is cena, the hogan of his generation?

moofasa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIuEcao2cCM#t=04m

Check out Hogan's float-over stf :p

He does a couple of armbar takedowns and the like in part 2 as well. It's simple stuff, but he's wrestling Inoki's type of match I imagine, and does it all very well whilst generating huge amount of heat. He basically spends a lot of the match trying to keep Inoki grounded and uses his strength to wear him out. It's good psychology I reckon. It's a fun match.

Here he is in 1991 against Tenryu Genichiro, still using the armbar takedown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jUevWjMCJ4...e=related#t=03m

Check him trading locks!

I like Hogan.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
But with the internet I think you have to be a very casual fan not to consider yourself a smart mark, cena was being torn apart before he became the no. 1 face and even a casual fan doesn't have to look far to read a hell of a lot of negativity about cena. When hogan became the no. 1 face there was no forum for the smart negativity, you had wwf media, pwi, not sure when david meltzer started but that wasn't available in this country anyway. Wwf and pwi weren't talking about hogans shortcomings because he was good for business. I'm sure when hogan took over from baclund there was a minority in the crowd who couldn't stand what hogan had done to wrestling, but with no forum for their opinions, weren't able to get others to agree so there was no backlash from the fans. I agree cena doesn't have what hogan had in his timing, and ability to work the crowd but you can't deny it's working for the kids and I feel with the internet cena has a far more difficult path. Now anyone after a few clicks can express their opinion on cena and the state of wrestling. All you could read about hogan was from people who could make money from him. I think one of the major differences between them is the fans these days and the information they have at their fingertips.

Hogan got far more shit than Cena. Its just that Cena and Hogan's levels of popularity are in a different league. Cena doesnt have heat from his fellow workers for "killing the business" or fellow promoters for "exposing the business" or the old time fans because he represented a form of wrestling that was completely different to the one seen previously. Hogan did. And Hogan was of his time anyway. He had the 1980s body, the 1980s charisma and he was colourful. He was the order of the day, so there wasnt much to hate about the character as far as the adults fans go. Cena gets abuse from people who post of forums and who thinks its cool to hate him. Hogan got shit from the wrestling press, local promoters who had footage of him from the 70s getting beat off their champion and jealous former workers wanting to expose him as a steroid freak who didnt practice what he preached.

Hogan's popularity was astronomical in his prime. They were getting 33 million viewers and 21 million viewers for television specials, and were getting 700,000 buys for PPV's when a lot of the country still didnt have access to PPV.

Cena gets abuse from people who post of forums and who thinks its cool to hate him.

...and thousands of male/older fans at every TV taping and PPV event.

When he is facing R-Truth (who's entire current gimmick is based upon hating on the fans that did nothing for him) and the fans are still split between the two of them, something is wrong.

I genuinely think that the negative reaction to Cena from a lot of fans is really damaging every attempt to get over top heels. The only person who got an entirely negative (and therefore, correct) reaction against Cena was Wade with the nexus. Then they booked Cena to destroy them all and dropped Wade down the card.

Every other heel they've put against him had had a nearly impossible time getting over as a heel. Certain fans will cheers anyone against Cena and it's very counter-productive.

When he is facing R-Truth (who's entire current gimmick is based upon hating on the fans that did nothing for him) and the fans are still split between the two of them, something is wrong.

Yeah, but that's obviously not just down to Cena. R-Turth's gimmick is that he hates the fans but also involves him beign quite amusing. I mean he attacked John Morrison and the fans were laughing. So its not Cena. Its more a combination of R-Truth beign entertaining and funny despite beign a heel, the fans having been conditioned into expecting something else from their babyfaces and not really being persuaded otherwise yet, the fact that booing Cena has become established as just a part of being the WWE audience and the WWE not really getting behind a direction in which to push the onscreen future of the company.

• Paid Members
Your all wrong. Cena is infact Jesus. And by default "The Rock" is GOD!

You're pretty wrong in two ways. The second being that by this logic, The Rock is Cena's daddy.

Your grammar makes, my eyes bleed.

Do you, talk like that disabled, asthmatic kid in Malcolm In The, Middle...?

grammar-nazi.jpg

I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm an educated adult who is using a snide, pithy comment disguised as a question about the flagrant misuse of the simple comma.

It seems the people who are quick to defend mediocrity (in this case illiteracy) are usually guilty of the same mistakes. This is also why you tried to use a picture to convey your emotions, rather than actually write anything.

You also managed to make reference to Hitler/Nazis in your first post in an Internet disagreement. Congrats!

Also, Internet memes~!

And after that you still came across as the bigger cunt.

Yeah, true dat. You are quite right.

Apologies to the OP, and the gent with the nazi photo. I was just being a cunt.

Archived