The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Paid Members

Glad you enjoyed the day out in Brighton Rick, it was a good game and I thought either team could have won it. After letting in 9 in the last 3 games I am glad we kept the clean sheet and Casper Ankergren made a couple of decent saves as did Basso for you, the save from CMS header looked great. Credit to Hull for bringing so many fans to a game that wasn't going to be easy for them to get home from and was changed to an evening kick off after many would have already made plans for it being a 3pm start.

The ground isn't perfect but its great to have a proper stadium with 4 stands and roofs after 12 years of being at Withdean. The North stand actually holds slightly more than the away end, 2,688 compared to 2,575 but it does look small even from my seat in the top tier of the West stand. We are currently planning to submit the application to put another tier on the East and start filling in the corners which will expand the stadium to 30,000. The metal framework is already on the east for the extra tier to go in, it's covered by the American Express Community Stadium banner, all thats need is the concete stepwork cast and put in place for the seats to go on. Where the south isn't finished in the corner there are plans for another 10 executive boxes. It's not actually that hard to get away from the ground apart from midweek games when there are limited trains back to Brighton, although I have heard of problems with the university car parks being a bit of a nightmare to get out of.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Pearson is a fantastic manager, he came into Southampton in February 2008 with us deep in the shit, and rescued the team from relegation on the last game of the season. However our wonderful short sighted board decided his wages were too much so got a cheaper alternative in an untried dutch manager, which resulted in us being relegated and administration.

• Paid Members
Nigel Pearson is a fantastic manager, he came into Southampton in February 2008 with us deep in the shit, and rescued the team from relegation on the last game of the season. However our wonderful short sighted board decided his wages were too much so got a cheaper alternative in an untried dutch manager, which resulted in us being relegated and administration.

Wasn't he Carlisle manager at the time of that epic Jimmy Glass goal which kept them up? He's got an eye for talent as well it would seem.

• Paid Members
Topsy-turvy season again. Watched Palace throw the kitchen sink at a stubborn Bristol City last night. McGivern is probably wishing he hadn't left Selhurst Park after a torrid evening with Zaha.

If we had an end-product to speak of, you'd have been forked by half-time.

• Paid Members
Not a Palace fan, seph, but they are my beat. I think Palace put balls in the box but dogged defending and playing Cisse virtually as a third centre back snuffed out a lot of chances.

This is one of the things that Millen fucked badly - he never used Cisse, and the man's had two great games for two. It's just these stupid lapses by the aforementioned Nyatanga and both McGivern and McAllister (mainly from the left side) that have lead to improbable goals against the run of play, and each one deflates the team as a whole.

Ive never seen the love in for McGivern and I said as much when he came to us on loan. He has been fucking awful in general where ever he has been and that is no different now. What Man City see in him god only knows.

The Clear out at City has begun as the old boy network in the coaching staff is starting to get undon with Alan Walsh resigning (his daughter is married to Kelsey Grammer you know? exciting isnt it :D)

The frustrating and utterly incredulous thing is, that we arent playing awfully, and thats completely maddening. If we were utter turd then fine I dont think many would have complaints, but we arent which is why its even more gallling that we are bottom and adrift.

Saying that though, DJ should retire, he has been awful all season, was again all over the place tonight by all accounts and has cost us points left right and centre this season. People can take the piss out of Gerken all they like, but he is far more reliable than a keeper who is well past it and trading on reputation alone. I did say this would happen, but no one would listen, because we had England's Number One. and that negated everything.

Edit FWIW re Cisse, apparently a ruck/disagreement was had at Bath City and it was made clearly that Millen and Cisse had personal differences

• Paid Members
Saying that though, DJ should retire, he has been awful all season, was again all over the place tonight by all accounts and has cost us points left right and centre this season. People can take the piss out of Gerken all they like, but he is far more reliable than a keeper who is well past it and trading on reputation alone. I did say this would happen, but no one would listen, because we had England's Number One. and that negated everything.

Now I'm in agreement. Last year he was bad in patches but could put in very decent shifts. This season he dropped two goals single-handedly and on Saturday let a fatso beat him from 25 yards. I get the feeling that regardless of how Birmingham do this week James has got no chance against them on Sunday.

Archived