WORLD Wrestling Entertainment

SK8_WAR

• Paid Members
Glenn Jacobs (Kane) was born in Spain, someone else to add to the list

No, because he's still an American citizen, and his character has never at any point been referred to as Spanish.

Also, Hong Kong is officially part of China, so technically there is wrestling in China.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure it's valid in this day and age, looks like there's no wrestling scene in China simply because people don't care too much for this type of spectacle.

Some quick Googling reveals that not only do the WWE have an office in Shanghai, but the series of shows the company did in 2010 were completely sold out within the first hour of going on sale. WWE programming also airs in ten Chinese provinces giving them a potential viewing audience of ninety million households. I've been saying for a long time that the Chinese market has the potential to be a goldmine for a company like the WWE and that they should really be making an effort to track down to talent of Chinese nationality or heritage to give the Chinese audience somebody to tune in to watch, in the same way Khali did for the people of India.

• Paid Members

I assume that historically China's not really had pro wrestling because it's an inherently capitalistic concept: it's not a competitive sport, it's not an artform that provides a message suitable for communism (it's about individual conflict, though I guess DiBiase could have had a good run as top heel there though), and it's primary/sole purpose is to make money. In the same way, Russia doesn't appear to have had any major shows until Inoki visited in 89.

India may not have much now, but historically wrestling was a major deal there with plenty of stadium shows.

Some quick Googling reveals that not only do the WWE have an office in Shanghai, but the series of shows the company did in 2010 were completely sold out within the first hour of going on sale.

I thought they'd only ever done the one mini-show there, for the Shanghai Expo.

and in FCW their development (where Kenny Li lasted a few or one match on tv) they have.

Alexander Rusev - from Bulgaria

Erick Rowan - i don't know but has NORSE on his attire.

Jason Mullen - Northern Irish (isn't he that TRON guy)

Kenneth Cameron - Chesterfield, England

Monty Lynch - Rampage Brown from Leeds, England

Peter Orlov - formerly Alex Kozlov in AAA from Russia

and finally Russell Walker from New Zealand i believe.

• Paid Members
I assume that historically China's not really had pro wrestling because it's an inherently capitalistic concept: it's not a competitive sport, it's not an artform that provides a message suitable for communism (it's about individual conflict, though I guess DiBiase could have had a good run as top heel there though), and it's primary/sole purpose is to make money. In the same way, Russia doesn't appear to have had any major shows until Inoki visited in 89.

India may not have much now, but historically wrestling was a major deal there with plenty of stadium shows.

Much as I prefer DiBiase, I think JBL would've been the uber-heel in China - DiBiase was always a rich man who focused more on what he did with his money, whilst JBL's character was more about his arrogance at how he made his money, not to mention he's a Republican libertarian in real life anyway. They never specified whether DiBiase was a "self-made man" or from old money - whilst both are abhorrent to the Chinese dogma, the latter is something the US doesn't tend to talk about much, whereas they regularly display their pride in the former and hold it as one of their most valued principles.

I remember Regal talking of trips to India to wrestle, where he would apparently perform in front of big crowds and have their likenesses painted onto walls in the area to promote the events. I

• Paid Members
Also, Hong Kong is officially part of China, so technically there is wrestling in China.

Is Taiwan not a part of China also?

Big political dispute and a massive grey area, as far as I know. Taiwan, being capitalist, claims to be the real China, while China, being communist, claims that Taiwan is merely a breakaway rebel settlement. IIRC, China has vetoed Taiwanese membership of the UN, or something like that, and gets really aggressive toward any nation who declares recognition of Taiwan as a separate state from China, so its official status as a nation or a region of China isn't quite clear.

In practice, it's fully independent; it's run by its own government, has its own economy and laws, national and cultural identity, issues its own currency and passports, etc. The main reason why China hasn't simply invaded to re-claim it is because the US has repeatedly said it will take action if that happens.

I remember Regal talking of trips to India to wrestle, where he would apparently perform in front of big crowds and have their likenesses painted onto walls in the area to promote the events. I

Is Taiwan not a part of China also?

Big political dispute and a massive grey area, as far as I know. Taiwan, being capitalist, claims to be the real China, while China, being communist, claims that Taiwan is merely a breakaway rebel settlement. IIRC, China has vetoed Taiwanese membership of the UN, or something like that, and gets really aggressive toward any nation who declares recognition of Taiwan as a separate state from China, so its official status as a nation or a region of China isn't quite clear.

In practice, it's fully independent; it's run by its own government, has its own economy and laws, national and cultural identity, issues its own currency and passports, etc. The main reason why China hasn't simply invaded to re-claim it is because the US has repeatedly said it will take action if that happens.

Brilliant post, thanks very much for that. Very well summed up in a few sentences there. Yet again, I have learned something today; that

• Paid Members
Tamina & The Usos I'd imagine are American, but of Fijian and Samoan descent respectively being offspring from the Snuka and Fatu families.

And Puerto Rico is not an independant state, part of USA.

Hi, if they have permission from FIFA to qualify to the World Cup they have to be an independant state ;)

Like Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, then?

Should McIntyre and Ryan have been classed as English wrestlers for the purposes of this thread?

No! British! Honestly Pity...

I believe this is the first time a wrestler from all the UK nations has been represented at one time in the WWE. Plus with a South African wrestler in Gabriel...if I were an Australian wrestler I'd be stepping my game up, as the WWE often do tours Down Under and Australia/New Zealand are the only major English-speaking nation(s) without a superstar at present. So anyone know of any Aussie wrestler who could make it?

Nathan Jones.

In seriousness, does anyone know what he's doing now?

Archived