WORLD Wrestling Entertainment

SK8_WAR

In practice, it's fully independent; it's run by its own government, has its own economy and laws, national and cultural identity, issues its own currency and passports, etc. The main reason why China hasn't simply invaded to re-claim it is because the US has repeatedly said it will take action if that happens.

Yeah basically if China ever invades Taiwan and the US keeps its word then it's WWIII.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
In practice, it's fully independent; it's run by its own government, has its own economy and laws, national and cultural identity, issues its own currency and passports, etc. The main reason why China hasn't simply invaded to re-claim it is because the US has repeatedly said it will take action if that happens.

Yeah basically if China ever invades Taiwan and the US keeps its word then it's WWIII.

's gonna change, though. China's just biding its time - they know they're gonna rule the world soon, with the US in decline economically and all.

I've been learning Mandarin recently, I figure I should get in on the ground floor. Our inevitable Oriental overlords will need people to overseer the Caucasian slaves in the sugar mines.

's gonna change, though. China's just biding its time - they know they're gonna rule the world soon, with the US in decline economically and all.

How does that work, anyway? Isn't national debt just a virtual construct? If China gets all high and mighty about economical matters, can't the goodies just team up and beat them? We did it before when China (or some other country but the people were the same make as China's) was tagging with Germany in the 40s. I'm reducing global economy and such to stupid nonsense for unsuccessful comic effect, but I really don't grasp quite how it all works. I must have had some idea once, back when I knew what the Wall Street Crash was all about and could name the Dutch bloke who got done for the Reichstag fire. Do a simplify of it for me!

• Paid Members

How does that work, anyway? Isn't national debt just a virtual construct? If China gets all high and mighty about economical matters, can't the goodies just team up and beat them? We did it before when China (or some other country but the people were the same make as China's) was tagging with Germany in the 40s. I'm reducing global economy and such to stupid nonsense for unsuccessful comic effect, but I really don't grasp quite how it all works. I must have had some idea once, back when I knew what the Wall Street Crash was all about and could name the Dutch bloke who got done for the Reichstag fire. Do a simplify of it for me!

Not overly familiar with it all myself, but the general thrust of it appears to be that, apart from having several times more capacity for a developed industrial base and a workforce unparalleled on this planet, China's economic system has allowed it to "opt out" of the current economic climate, and thus the crisis which hit us hasn't really hit them. They're able to artificially manipulate the value of their currency, the Yuan, to influence importing and exporting.

Also, another VERY important factor, amongst others: China has a shitload more natural resources than most countries, but in the modern world, they've got something that counts for double or triple of that: rare earth metals. These elements are essential to the manufacture of most modern communication technologies like mobile phones, dongles, laptops and what-have-you - and around 90% of the world's known supplies of rare earth metals are in China. They have a naturally bestowed stranglehold on what has rapidly become an incredibly important market.

• Paid Members

Wouldn't surprise me - their shipbuilding capacity is insane. I used to work for the Japan Ship Centre (very boring job dealing with shipbuilding and maritime machinery information), and one of the few things I learned was that, at the time, Korea and Japan were the two world's largest shipbuilding nations, and they were all booked to capacity for the next ten years, while China was catching up fast.

Fast forward to now, and China is now the world's biggest shipbuilder and still taking on more and more contracts. It's scary just how much manufacturing capacity they have across the board, not just maritime.

• Paid Members
I've been learning Mandarin recently, I figure I should get in on the ground floor.

Apologies for continuing the drift from topic, but am I right in thinking you

Also, Hong Kong is officially part of China, so technically there is wrestling in China.

Is Taiwan not a part of China also?

Big political dispute and a massive grey area, as far as I know. Taiwan, being capitalist, claims to be the real China, while China, being communist, claims that Taiwan is merely a breakaway rebel settlement. IIRC, China has vetoed Taiwanese membership of the UN, or something like that, and gets really aggressive toward any nation who declares recognition of Taiwan as a separate state from China, so its official status as a nation or a region of China isn't quite clear.

Brilliant post, thanks very much for that. Very well summed up in a few sentences there. Yet again, I have learned something today; that

• Paid Members
Also, Hong Kong is officially part of China, so technically there is wrestling in China.

Is Taiwan not a part of China also?

Big political dispute and a massive grey area, as far as I know. Taiwan, being capitalist, claims to be the real China, while China, being communist, claims that Taiwan is merely a breakaway rebel settlement. IIRC, China has vetoed Taiwanese membership of the UN, or something like that, and gets really aggressive toward any nation who declares recognition of Taiwan as a separate state from China, so its official status as a nation or a region of China isn't quite clear.

Brilliant post, thanks very much for that. Very well summed up in a few sentences there. Yet again, I have learned something today; that

True enough. I happen to have been reading up on recently, so thought I'd bore everyone with my knowledge :p It's a fucking bizarre story.

I've always maintained that everyone learns differently, and that you have to find your own, optimal method. I learn particularly well from one-on-one, guided lessons, but I also do pretty well from the classic Teach-Yourself Book with CD/Tape combo.

Others might learn better from group lessons, some can even pick up the language just by hanging around with speakers of the language.

My maritime-related job was boring, but easy work. I know more about Wartsila and MAN Diesel, Azimuth thrusters and Chinese shipyards than I care to, but the knowledge has come in useful in really hard pub quizzes. What's it you do?

Again Bomberman, thanks for the advice. I

• Paid Members

There's a hentai anime actually called "City Of Sin". Only saw a five minute clip, so not entirely sure what it's about, except the basic premise that it's a mediaeval city in which everyone fucks a lot. A bit like Newcastle/Bigg Market.

There's a hentai anime actually called "City Of Sin". Only saw a five minute clip, so not entirely sure what it's about, except the basic premise that it's a mediaeval city in which everyone fucks a lot. A bit like Newcastle/Bigg Market.

Seriously!? Ha haa!

Who

Archived