is cena, the hogan of his generation?

moofasa

We all know Hogan was a terrible technician,

I've always wondered about this. I mean, you hear it all the time, but whenever I watch his matches from the 80s at least, he never seems that bad. He hits his spots well, his timing is good, he rarely screws up a move. I've seen matches of his from Japan where he chain wrestles really well. Some of his WCW matches in the late 90s were really bad (against old knackered wrestlers as well, mainly) but when he came back to WWE in the noughties he seemed pretty good still.

It seems to be that for most of his career, Hogan wrestled the style required of his character and role. If he hadn't had the legdrop as his finisher he'd probably still be going today.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wondered about this. I mean, you hear it all the time, but whenever I watch his matches from the 80s at least, he never seems that bad. He hits his spots well, his timing is good, he rarely screws up a move. I've seen matches of his from Japan where he chain wrestles really well. Some of his WCW matches in the late 90s were really bad (against old knackered wrestlers as well, mainly) but when he came back to WWE in the noughties he seemed pretty good still.

It seems to be that for most of his career, Hogan wrestled the style required of his character and role. If he hadn't had the legdrop as his finisher he'd probably still be going today.

I suppose it

Your grammar makes, my eyes bleed.

Do you, talk like that disabled, asthmatic kid in Malcolm In The, Middle...?

grammar-nazi.jpg

I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm an educated adult who is using a snide, pithy comment disguised as a question about the flagrant misuse of the simple comma.

It seems the people who are quick to defend mediocrity (in this case illiteracy) are usually guilty of the same mistakes. This is also why you tried to use a picture to convey your emotions, rather than actually write anything.

You also managed to make reference to Hitler/Nazis in your first post in an Internet disagreement. Congrats!

Also, Internet memes~!

• Paid Members

grammar-nazi.jpg

I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm an educated adult who is using a snide, pithy comment disguised as a question about the flagrant misuse of the simple comma.

It seems the people who are quick to defend mediocrity (in this case illiteracy) are usually guilty of the same mistakes. This is also why you tried to use a picture to convey your emotions, rather than actually write anything.

You also managed to make reference to Hitler/Nazis in your first post in an Internet disagreement. Congrats!

Also, Internet memes~!

And after that you still came across as the bigger cunt.

I suppose it

• Paid Members

grammar-nazi.jpg

Also, Internet memes~!

That's several assumptions you've made there sir, simply based on my use of a picture rather than words. You're also accusing someone of illiteracy, based on some slightly misused grammar; it's not the same thing. You are then also asserting that I am also illiterate, without any prior knowledge of my literacy level, or personal circumstances.

You yourself admit it was a snide, pithy comment; as such I was merely using a picture to acutely highlight this fact, in a light-hearted fashion. Nothing more. I also have no issue referencing the Nazi's/Hitler in this particular instance, as it's within an acceptable cultural convention to do so, in this particular scenario.

Also, 'congrats' isn't an actual word, so perhaps you should turn your beacon of educated enlightenment back upon yourself before criticising others.

grammar-nazi.jpg

Also, Internet memes~!

Aren't , you, superior,, twat,,

Every generation has that person who is the face of their generation... Hulk Hogan was that face in the 80's. He was the one the kids looked up too, and he revolutionised professional wrestling in his era. Stone Cold Steve Austin changed the face of professional wrestling in the 90's and is no doubt responsible for the 'attitude era.' Now WWE is in a different phase, a PG phase where the shows are aimed at a younger audience, and John Cena is no doubt the one that the kids idolise. He sells merchandise the same way Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold did in their day. So in a way... I suppose he is.

• Paid Members

I suppose it

• Moderators

People always use the "matches in Japan" defense when talking about Hogan's technical prowess.

Is it true? I've never seen any footage beyond him doing an axe bomber, and don't really have much inclination to, but I'm kinda curious if he does actually have any technical chops? Or is it 'chain-wrestling' like some indie lame-os do where they have a little routine that they throw out that looks out of context because they don't really understand the psychology of that style but put that in because they think it makes them 'legit'.

Referring back to the original post about Cena, being, the, Hogan, of his, generation, I'd say he definitely is. Who else of this generation is even comparable?

My criticism of Cena isn't to do with his technique. He's meant to be a sloppy brawler like Austin. For me, the problem is that he seems to phone shit in now. The Cena delivering quality PPV matches in 2006/2007 would slap 2011 Cena upside the head. Of course, the argument could be that it's Triple H and Shawn Michaels compared to The Miz and R-Truth, but Cena should be enough of a ring general by now to make those guys look good too. It feels like he does the same comeback routine and collects the same big paycheck. Then again, so did Hogan, especially in his later years.

Hogans offence was pretty horrible the back rakes always stick out in my mind. But he could work the crowd like nobody else. But with the internet I think you have to be a very casual fan not to consider yourself a smart mark, cena was being torn apart before he became the no. 1 face and even a casual fan doesn't have to look far to read a hell of a lot of negativity about cena. When hogan became the no. 1 face there was no forum for the smart negativity, you had wwf media, pwi, not sure when david meltzer started but that wasn't available in this country anyway. Wwf and pwi weren't talking about hogans shortcomings because he was good for business. I'm sure when hogan took over from baclund there was a minority in the crowd who couldn't stand what hogan had done to wrestling, but with no forum for their opinions, weren't able to get others to agree so there was no backlash from the fans. I agree cena doesn't have what hogan had in his timing, and ability to work the crowd but you can't deny it's working for the kids and I feel with the internet cena has a far more difficult path. Now anyone after a few clicks can express their opinion on cena and the state of wrestling. All you could read about hogan was from people who could make money from him. I think one of the major differences between them is the fans these days and the information they have at their fingertips.

In terms of their popularity with kids at live events and placement in the company, they are very, very similar.

The biggest difference for me is that Hogan's run saw the WWF rise to (at the time) unheard of levels of popularity. The first huge boom period was all under Hogan's watch.

Cena, however, has led to a stale, bland level of mediocrity, where the buyrates for PPVs and TV ratings are all low and generally the product is just very dull.

The whole WWE is fine, of course, because a global market and the internet has allowed them to spread all over the world. and become the sole wrestling provider for much of the planet. That same strategy would have seen them succeed with or without Cena at the helm.

Archived