Tory MP Looking To Scrap The National Minimum Wage?

David

• Paid Members

pat, you do realize that while people don't "have" to do it, that the company will just employ those that WILL don't you? Which means that sure... you don't have to opt out, but you damned well better if you want to actually get a job.

As it stands, companies can employ people for less in some means, but it's not an overall right to do so (although companies like A4e forcing people to do Work Boosts in places like Poundland and the like are pretty much giving companies free, which should be stopped. There's enough voluntary work out there that can be done), if this comes in then they would be telling companies to feel free to do it, and do so above board with no fear of falling foul of the law through it, it's a green flag to only employ people willing to work below minimum wage, even if they aren't officially allowed to say that, they can give absolutely any reason as to why they took the person who opted out over one who didn't. But they wont need to, because the government would have already allowed them permission to do so simply by bringing the ruling in.

It's purely a way for companies to increase their profits, while decreasing their wage bill, during a time when people are struggling for work and are getting desperate.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I honestly don't get the argument of 'I've earned a shit wage in the past so it's fine for everyone else to', it's exactly the same as whenever there's discussion about industrial action someone says 'I've not had a pay-rise in 5 years so why should they'

pat, you do realize that while people don't "have" to do it, that the company will just employ those that WILL don't you? Which means that sure... you don't have to opt out, but you damned well better if you want to actually get a job.

As it stands, companies can employ people for less in some means, but it's not an overall right to do so (although companies like A4e forcing people to do Work Boosts in places like Poundland and the like are pretty much giving companies free, which should be stopped. There's enough voluntary work out there that can be done), if this comes in then they would be telling companies to feel free to do it, and do so above board with no fear of falling foul of the law through it, it's a green flag to only employ people willing to work below minimum wage, even if they aren't officially allowed to say that, they can give absolutely any reason as to why they took the person who opted out over one who didn't. But they wont need to, because the government would have already allowed them permission to do so simply by bringing the ruling in.

It's purely a way for companies to increase their profits, while decreasing their wage bill, during a time when people are struggling for work and are getting desperate.

Okay, that's it its all going to shit, I'm convinced now.

We are all going to be skivvies earning 2 and 6 because EVERYBODY is going to be earning less than the minimum wage and nothing will be able to be afforded and we are all going to live in rags and on the streets because no one can afford anything.

Market forces have tended to determine wages iirc, and if its too low then people wont go for the jobs, simple as. Fuck it I mean in the past yes them dark and distant days before the minimum wage and we all lived in sepia coloured cobbled streets or something

Surprisingly. before the minimum wage was introduced I was at work, earning and had more 'free' cash than Ive ever had and that was working for that bastion of Capitalism Tesco.. Plenty of other people had jobs that didnt pay well and they didnt have the we arent never gunna earn enough to do anything ever type thing attitude or that the world is going to end

I cant, ney refused to believe people have got so blinkered and narrow minded that its going to instantly turn to shit, everything is going back to the dark ages and we will all be put upon serfs who will be at the beck and call of our Masters at the Mill or something

No-one's saying everything will go to shit, it won't affect me at all as I'm in skilled work so I get semi decent wages and a company car and life's just about manageable.

But, those at the bottom of the pile will find it harder if this comes in.

I'll give an example, my first full time job was in a factory, working 48 hours a week. At

• Paid Members
Isnt the point that companies will chose the person who DOES agree to sign it over the one that doesnt? And yeah, I'd say it would become pretty much life altering for a lot of people.

Maybe they will, maybe they wont? Who's to say it will even be passed and if it is what effect it will have. How is it going to be so life altering?

Why wouldnt they? Seriously, if an unskilled job comes up (lets say McDonalds, just for sake of argument) and they need to hire 1 person, will they hire the guy who wants minimum wage or the one who agrees to take less?

And life altering... seriously, you're not stupid. How is being forced to work more hours not life altering? Lets look at a student who is working in order to pay tehir way through uni. If they are on less money then they have to work longer hours to get the same money, putting their uni work at risk. Or young people who have moved out of home (or been thrown out), they get screwed over on lower wages and have less to live on.

Or maybe they should all rely on state benefits instead...

• Paid Members

Okay, that's it its all going to shit, I'm convinced now.

We are all going to be skivvies earning 2 and 6 because EVERYBODY is going to be earning less than the minimum wage and nothing will be able to be afforded and we are all going to live in rags and on the streets because no one can afford anything.

Market forces have tended to determine wages iirc, and if its too low then people wont go for the jobs, simple as. Fuck it I mean in the past yes them dark and distant days before the minimum wage and we all lived in sepia coloured cobbled streets or something

Surprisingly. before the minimum wage was introduced I was at work, earning and had more 'free' cash than Ive ever had and that was working for that bastion of Capitalism Tesco.. Plenty of other people had jobs that didnt pay well and they didnt have the we arent never gunna earn enough to do anything ever type thing attitude or that the world is going to end

I cant, ney refused to believe people have got so blinkered and narrow minded that its going to instantly turn to shit, everything is going back to the dark ages and we will all be put upon serfs who will be at the beck and call of our Masters at the Mill or something

Well, sarkybollocks, if you're going to put it that way - of course we're not all going to be earning a sub-minimum wage, why would that be a factor? Some people will be, and I refuse to accept that it's acceptable. Yes, the market will find it's level... I believe that level will be unacceptable. People don't deserve to be trodden on by business, we should be in the people business, not the business business.

The more articles I read about this the more nauseous I begin to feel. If this goes through I guarantee that job interviews for unskilled jobs will end up coming down to who will be prepared to work the longest hours for the lowest hourly rate. First it'll be fast food workers, shelfstackers and cleaners, but then other companies will see it as a way to slash their own wage budget. "Sorry guys, the company isn't doing so well and we don't want to make anyone redundant so we've decided to slash three grand off of everyone's salary, sign here or find another job."

No-one's saying everything will go to shit, it won't affect me at all as I'm in skilled work so I get semi decent wages and a company car and life's just about manageable.

But, those at the bottom of the pile will find it harder if this comes in.

I'll give an example, my first full time job was in a factory, working 48 hours a week. At

Ayes - 5

Noes - 33

It won't get a second reading, thank fuck.

Ayes - 5

Noes - 33

It won't get a second reading, thank fuck.

Thank fuck only 5 people think like Pat.

So it was a storm in a fucking tea cup then. Quelle Surprise.

David, Your a real pal. Love you too schnookums

• Paid Members
Why wouldnt they? Seriously, if an unskilled job comes up (lets say McDonalds, just for sake of argument) and they need to hire 1 person, will they hire the guy who wants minimum wage or the one who agrees to take less?

And life altering... seriously, you're not stupid. How is being forced to work more hours not life altering? Lets look at a student who is working in order to pay tehir way through uni. If they are on less money then they have to work longer hours to get the same money, putting their uni work at risk. Or young people who have moved out of home (or been thrown out), they get screwed over on lower wages and have less to live on.

Or maybe they should all rely on state benefits instead...

How are you being forced to work more hours? to have the same income, so you can have a better/any quality of life. It comes down to what people are happy with and will accept. If that means going without creature comforts for some so be it. For those who havent got creature comforts as detailed above there is supposedly meant to be a support network to help off benefits.

Re the minimum wages re Maccies for example. Then it would have to be discussed after the job offer afaik and not before hand. Because of all the discriminatory schtick that is in place as mentioned before. Yes it can implied and inferred but wont be set in stone, and as said above its a case of taking something and moving on. Regarding less to live on its a choice that has to be made by the employee . So you cant afford sky or whatever its not the end of the freaking world and it is isnt forever unless you let yourself become a bleeding victim

As for the benefits thing. Ill gladly swap for a fixed body and working rather than sat on fucking benefits cheers. If I can get me back stable for more than a few secs then yeah I will be going back to work, and a less than minimum wage is likely to be more than what I get presently So it will be win win as will have a better quality of life, more cash and be able to interact and do stuff rather than sat on my increasing fat ass doing fuck all. I know plenty of people the same way and then those who are 'poor' yet are conciously making an effort to better themselves as they are not relying on the government or anyone else to do it for them.

Its like the point goes right over your head.

You have to work more hours to earn the same money as before. The ammount you need to live on. F*ck comforts, just to afford to eat and pay your bills. Wages are disclosed during an interview BTW, so it would be sorted then before an offer of eomplyment is made.

The benefits thing... again you miss the point. If a job is so low paid that they cant live on it then why will they come off of benefits? Whats the encouragement for them? What kind of idiot puts their 'self respect' above feeding their family?

Archived