The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Birmingham City going into administration tomorrow word going round down here - statement due tomorrow as well.

Daily Mirror's Back Page for tomorrow afaik, cant get the link working properly to display So here is the link

• Paid Members
Daily Mirror's Back Page for tomorrow afaik, cant get the link working properly to display So here is the link

Pannu has already been in the press saying the club need to sell. Testing times for them, but I still reckon Hughton will guide them to promotion. Then he'll no doubt become a victim of his own success again when he gets sacked midway into their Premiership return due to a lack of experience, which will be just a stupid as when he was dismissed at Newcastle.

Rumours this way that Stephen McPhail has been diagnosed with cancer again/ or has reoccurred based of someone's twitter feed i think. Poor sod if true and hopes he manages to fight it again

Rumours this way that Stephen McPhail has been diagnosed with cancer again/ or has reoccurred based of someone's twitter feed i think. Poor sod if true and hopes he manages to fight it again

I beleive its true. Its just been on the local BBC Radio. What a bummer. He had 2 years at Barnsley, and was a top player. Still is. Seems a decent chap too. Best wishes.

As someone from Alfreton I must say that is a good confidence boost for the side! I'm a Forest fan first but to see a local side do well is always nice, hopefully they can push on from a good pre-season in their first season in the BSP.

• Awards Moderator
*scratches head*

Alfreton Town 14 (fourteen) - 0 Sheffield Wednesday XI.

Maybe the reserves but blimey that is a horrendous scoreline to be associated with.

Yeah, they put their youth team out by the sounds of things. Wednesday's first team played yesterday and held Stoke to a 0-0 draw. That said, even for a youth team, a 14-0 stuffing can't do much good for their confidence!

It was the Academy side and anyone who posts or reads on Owls Talk knows that for 2-3 years that it is a laughing stock with no-one having a good word for it or the way it is run. This describes the situation adequately...

'A load of young inexperienced lads associated with a league one side, the majority of which will never play pro football, get hammered by some older, more experienced, decent non-league players.'

Also note that a Blackpool XI were beat by Kendal Town 9-0

• Admin

There are so many inaccuracies in that story I wonder if the person who wrote it was monged. It's Gary Hoffman, not Ken, and Aidy Boothroyd was sacked about 6 months ago.

This story re: Gary Hoffman and a potential takeover has been doing the rounds in Coventry for a long, long time now. Most people are sick of our current owners (SISU) who are unwilling to invest anything in the club and are selling assets to pay the bills, the last of which was the one profitable operation we owned - ProZone. So anyone that can oust SISU for good gets my backing.

The fact that we're starting the season in less than a week and we haven't even got a first 11 really speaks volumes about the total lack of money Andy Thorn has had to work with.

They're isn't a stronger bet in football, at the minute, than Coventry to go down. We really are nobbled from every which angle.

Apparently we wanted to sign Adam Le Fondre from Rotherham, but the deal fell apart when it emerged the tight gets wanted a transfer fee for their contracted player. What utter bastards.

• Paid Members
Rumour has it that Coventry might see some major investment soon, though the story on Sky Sports is really confusing:

Hold on a tick, when Did Boothroyd get his job back?

Lol my work mate who is a big Cov fan - advises 'Do not read into this, false hope', I think they may go down this year.

• Paid Members

I'm quietly confident that we'll have a good season. We've got a squad of generally young players with a smattering of experience. We've now got a bit of depth, which we lacked last season, we've got pace, which we lacked too and we've got the ability to play any formation you like.

There isn't a better back five in the division than Gulasci; Rosenior, Chester, Hobbs and Dudgeon. Rumour has it that Ayala might be back shortly too, which would further strengthen us.

In midfield, we've got several superb players, Koren, Evans, McKenna, Brady and Stewart (back October). Tom Cairney is showing something like the form he displayed in the PL a couple of years back and there's also Olofinjana and Bullard though I doubt they'll figure much.

Up front, Matty Fryatt is as good as any goal sniffer in the league. After that, we're not great. Simpson and McLean are alright and Big Dele Adebola is an option. Nick Barmby is still the cleverest player in the football league but his legs limit him to 30 mins or so these days.

I think we'll finish somewhere between 5th and 10th. Probably just outside the play-off's. If we could afford to buy someone to really link midfield and attack, I think we'd go up.

Archived