The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The full list of award winners is as follows:

npower Player of the Year - Championship (voted for by Football League club managers)

Peter Whittingham - Cardiff City

Rickie Lambert - Southampton

Adam Lallana - Southampton

npower Player of the Year - League 1 (voted for by Football League club managers)

Johnnie Jackson - Charlton Athletic

Jordan Rhodes - Huddersfield Town

Ched Evans - Sheffield United

npower Player of the Year - League 2 (voted for by Football League club managers)

Marlon Pack - Cheltenham Town

Tyrone Barnett - Crawley Town (now on loan at Peterborough United)

Matt Ritchie - Swindon Town

npower Football League Young Player of the Year

Matt Phillips - Blackpool

Lewis Dunk - Brighton & Hove Albion

Wilfried Zaha - Crystal Palace

Contribution to League Football

Graham Turner - Shrewsbury Town

Mitre Goal of the Year

Peter Whittingham (v Barnsley) Cardiff City - For

Darren Ambrose (v Manchester United) Crystal Palace

Peter Leven (v Port Vale) Oxford United

K

Just got back from Cardiff. Cracking night for the Tigers. Absolutely brilliant. Gotta be up for work in 5 hours! Worth it though.

Well played!

Kenny Miller had a shocker tonight, he was unlucky with hitting the post though, the Hull defence was solid throughout.

• Paid Members
Everybody is so inconsistent in this division and it's so tight that one solid win can change the complexion of your season.

Agree. We're consistently tough to beat though, last night made it 10 unbeaten and 8 clean sheets in 10 games.

We finally got a bit of luck though. McNaughton's own goal meant they came onto us and we killed them on the break. Might have got lucky with the disallowed goal but I've honesty no idea what the linesman saw. I did think the goalie was blocked but that happens every week.

I'm off to Palace on Saturday. Need a good result before the home game with Southampton on Tuesday.

How you feeling about Allardyce, mikey? I think he's a tit and has played it too safe. Watching us against Leeds we had the quality to bury that game, if only we had their desire. We just weren't throwing enough forward, but any time we stringing an attack together ON THE FUCKING FLOOR we looked very dangerous.

In terms of stats, we are unbeaten in 8, but four of those were draws. I know we've got something weird going on at home but seriously; Doncaster, Watford and Palace?? We should be finishing these games, and I don't buy any of that 'they park the bus' or 'its like a cup final for them' bollocks.

I'm really worried now, if saturday had been a play off semi or final, Leeds would have taken it. We need automatic promotion and we've got Middlesborough, Reading, Birmingham, Hull, Leicester and Brighton in our last ten games, ie all in the top half of the table. Im definitely worried.

Hello, old boy. How the devil are you?

I think there has been a failure in strategy across the whole season, in fact from the moment we were relegated last season. Is Allardyce inherently terrible? Not necessarily. Especially with the away form, I feel at times he's dragged us kicking and screaming to promotion. He's had some crappy luck with injuries. We can take three or four injuries but not in the same position and this is the issue in which we've found ourselves. A couple of games ago, we had two injuries which meant we couldn't lay our hand on a right back. Earlier in the season, all bar one of our centre backs were injured and we were forced to play the clearly-not-ready Dan Potts at left back and McCartney in the middle. Luck hasn't been on our side.

However, as I said, there's been a failure in strategy. Transfer policy has been wacky as fuck in particular. Rather than look at the division and see what works, we've gone out and bought a bunch of obvious, known quantity signings. Some have worked, like Faye, some have not, like Carew. We bought in Sam Baldock, who I thought looked a can't-miss prospect, and then decided he can't play in the formation he's played in at MK Dons for the last season-and-a-half. Then he's effectively replaced mid-season with Maynard, who looks like he'll never recapture his top game and who hasn't been in amazing form this season. Meanwhile we let Spector go, a vital cog in our squad, and ignored guys like Chris Burke. Both were picked up by Birmingham and the latter is fucking brilliant.

As such, we are playing this weird 4-3-3 with an anchorman and it's not adaptive enough. We have this one passing option for the defenders and teams just put a man on him - Wardrobe before, Tomkins now - and as such the defence are forced into lumping it. Either that or the wide men drop deep to link up with the full backs, we get bogged down out wide and cough it up cheaply. Given we don't switch play effectively, we end up losing the ball in a way that allows Allardyce to say the opposition are stonewalling. It's all too predictable. My view is we need to play a double pivot, maybe Noble alongside Tomkins and then allow Nolan to roam with Vaz Te on the left and get somebody to fill in on the right, as Faubert is still not up to the job. If we can do this, maybe we'll be able to give the ball into Maynard's feet because he has neither the stature, the ability nor the inclination to play as a targetman.

Let's remember though, this is still in the main a squad that was relegated in embarrassing fashion last year and those players aren't much better this year.

• Paid Members

Beaten tonight by the best team in the league. Not well beaten, 2-0 flattered them in the end though they might've run away with it early on. We're a good side but there's an obvious difference between our forward line and there's which has power, pace, energy and invention. Lallana's running from deep and Lambert's hold-up play are second to none. Saints are better than Norwich were last year. Better individuals and more mobile. Wonder if that will translate when they go up? It's not an if by the way, they are going up.

We're still on the fringe of the play-off's. Not too many games left against top sides now. West Ham away on the final day, Boro at home and Leicester away on Saturday. Otherwise, all games against bottom half teams. We've got a chance. It's a slim one though. We don't score enough goals, it's no coincidence.

LOLeeds!!!!!

Archived