WWE Capitol Punishment 2011

Doog

I'm looking forward to CP tonight , one of the best cards WWE have put out for a while!

i'm marking out for R Truth to become new WWE champion but i can't see it myself what i can see is Alberto Del Rio becoming champion at the next PPV after tonight (the name escapes me) , so I'd expect ADR to win against Show tonight ?

I would love it aswell if R Truth wins the world title would be mark out moment of the year.

Sould would I

and me too

4th that !

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, that was a show of two halves, and the blame for that appears to fall entirely on one match. I'll get to that in a minute. Just to point out I loved the stage set-up for the show. Thought it looked pretty cool and distinct for such a seemingly half-arsed PPV.

Kofi vs. Dolph was great. I have said many times that I'm pretty sick of them facing off but tonight I must admit it was one of their more stand-out encounters. Glad to see Dolph go over too. He was great on commentary the other week and hopefully with the title win he'll get even more mic time. Gutted for Kofi though. He's really fun and still quite over but they just don't seem to have any interest in him since the Orton feud. Maybe they agree with Orton and think he's "stupid, stupid".

Riley vs. Miz was decent and the crowd still seem to be behind Riley. Glad to see him use the Implant DDT as a finisher, that's such an awesome move. What's in that briefcase though? They should run a Pulp Fiction-style storyline with it or something.

Alberto vs. Show was also pretty good. I dug the story of Show trying to battle through the injury after the Mark Henry attack. How freaking strong is that guy? Picking up Big Show and CARRYING him over to the announce table then driving him through it with that awesome slam. That made Henry look really strong which he kind of needs now after being made to look like a bit of a goof with Orton and Christian.

The backstage segments with "Barrack Obama" were mostly awful, save for Vickie's funny performance. In contrast, the R-Truth segments were great. It's amazing how great he's become since his turn. I used to skip anything he was involved in, even stuff against people I enjoy like Miz, but now he's a must-watch. Loved the fact he was still carrying the title too.

Big Zeke vs. Wade Barrett was where things took a turn for the worst. Poor Wade, they've used him so poorly since the Cena feud that he couldn't even generate enough cheap heat in his promo. The crowd were absolutely dead for this and were pretty much killed off for the rest of the night. Awful match and, as much as I dig his look, Zeke just isn't as good as I initially thought he was. Back in the Kendrick days and his brief run on ECW he came across as a future main eventer but he seems to have actually regressed over time. Even King couldn't get the crowd into him in the post-match interview. Not a good sign.

Punk's promo was amazing and I was genuinely interested in his truth promise. He actually made me interested in the match, even though the build was awful and he and Rey have faced each other way too many times.

Punk vs. Rey was ok but hurt a lot by the crowd being pretty dead from the previous match. Glad Punk got the win but he didn't even do anything "truthful". Bizarre.

Orton vs. Christian. Really not into Christian this year. He got a pitty win against Del Rio, who really should have won the belt, then was made to look like a total loser. He's way too whiny and just gets on my nerves with his current character. I guess that's a heel's job but it's more turn-off heat than anything else. Orton is only really as good as who he's up against and, with my lowered opinion on Christian as of late, that means I'm struggling to get into him too. Worse yet he punted Sheamus, who had been far more entertaining than both him and Christian, for seemingly no reason at all. Match seemed far worse than it was too due to the crowd still sitting on their hands. I hope Christian doesn't get YET ANOTHER shot at the title now but he does seem like a likely candidate for MITB.

The whole Keith Stone with the Bellas bit was confusing. They're heels right? And why was he there? I thought Swagger would have at least insulted him or something.

Speaking of which, Swagger vs. Bourne was fine but was once again hurt by the crowd. Pointless addition to the card really. I like both guys but WWE aren't giving me much reason to care about them currently.

I was begging Booker to nail the Obama impersonator for haunting his dreams. That would have been amazing. Or at least far better than the shit we got instead.

Truth vs. Cena was a mixed bag. Crowd were still surprisingly dead, which leads me to believe Zeke may just drop that title on Smackdown. It's clearly that match that killed the audience and I can't imagine WWE ignoring that. Truth was good here, but then that always seems to be the case nowadays, and I was waiting for a Punk run-in that never came. Looks like Cena's keeping hold of that title until Mania...I can't help but think it'd be better for him to be chasing it. He should start using the Rock Bottom as a finish too in order to build on The Rock feud. R-Truth did it to himself tonight with his shitty finisher so he's halfway there. I can see how the finish would annoy people but I couldn't help but get behind it because of the kid. Think about how happy he must have felt. Also he looked suave as fuck before he threw that water at Truth. That kid is bad-ass. Only problem with it was Cena ONCE AGAIN bouncing up completely fine and ending the match within seconds. Starting to really annoy me. Was also gutted that not only did Truth lose but Cena kicked out of ALL of his finishers. Hopefully this isn't the end of their feud and I could potentially see a Truth MITB win in his future.

I can't help but think how badly this PPV is going to do if Over The Limit did 65,000 buys. At least OTL was quite a strong card where as this one was mostly disappointing. They had a three hour Raw to build it up too and they still couldn't get it right. They should show those amazing video packages they do ON RAW rather than at the PPV. They're so good that they can instantly sell you on a match. The Truth/Cena packages alone would have convinced me to watch this show.

One of the worst shows I've had the misfortune of watching for a long time. Horrible. First hour and an half was crap. then the big matches delivered nothing. totally soured on live PPV's now and will not be buying second tier shows again.

I actually thought it was a really good event, considering my low expectations. Sort of had more of an old school feel to it with straight matches, no gimmicks, not much in the way of crazy highspots for a highlight reel, but plenty of solid enough wrestling.

Rey/Punk deserves a special mention for being absolutely fantastic imo. Highlight of the night for me, and first thoughts are that it was better than any of their matches during their feud last year. It's definitely up there with my fave matches from this year. Great Stuff. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't say anything in-ring was terrible. Barrett/Jackson was the weakest match but it wasn't offensive and I quite enjoyed Barretts promo.

I also thought the ring, set and graphics all looked great, it had the best look of any show for a while. They need to use the red, white and blue ropes more often, not just when there's an American or retro theme.

The added match was a welcome bonus too. Evan Bourne is just so crisp in the ring, and despite his modern style, actually plays a great traditional babyface. Nice to see him get a rare PPV outing.

Also, when did they stop doing the 3 lifts of the hand when in a sleeper? That ending was shit and lacking in any kind of drama after a really nice little opener.

I think WWE need to seriously look at their PPV schedule. The figures show that what they're doing isn't working.

I'd personally like to see a return to the "big four" PPV's, and some sort of Saturday Nights Main Event deal for the months not taken up by them. People aren't willing to pay money for a WWE show every month by the looks of it.

I think WWE need to seriously look at their PPV schedule. The figures show that what they're doing isn't working.

I'd personally like to see a return to the "big four" PPV's, and some sort of Saturday Nights Main Event deal for the months not taken up by them. People aren't willing to pay money for a WWE show every month by the looks of it.

I don't think they will do that yet even the PPV's what draw bad still make a profit so until Vince starts losing money nothing will change although I do agree they should really cut down.

Good ppv but 2 things that are really pissing me off.

1. Scott Armstrong. Terrible, terrible ref. I hate how he counts, completely sucks the life out of matches. Stood there like a lemon at the end of the dolph/kofi match.

2. Booker's pronunciation of the letter 's' in words. He pronounces it 'sh'. Like - Rey Myshterio going to the shecond rope. Mother fucker be Sean Connery!

• Paid Members

Also cutting your 13 PPVs a year down to four looks really bad. Plus they have contracts with PPV providers, that no doubt state x amount of shows a year.

The how wasn't bad but it wasn't really that good either (so if you did pay for it I can see why you're annoyed).

The only things of note are...

CM Punk is the best thing in wrestling. Awesome promo and match of the night against Mysterio. If WWE actually decided to give him a proper push they'd be rolling in money. The guy has something that translates to fans wanting to buy into him. The crowd are slowly turning him babyface as well, he can't go a match or a promo without "CM Punk" chants. I'm interested what big thing he's planning on doing, they teased it tonight but nothing happened.

Alex Riley sold far too much in his match against The Miz, IMO. The reason people are getting into him is because of the fire and aggression he's shown (coupled with their hatred of The Miz). He needs to change up his look too, he looks like a dick.

Big Zeke just isn't connecting. Shame.

I thought R-Truth was winning when he hit his finish. Pitty, but I did enjoy the finish. The match was nothing special though.

Also they showed a lot of video packages, all of them awesome. Why don't they show more on TV?!

About halfway through now, enjoying it so far. the set is absolutely top drawer, love the entrance, and red, white and blue ropes I love. So old school.

Dolph vs Kofi was really good, did Dolph go for a Zig Zag at then end but then change it into the sleeper? Great match, Dolph is great and he'll maybe do more with the gold than Kofi.

The Miz vs Riley was good too, not quite the show stealer I bigged it up to be but good nonetheless. Riley got a great pop at the end. Where does this leave the poor Miz though?

Alberto Del Rio vs Big Show, not too bad. That was perhaps the coolest thing Mark Henry has ever done. I like angry and intense Big Show more than laughing guy. Del Rio however is definately not the same man that won the Royal Rumble.

Barrett vs Big Zeke wasn't terrible, but it wasn't all that good...I'm still a zeke fan, and the crowd definitely weren't as dead for it as some said on here (they were exactly loud though in fairness) Zeke shouldn't talk though...I know everyone says it, but he'd be much cooler in a Goldberg style strong silent type badass.

As lame as the Obama emposter segments were, I chuckled at the Santino one.

I bloody love CM Punk. Great promo. He's the perfect person that speaks the truth, but he's a heel. People love to hate him. I really think he needs to be around the main event, maybe a feud with Austin could get him back to the top.

prob won't get to watch the rest until later but decent first half :)

Some really awful stuff going on.

- How did they end up with so much filler time? The first couple of Obama promos were always going to happen despite them being shit but then he came out and delivered a shit promo which seemed like filler and the spinaroonie seemed like filler. And that was after the warm down match of Jack Swagger vs. Evan Bourne. And after the guy with the Rick Rude top came out. Jack Swagger and Evan Bourne did about the best they could with their assignment but really Evan Bourne shouldn't be the guy you put in a warm down match. Saying that, with the matches they had, that was the one with the most merit to be a warm down match.

- I'm guessing the referee botched on not holding the arm up three times? Everyone involved seemed confused. A lot of botches in that match and it didn't flow very well at all. In hindsight, it was one of the better matches still. People say about pushing Kofi into the main event but I'd be happy for him to be in the mid-card but to be given a purpose. The US title scene lacks proper story lines. I've no reason to care about Kofi or Dolph Ziggler at the moment. Alright, Dolph commentated on Kofi's match for example but it's not the most enticing of story lines. That makes their rematches seem like just another match of many they've had.

- Why did Alex Riley beat The Miz? Surely we weren't the only ones who were stupefied by that? The Miz - with help from The Rock - was the second heel to win in the main event at Wrestlemania and beat John Cena to do so. The focus again was on The Rock and John Cena but he was in the big picture. He was holding the US title and the tag title simultaneously before that Now he's losing to Alex Riley cleanly. It's predictable but why didn't The Miz whack Riley with the briefcase for a win which gives cause for a rematch? I fear WWE are trying to push Alex Riley too hard and too fast. The reactions he gets is because Miz is so over as a heel and someone's beating him up. I don't think that's going to transfer to when Riley's facing other people. Miz was pretty lame in selling - if they're going to get him over, he needs to be throwing himself full force into things. He was lame going into the ring post nuts first and being thrown around in general. He needed to be selling it like Alex Riley was absolutely explosive. Really odd move.

- Riley's entrance reminds me of Velocity - a place I could have seen him fitting in quite well if it were around to this day. I think he's naturally better as a heel than a face. I imagine a lot of people will say he's the next big thing now because of the reactions he's getting but The Miz is far from a ring general and needs to be carried in his matches so whilst his promos will help get Riley over, his matches won't particularly. I can't see him getting good face reactions when he moves on from The Miz.

- It seems WWE take a liking to someone and push them into the main event and then get cold feet and those people drift between the midcard and main event or, in the case of Jack Swagger, have a pretty much forgotten title run. They pushed him and Sheamus too fast and they've suffered from it (Swagger more-so than Sheamus). When will they learn? They need to push someone hard and relentlessly - but not rushed. Batista was a good example. CM Punk would be a perfect guy to push hard for the main event. Just rid him of Nexus first.

- I was impressed by Mark Henry's World's Strongest Slam. Del Rio didn't get over from this. Big Show fought through the pain but really, Mark Henry was the only person to really get over from this. Which leads me to believe it'll be a Mark Henry vs. Big Show feud. In which case, why bother putting Del Rio in this feud with Big Show just so it can be handed over to Mark Henry? As someone else has said, Del Rio is far, far away from the man who won the Royal Rumble. He should have beaten Edge at Wrestlemania and the writers should be giving him better story lines than 'hey, they're sitting on my car! Let's run them over!" Having said that, he needs to improve on his promos despite them being bad material.

- Wade Barrett cut a pretty good cheap heat promo. All the help Jackson got didn't make the crowd care about him any more. It's fair enough as an attempt to help get him over with the crowd but they weren't having it. The Corre was such an awful, awful story line. Before Jackson started going through The Corre I said he could do that but the problem would be no one gives a shit about The Corre. Going back to the earlier example, Batista turning worked because it was Triple H and Ric Flair not Wade Barrett and Heath Slater. I don't watch SmackDown at the moment but if it hasn't already, they need to end The Corre. Heath Slater needs to get off TV too. As someone else said, Jackson should be silent. His intonation in his promo was awful and he sounded like a goon.

- CM Punk cut a really good, confident promo. The thing I like about Punk is how confident he is on his promos and when he's on top. He does things with a swagger. I didn't like him saying "sports entertainers". He's trying to put himself over with 'the internet' despite him being a heel. You could make the argument that 'internet fans' are 'smarter' but no matter how 'smart' fans are, I think your aim should be trying to get over as a heel. That's what he's paid to do, not have a nudge, nudge, wink, wink joke with the internet. He's not there to play cool. The match was brilliant though. Really nice counter into the GTS too. He didn't deliver on his promo where he said about something happening after the match though.

- Randy Orton and Christian was alright too. I've not watched much of their build up but Christian doesn't seem very over as a heel and he wasn't acting very heelish in that match. One of the things we were saying last night is that he has a face move set that he needs to make more heelish. For example I said that when he leaps out of the ring and does the slap to the face, he could talk shit to the crowd at ringside before or after the slap. I reckon Randy Orton must be loving being on SmackDown at the moment and facing someone like Christian though.

- I've put down most of my thoughts on the Evan Bourne vs. Jack Swagger match already. If Bourne's going to do that DDT where he leaps off of the top and catches them in a DDT, it should be a desperation move. It looked odd that he went straight into a pin from that where it looked devastating and Swagger was made to kick out. That should be where both men are down and the ref counts to ten. I really hope they push Bourne though. He has more chance of succeeding as a successor to Mysterio than Sin Cara does. He has a charm about him.

- John Cena and R-Truth was standard stuff, storyline progression. As someone's already said it's shit that all of R-Truth's finishers were kicked out of. I don't like the trend in Cena matches that he gets the win so soon after the heel's made a mistake. The mistake should be the first part of the face's comeback into the win. It seems flat when Cena wins. I'd imagine the crowd would prefer to see Cena get his comeuppance on R-Truth in the final minutes than to try get the win ASAP.

Overall, pretty shit event. Punk vs. Mysterio was best match followed by Orton and Christian.

Aside from the Punk/Mysterio match (which was completely pointless), that was an abysmal PPV. People have a go at TNA for having nonsensical booking, but at least they have booking. WWE just seems pick who'll be fighting out of a hat and then flips a coin to see who'll win.

Aside from the Punk/Mysterio match (which was completely pointless), that was an abysmal PPV. People have a go at TNA for having nonsensical booking, but at least they have booking. WWE just seems pick who'll be fighting out of a hat and then flips a coin to see who'll win.

And the award for most ridiculous post of the day goes too....

Archived