland, dull and tiresome. Even working against Michaels failed to make me care and that's near impossible.

On the other side is Del Rio. I haven't watched SD or RAW religiously in years but every time I see this guy I wonder what the fuss was/is about. Its like a Mexican poor mans JBL/Dibiase character but once again beside from the repetitiveness of character I don't really care. His in ring abilities haven't been inspiring and I often wonder why he was put in a main event position against Edge so early on. Saying that I do give Edge some of the blame for that one. Edge never played a good face for me and I think a face that made me care may have helped him. I think it speaks volumes about a guy when the first thing I think of when I think of him is his announcer.

Personally I like Punk but again nothing that stands out as a WOW match. Some good stuff generally with Hardy, Rey etc but nothing that screams classic. Though his character is the best thing right now.

I am interested that so many indy darlings have all crashed and burned. If you look at the list of names that have been destined for greatness only to really stumble in WWE it really makes me wonder if WWE have the right attitude about the accomplishments of people outisde their world. Lookin at Sydal (Bourne), Daniel Bryan and others you can see their point. I don't believe that its all WWEs fault. Punk quite clearly had an upward battle for acceptance in WWE but the others have had limited successes in McMahon land. For example the lack of character of Bryan and difficulties in talkin has clearly hindered him despite having consistently the best match on PPVs. Bourne's lack of personality and few good moves he is allowed to pull off really has hindered him. Both could be considered "overrated" but by who? Internet fans? Clearly not WWE management.

I do however want to see Bryan vs Regal in a bit feud OR Bryan vs Punk should they be that way inclined. Both feuds could really be blinders from an in ring perspective. I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of this years Rumble match with the heavy, hard strikes and kicks. Sorry I digress!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think some people can't differentiate between overrated and people they just don't like/care for. For example I wouldn't say The Big Show or Mark Henry are overrated because I don't know a single person who rates either highly.

Big Show is one of WWE's top talents. Henry's been periodically knocking around the main events for about five or six years now. Even though people on here might not rate either, WWE puts them both in strongly featured positions, so that's the basis for people thinking they're overrated.

This might get me some heat on here but, for me, it is and always has been The Undertaker.

His matches bore the shit out of me, and I never got why he is put on a pedestal by some many people.

A few years ago i would have agreed with this but in his last few matches (even though he only has a few a year) have been cracking. You can't deny that his 2 mania matches with HBK have been classics and the HHH was not as good but still awesome. Although he wrestles a LOT less he has upped his game 10 fold. But before the HBK mania matches yeah, i think i only liked the stuff he did with Austin and Angle before then.

Big Show is one of WWE's top talents. Henry's been periodically knocking around the main events for about five or six years now. Even though people on here might not rate either, WWE puts them both in strongly featured positions, so that's the basis for people thinking they're overrated.

I agree with King Pitcos on this point although they may not be rated on this forum and generally the internet they are both knocking around the upper midcard and the big show although i can agree with his flaws i don't mind seeing him to much but mark henry is woefull, the wwe rated him very highly in 2006 with World Championship matches i believe he faced angle and also was put across to us by the wwe as being a threat to the streak which was ridiculous, I'd rather see the 5/10 minutes of match/segment time given to a young upcoming superstar .. Heck give it to Zack Ryder !!

The obvious ones to me are Christian & John Morrison.

People on here go on about Christian like he's The Rock. Now, i think Christian is a good wrestler, but he's nowhere near a main event talent in my opinion. For me Christin (as Teddy Long would say) is the perfect man to open up a PPV with a good 10 minute match, which he could have with about anyone.

As for John Morrison, aside of a few flashy move's, i really don't see what else he has to offer?

• Moderators

I agree with King Pitcos on this point although they may not be rated on this forum and generally the internet they are both knocking around the upper midcard and the big show although i can agree with his flaws i don't mind seeing him to much but mark henry is woefull, the wwe rated him very highly in 2006 with World Championship matches i believe he faced angle and also was put across to us by the wwe as being a threat to the streak which was ridiculous, I'd rather see the 5/10 minutes of match/segment time given to a young upcoming superstar .. Heck give it to Zack Ryder !!

Mark Henry gets Pro Wrestling. I think he's great fun. It's not as if crowds are predisposed to not being behind him either. I remember the great reactions he got when he first turned face the other years doing the "arms up, arms down" thing. He's been fine since his ECW run in my eyes.

Mark Henry gets Pro Wrestling. I think he's great fun. It's not as if crowds are predisposed to not being behind him either. I remember the great reactions he got when he first turned face the other years doing the "arms up, arms down" thing. He's been fine since his ECW run in my eyes.

Imo how you think he's great fun is beyond me, the guy has not had a decent match, his mic work is very bogstandard .. his push he got in 2006 was woefull the fact that angle was champion made it easier viewing and he's rumoured to be getting a title push now ... i can only hope it's because he's coming to the end of his career .. if he actually wins the strap the wwe are in bigger trouble than i can imagine ..

Alberto Del Rio is massively overrated. He's one of the only people who I pretty much always fast-forward. He started off fine, now he just says his name and smiles a lot which is really fucking annoying. The idea of a feud with Cena at Summerslam is very depressing, even though Cena might pull a good match out of him.

Vickie Guerrero is shit too. Like, shockingly bad. Yes she gets monster heat (well, not as much as she used to anymore) but I'm still convinced it's because people genuinely want her to fuck off. The fact that some people have touted her as a definite future Hall of Famer is laughable, and the fact that they could actually be right is worrying.

I'm still convinced it's because people genuinely want her to fuck off.

I always love that peculiar aspect of wrestling-fan logic. Wrestlers I don't like get booed because people want them to fuck off, wrestlers I like get booed because people are appreciating them as great heels.

• Moderators
he's rumoured to be getting a title push now ... i can only hope it's because he's coming to the end of his career .. if he actually wins the strap the wwe are in bigger trouble than i can imagine ..

Yeah. They'll have to close up shop.

I'm still convinced it's because people genuinely want her to fuck off.

I always love that peculiar aspect of wrestling-fan logic. Wrestlers I don't like get booed because people want them to fuck off, wrestlers I like get booed because people are appreciating them as great heels.

Not really, there's plenty of wrestlers I don't like that I can appreciate for being good heels. I just can't see it with Vickie Guerrero. Do you actually think people would pay to specifically see her?

Archived