The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello, old boy. How the devil are you?

:) Very well thank you, I trust you are well?

I agree with all the points you made pretty much. Tonight was another perfect example. How can Allardyce continue to play this boring fucking style that everyone worked out about 5 years ago. He just has no imagination and cannot seem to work out how to kill games off. He brought Cole off for Carew at 1-0 up, and whilst neither sets the world alight, at least Cole can do SOMETHING. And Collison for Maynard at 1-0 with 20 minutes left....What can you say about that? Maynard was played out of position and then was swapped to close shop at one nil. That double substitution spurred them on as far as i'm concerned.

I know Tomkins came very close to killing it but we should be burying these games as it is. I lost count of how many times it was hoofed up to Cole who was, surprise surprise, being well marked and the attack came to nothing.

Little bit better either side of the half but there just seems to be no potency or urgency to work the goal into the net. Aimless balls from our own half and aimless balls from the wing. Fuck Sam Allardyce.

David James is better than Maradona.

We just have to accept how awesome we are

Relegation times, c'mon! It's a relegation :thumbsup:

Last night, one of the Barnsley contingent said to the other "Don't worry, League 1's not that bad!"

:) Very well thank you, I trust you are well?

I agree with all the points you made pretty much. Tonight was another perfect example. How can Allardyce continue to play this boring fucking style that everyone worked out about 5 years ago. He just has no imagination and cannot seem to work out how to kill games off. He brought Cole off for Carew at 1-0 up, and whilst neither sets the world alight, at least Cole can do SOMETHING. And Collison for Maynard at 1-0 with 20 minutes left....What can you say about that? Maynard was played out of position and then was swapped to close shop at one nil. That double substitution spurred them on as far as i'm concerned.

I know Tomkins came very close to killing it but we should be burying these games as it is. I lost count of how many times it was hoofed up to Cole who was, surprise surprise, being well marked and the attack came to nothing.

Little bit better either side of the half but there just seems to be no potency or urgency to work the goal into the net. Aimless balls from our own half and aimless balls from the wing. Fuck Sam Allardyce.

Long old day yesterday, I had a full day's work then covered possibly one of the worst games I've ever seen between Crystal Palace and Barnsley. An aimless, lifeless match full of misplaced passes. Both teams would move it neatly to the other end and then fudge the final ball or give the ball away cheaply. Then Palace scored right at the end. Easiest match report I've ever written. Plus the journey on the bus was fucking harrowing. It seems like every nutter was out last night.

When people snottily tell me that West Ham fans want too much, I remind them of the team which got promoted in 1992/93 under Billy Bonds. Billy felt we didn't have the players to play the West Ham way. The back four would move it across to Julian Dicks and he would welly it downfield to Trevor Morley, who'd flick it on, and we had Ian Bishop there as a decent passer if we picked up the pieces in midfield. That was long ball like we hadn't seen at West Ham but it was effective. The issue with this mob is that it's ineffective. It doesn't work and rather than tactically square the circle, Allardyce persists.

However, the real issue for me is we don't quite have the players to play it and we don't quite have the players to long ball it. That's transfer policy and it would have helped if, at the start of the season, they'd set out to try and form a squad, rather than just try and sign players Allardyce likes. As I said in the last post, he has no effective right winger and yet his formation demands it. He only has one tall anchorman and yet his formation demands it. Now everybody knows how we play and while we're not getting beaten, we're not winning at a time when everybody else is. Southampton are 7 ahead, Brighton are 7 behind. It looks like the playoffs.

Oh, not to spam the thread but Middlesbrough piss me off. In terms of financial doping, Middlesbrough are somewhere near the top of the list. Debt free because Steve Gibson puts in 1m per month. Without him, they wouldn't have built that pointless white elephant of a stadium and if he hadn't stayed on, they'd be looking at a Darlington-esque situation. He's been doing this for the best part of two decades and nobody does or says anything.

• Paid Members

With Fontaine now out for four games after losing the appeal, we've started looking at the youth setup we've had for ages reached into the loan market and plucked out a cardiff benchwarmer, The Artist Formerly Known As Andre Bikey and Hogan Ephraim from QPR.

Running mild indeed.

Dekel Keinan is alright, Bikey and Ephraim are pretty decent but it's difficult to see how they can get it together for the rest of the season. Bristol City deserve to get relegated, they've been terrible but will likely stay up because Portsmouth, Coventry and Doncaster have been bigger basketcases. If relegation does come, the real problem is that you can't trust this board, they're proven incompetents. A few boards are smart enough to be able to manage the repercussions of relegation and bounce straight back but League 1 is a fucking quagmire. A couple of missteps and next thing you know you're staring relegation to the old Fourth Division in the face. What happened to sensible Bristol City, the team who went to a Championship playoff final with a bunch of League 1 players?

With Fontaine now out for four games after losing the appeal, we've started looking at the youth setup we've had for ages reached into the loan market and plucked out a cardiff benchwarmer, The Artist Formerly Known As Andre Bikey and Hogan Ephraim from QPR.

Running mild indeed.

Was stupid appealing that, another for the Del is a bit 'thepecial' stakes is that. It's almost as if he wants us to go down

Dekel Keinan is alright, Bikey and Ephraim are pretty decent but it's difficult to see how they can get it together for the rest of the season. Bristol City deserve to get relegated, they've been terrible but will likely stay up because Portsmouth, Coventry and Doncaster have been bigger basketcases. If relegation does come, the real problem is that you can't trust this board, they're proven incompetents. A few boards are smart enough to be able to manage the repercussions of relegation and bounce straight back but League 1 is a fucking quagmire. A couple of missteps and next thing you know you're staring relegation to the old Fourth Division in the face. What happened to sensible Bristol City, the team who went to a Championship playoff final with a bunch of League 1 players?

Keinan I know not much off other than when Ive seen him he has had a shocker, Israeli international, he will need to fit in quick. Has been on loan at Palace this year, please dont be Ryan Mcrapan mark 2!

Bikey-Amougou, or whatever he is calling himself these days, is a thug, which would be great if our discipline wasnt to shit, can see him coming on his debut and getting sent off, which would be wonderous

Ephraim had a lot of potential. Seems to be drifting at the moment, doesnt really score or create, which is shit for a winger, and we already have wingers who can do nothing with the ball. Also has a a discipline issues iirc

Yes, we do deserve to go down, its all our fault, we have been shit for ages. Guernsey Red, took his eye off the ball and after we over achieved getting to the Play Off Final (this is despite should have gone up automatically, until Gary Johnson changed the way we played from 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2. Subtle, but we have never recovered from it) We have had a succession of shit managers (Im including Derek McInnes at this point) who have pissed money up against the wall on shit players and loanees and not addressed any of the problems we have had long term.

The problems start at the back

We have needed a new keeper since James effectively came to us, he is beyond woeful, but the name signing has blindsided many fans, because he is was the England Keeper at the World Cup. His kicking and distribution is beyond bad, his hips have gone by all accounts so explains some of it. He keeps making rudimentary mistakes, palming the ball back into the middle, punching, not catching and so on. He has the odd good game, but more often than not he is naff

We then need at least A Right Back, a Centre Back or two and a Left Back on a permanent basis, we have needed these players for at least two years, but have loaned in expecting the problems to be solved.McGivern is a left back my arse and if Foster is a right back you may as well call me Daisy. We relied too much on Steven Caulker to paper over the cracks, the fans could see it but the board was obliivious. Jamie McAllister has come back in out of the cold at left back after being on Loan at PNE and straight into the first team

In midfield we need some one who can control the ball and pass. They dont have to be the most creative guy in the world they just need to be able to make sure that we retain possession and can pick out a pass. Currently this is something or entire midfield is unable to do. Our fans though this player would be Kilkenny, some didnt because Kilkenny is in fact bollocks

Upfront is a strikers grave yard, we can actively take any striker and take them from goal machine at this level and make them inept. Previous winners of this award include Stern John, Iwelumo and a variety of others, Chris Wood is the current holder. After scoring 10 for Brum inc in Europe, he has scored a solitary goal for us. The less said about Brett' massively out of form this season' Pitman, the better.

We have form for dropping through the league like a stone, in fact we were the first club to be relegated in successive seasons from the Prem to the Basement league so we have form on that score as well.

Mikey there was no sensible Bristol City, there hasnt been since Guernsey Red took over. We have gone from a club with a total debt of around 1 million pounds and being nearly rans in the league below to racking up debts of 12 million pounds per season as we are now, blindsided by marquee players and a a new stadium white elephant. Things are not good

I see Portsmouth have made two more loan signings.

Disgraceful

We just sold our best goalkeeper, our captain and our top goalscorer. We havent paid any loan fees or wages for these two and it looks like they are only here for a month.

I know we are public enemy number 1 but if the league allows it, then we have to try to stay in the division as it might be the difference of being bought or liquidated at the end of the season.

Interesting note about Middlesbrough there - we aren't the only team with an embargo - Birmingham and Coventry also are on it (Birmingham cheekily signing 5 players - one of ours - before they were embargoed.

Yeah sorry, it probably was singling you out unfairly - I'm just looking out for number one, and Pompey are probably the most likely of the bottom 3 to pass us.

It's ridiculous. We run a tight ship. We have no debt. We don't have a pot to piss in. We have to get by on young players from the academy, and punts on lower league unproven players. Yet it's so frustrating when other clubs pull a signing out of a hat.

If you look back a couple of pages, I praised your fans when you came to Oakwell 6 weeks ago. I've nothing against Portsmouth fans - its just that the finances of football, and in particular Portsmouth, baffle me.

• Paid Members

Max is right, it's not fair. It's a shame what's gone on at Portsmouth but it shouldn't penalise clubs who are run properly and spend within their means. I was annoyed last month that Birmingham were allowed to sign 3 players just before being given a transfer embargo for failing to register their accounts. That isn't fair on the teams around them. Nor is Pompey being allowed to ship out players and bring in replacements who are being funded by other clubs.

The loan rules need changing in that way. If you want to loan a player, you should have to pay his wages in full. Something needs doing to stop clubs stacking up players and loaning them out willy nilly.

Archived