Big Show holding IC Title oversees

xear

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Sting won the title in London and lost it in Dublin. That wasn't a secret though - it was acknowledge on TV and in WCW magazine.

Yup, there was a write-up of that tour in the first Superstars of Wrestling I bought. Tour was said to be very crowd pleasing, Bulldog getting the best reactions (obviously). Also pointed out that Vinnie Vegas (Big Kev) broke Smithers' nose in one match. A mate of mine went to the MEN leg and saw Sting defend the belt against dear old Regal.

That tour was the only time I've ever had floor seats for a proper wrestling show, at the event at the NEC. I remember them announcing Sting was WCW champion, but he didn't defend it in Brum. Had a tag match instead, I think it was a streetfight. I hadn't seen one before and found wrestlers wrestling in jeans a real novelty.

• Paid Members

I remember going to see a show at the NEC back when Jeff and Owen were tag champs. Then Kane comes out for a singles match with a tag title which was pretty confusing... Then later X-Pac came out with the other which was equally confusing. Then I watched Raw the next week and Kane and Pac won the titles from Jeff and Owen.

I think it turned out that the "Edge/Umaga wearing other wrestlers' clothes on house shows" thing was some massive in-joke/rib that eventually got stopped because, surprisingly, WWE lost patience with them pissing around in front of paying audiences. It was originally reported as Edge losing a bag of gear, but it later turned out to be bullshit (as evidenced by the other photos).

I remember going to see a show at the NEC back when Jeff and Owen were tag champs. Then Kane comes out for a singles match with a tag title which was pretty confusing... Then later X-Pac came out with the other which was equally confusing. Then I watched Raw the next week and Kane and Pac won the titles from Jeff and Owen.

I was at that show, and I'm pretty sure it was announced on the mic that Kane and X-Pac had won the tag titles.

On the subject of Title changes didn't someone (Tito Santana I think) continue to "defend" the IC Title at house shows even though he had already lost the Title days previously at a taping?

That's probably true. Back in the day the tv was taped weeks in advance. Until it had aired on tv, the previous title holder was still recognised as champ. So Tito could have won it but not officially as it hadn't broadcast yet. Which IIRC is why The Rockers never officially won the tag belts. In their title win over the Hart Foundation, the top rope snapped. During the time from them winning it to them actually being seen on TV as winning them, Vinny Mac decided the match would look weak because of the rope break and decided not to show/edit the footage(?) so the Hart's had a longer stretch as champs and The Rockers were resigned to history as never being tag champs, even though technically they were, albeit in a way that defies time, space and logic!

• Paid Members

My favourite title change is in WCW for the Tag Team Title.

Doom lost the belts to the Freebirds at the WrestleWar PPV on the 24th Feb 91. However 6 days before this happened at a tv taping the Steiners beat the Freebirds for the belts in a match that would air a few weeks later on TV.

This possibly makes the Freebirds the shortest reigning champions ever at minus 6 days

Doom lost the belts to the Freebirds at the WrestleWar PPV on the 24th Feb 91. However 6 days before this happened at a tv taping the Steiners beat the Freebirds for the belts in a match that would air a few weeks later on TV.

This possibly makes the Freebirds the shortest reigning champions ever at minus 6 days

Didn't Mick Foley tell a similar story in his 1st book that he and Kevin Sullivan were defending the tag titles before they even won them due to the shows been done on pre tape and was wasn't due to air until after the PPV.

That was very funnt and i'd never heard of that happening before.

On the note of people wearing each others ring gear. Wouldn't make sense to just wear it inside out? Umaga wearing Orton pants made me giggle though.

Archived