Are 'Gimmicks' a necessity in the modern era or a hinderance?

The Great Muta

The recent thread of Greg Burridge and his self promotion is a great example of it being done well with a British worker. Burridge has a charachter that he is an old school cockeny and is pushed really strong and heavy thats who he is and it is clearly defined. He is not a gimmick such as a pirate or what have you.

I believe gimmicks / characters are vital in the british scene. Let me ask you this question, with no disrespect intended to the wrestlers mentioned:

You are at an All Star show, in Butlins or suchlike. The audience is 98% kids and their parents. Who will the crowd remember at the end of the night - Martin Kirby, or Flatliner?

Strange comparison really, since Kirby does a really good over-the-top character that would likely to be memorable to kids. I see the point you're getting at, but I think Kirby doing his crybaby character would get over just fine with the kids and parents.

As WWE is the global leader in the wrestling industry they heavily influence what an audience expects from a wrestling show. Since the WWE has gone the PG route the product is now mostly aimed at kids. This leads me to assume that kids in the UK go to British promotions expecting the same type of wrestling they see on TV albeit on a smaller scale.

Wrestling first started getting popular and mainstream in the 80s with kid friendly Hulkamania, went more risqu

Archived