WWEs Top 25 Managers

Snitsky's back acne

WWE.Com has listed what they consider to be the Top 25 managers of all time.....

24. Marlena/Terri Runnels

22. Armando Alejandro Estrada

I dont agree with these at all. The rest of the list was fine for me (the people i knew anyways). Terri Runnels barely spoke and Armando wasn't around anywhere near long enough to be considered for a list like this.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Such a shame about Armando, being around during a period when WWE wasn't big on having managers. I thought he was great with Umaga, and just as great during his brief stint as ECW General Manager. Look at the guy! Looks like a sleazy, but fucking cool version of the Man From Del Monte.

Seeing Michael Hayes on the list has reminded me of a promo he did when he was managing the Hardy Boyz in '99, it ended with him saying "I lead by example" then he walked off with a determined look on his face, not having seen any of his Freebirds stuff I couldn't understand why Dok Hendrix had suddenly started acting like he was hard as fuck

It also reminds me that Hayes wearing roughly the same gear as the Hardys made him look like an absolute wanker

• Moderators
Seeing Michael Hayes on the list has reminded me of a promo he did when he was managing the Hardy Boyz in '99, it ended with him saying "I lead by example" then he walked off with a determined look on his face, not having seen any of his Freebirds stuff I couldn't understand why Dok Hendrix had suddenly started acting like he was hard as fuck

It also reminds me that Hayes wearing roughly the same gear as the Hardys made him look like an absolute wanker

Hayes was only 39 then as well. The road really took it's toll on him, didn't it?

Hayes was only 39 then as well. The road really took it's toll on him, didn't it?

Jesus was he? He looked terrible, his ring work was shite as well, remember laughing like fuck when he was stumbling around the ring like he was pissed then Bradshaw absolutely twatted him with the Clothesline from Hell

Such a shame about Armando, being around during a period when WWE wasn't big on having managers. I thought he was great with Umaga, and just as great during his brief stint as ECW General Manager. Look at the guy! Looks like a sleazy, but fucking cool version of the Man From Del Monte.

He was shit the other week with Tyson Kidd though.

He was shit the other week with Tyson Kidd though.

I downloaded this weeks Superstars in the hope of seeing a cool old-school manager with Tyson.

It's fair to say that I was pissed off when it turned out to be....

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

fucking JTG.

Have they re-signed Armando then, or was it just a one-off?

WWE.Com has listed what they consider to be the Top 25 managers of all time.....

25. The Genius

Fair enough. On the one hand, The Genius is pretty underrated as a character. Some of it was cheap heat for the effeminate prancing around sure, but his poems were always a good laugh and actually quite clever. On the other, he didn't really achieve much in kayfabe terms (which is what this seems to be based on) outside the Perfect feud with Hogan so it's hard to rank him much higher especially given that he basically had a pretty short run (late 1989-early 1990; very late 1991-1992). Had the Beverlys gotten a tag title run I think you could make that case for him.

24. Marlena/Terri Runnels

Hard to argue with. Sure it wasn't an original concept (putting the "gay" character with a female like Adrian Street & Miss Linda) but Marlena added a quite a bit to Goldust's gimmick. The whole female movie director thing was very 1990s as well so at least it fitted the 'era'.

Whilst I've seen the above bits mentioned (and even praised) before, one thing that never seems to get brought up n a lot of ways her character was the opposite of Goldust. In that he was this over the top, flamboyant, sex maniac and she was the type to never let her blood pressure rise or even react to his matches whether he was winning or losing. Loved the way he'd be rolling around and throwing out all these wild sexual innuendos and then she would just say "Cut!" at the end of his segments.

The silent, disinterested gimmick was a total contrast to the screaming, over-excitable characters a lot of women in wrestling play. Her sitting backstage with the champagne on ice at WrestleMania XII summed up her character perfectly.

On the other hand her later stuff after wasn't really any different from a lot of other Divas so I suppose it depends whether you think that devalues her 1996-97 run.

23. Michael Hayes

Love Hayes but based on his he doesn't really have a place on here. I liked the idea of Hayes as the manager of the Hardyz (two C-Show guys who had all the in-ring tools but hadn't shown any speaking skills that were considered the most important thing in the so-called 'Raw Is Talk' period) and he was involved in some good matches in the role but his run was so short I don't think it warrants a place.

He actually had a much more prominent role as an announcer/interviewer/co-host and those times he turns up once a year to deliver an awesome promo on some heel in the last decade than he did managing in WWF/E.

22. Armando Alejandro Estrada

21. Theodore R Long

Armando and Teddy were the two best male managers of the last decade. Shame they were in WWE at a time when managers weren't in as much favour as the past.

Armando in particular really got over Umaga and as much as I liked Umaga I don't think he was the same without them. Really the last proper manager to be given a decentish sized role and he excelled in the role. The Umaga/Estrada double act had tremendous chemistry, which played out not just with Armando cutting promos for him but also during their matches. Before the end of every match, Estrada would remove a Cuban cigar from his suit jacket and break it in half which served as the signal for Umaga to deliver the Samoan Spike. Really, I thought Estrada was awesome in his role with If you need a reminder of how good he was, watch Royal Rumble 2007 where a great match is made even better due to the presence of a manager as you have Estrada psych-up Umaga whilst he waited in the ring and the slow stare-down. That's actually my pick for one of the best matches of the last decade from a company that "no longer sees the need for managers" and it heavily involved a manager. He was at Paul Heyman during War Games '92 level throughout that badboy.

Given who is above him I think he should be at least couple of places higher, probably more.

Long didn't have the same level of success in terms of prominence but he did do a did a good job adding a bit of sizzle to people like D-Lo Brown, Rodney Mack, Jazz, Mark Henry and Mark Jindrak. His only weakness was that whilst I wouldn't call him a "cool heel" as such but he had that certain swagger that just screamed confidence both at ringside and on the mike the only danger might have been he might have ended up getting some cheers eventually which isn't something you want in a heel manager.

In both cases it is a shame managers weren't emphasised like they used to be because it would be interesting to see how they compared to the greats of the past. I don't think either would be Top 10 but both would be a lot higher than they are there. Even as it is Armando should definitely be 'Top 20' at the lowest when compared to some of those other names which brings me to...

20. Oliver Humperdink

Loved the guy and rate his work elsewhere but I think even he admitted he wasn't a fan of his babyface run with Bam Bam Bigelow. He actually seems to get a bit of a bad rap for it since I've seen him called a "bad" manager more than once before which seems to be based entirely on people who had only seen that run.

The sad thing is I do think he could have had something to offer WWF if his run had been a bit longer and he had turned heel and gone on to manage a few others but his actual run was very short. No problem with him being on the list since he was a great talker but for such a short and (in the grand scheme of things) irrelevant run it seems too high.

25. The Genius

Fair enough. On the one hand, The Genius is pretty underrated as a character. Some of it was cheap heat for the effeminate prancing around sure, but his poems were always a good laugh and actually quite clever. On the other, he didn't really achieve much in kayfabe terms (which is what this seems to be based on) outside the Perfect feud with Hogan so it's hard to rank him much higher especially given that he basically had a pretty short run (late 1989-early 1990; very late 1991-1992). Had the Beverlys gotten a tag title run I think you could make that case for him.

I never knew what to make of ol

I would of put chyna in there somewhere she did wonders for Triple H and DX back in the day

Oh that's interesting, for some reqason she's never registered in my brain as a manager, more of a bodyguard.

Can we count Diesel if we include Chyna?

Archived