The old days thread - WWF's cartoon era

IANdrewDiceClay

That psychedelic Owen Hart badge is fantastic. I love the unbelievable! one too and everything that was centered around that glorious word back then. I love how loud the company was. Even daft little things like the VHS covers that would describe this as not just being any old Survivor Series but a three hour, star sudded, MEGA event.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha I know what you mean about VHS. I miss the old school silvervision disclaimer too. Can't remember it exactly but was along the lines of 'Do not attempt to copy their performances or actions', 'This programme is solely intended for your viewing pleasure' A right old sounding guy used to read it out to you :)

You'd then have a massive wide shot of the arena with Vince doing his 'Welcome everyone to (whatever)' in his really weird shouty voice. Sometimes Gorilla Monsoon opened with 'The noise is deafening here in the (wherever)'

Good good memories :)

I loved the Todd Pettingill countdown shows on those tapes almost as much as the events themselves. A couple of scenarios would always constantly occur. Todd would get lost in the crowd, he would get interrupted by Vince testing out the headsets, he would illustrate what would happen if you didn't order right away by covering the camera of simulating some sort of darkness ... great stuff.

I watched SummerSlam 93 last night. The event is very dull but the Pettingill countdown show is done from his living room. Nothing but build up vignettes intersped with scenes of Todd lounging about eating nachos and looking for his remote.

I loved the Todd Pettingill countdown shows on those tapes almost as much as the events themselves. A couple of scenarios would always constantly occur. Todd would get lost in the crowd, he would get interrupted by Vince testing out the headsets, he would illustrate what would happen if you didn't order right away by covering the camera of simulating some sort of darkness ... great stuff.

I watched SummerSlam 93 last night. The event is very dull but the Pettingill countdown show is done from his living room. Nothing but build up vignettes intersped with scenes of Todd lounging about eating nachos and looking for his remote.

I liked the WMX one where he was wandering around the crowd, interviewing the Clinton lookalike et al, and they were quite good for showing clips from recent months to tell the story of a feud and how it got to a PPV match - but considering they took up half an hour or more, I always wanted a prelim match, like they later went on to do with the Free For Alls.

Summerslam 93 is a weird one imo. I love it from a nostalgic point of view, and even in it's own merits it's still a pretty entertaining event as a whole. But when you break it down on a match by match basis, there wasn't all that much in the way of great wrestling. Luger & Yokozuna was better than expected, although still only moderately good. We all know about the Perfect/HBK letdown, and Marty Jannetty being treated like Barry Hardy. The Razor/Kid/Money Inc matches were pretty much throwaway and would've been better as a single tag match. Obviously, Hitman/King/Doink was class as a segment, without the matches themselves being in-ring classics. Then you had Steiners/Bodies, and the 6 man tag which brought some much needed quality to it. The 6 man tag was particularly fun.

I guess it's one of those shows where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

i also loved todd doing the countdown shows on video releases (so glad SV kept them in on the tagged classics). summerslam 96 was one of my personal faves with todd running around the backstage beach party. the preview shows these days just dont have the same feel to them

• Paid Members
summerslam 96 was one of my personal faves with todd running around the backstage beach party.

Mine too.

wwe-diva-tammy-lynn-sytch-aka-sunny-12.jpg

Luckily my Ultimate Warrior one survived, I think I've still got it at home. I always thought it was just Warrior and Hogan that you could get but I'm sure I've seen a Macho Man one. Does anyone know if there were more?

Macho King, Bossman, Jake, DiBiase, Hawk, Animal. I think that was the lot.

summerslam 96 was one of my personal faves with todd running around the backstage beach party.

Mine too.

wwe-diva-tammy-lynn-sytch-aka-sunny-12.jpg

Was that the one where you thought someone had shat in the pool but it was just a Mars Bar?

It's weird watching it because it's the summer of 96 so it's still the new generation era with silly gimmicks and wacky jokes and then at the end of the Free for all thing Austin walks through on the way to his match with Yokozuna. He looks so out of place alongside Sparky Plugg and Aldo Montoya.

• Paid Members
Was that the one where you thought someone had shat in the pool but it was just a Mars Bar?

Yeah or at least some kind of chocolate bar. TL Hopper (Dirty White Boy in his brief plumber gimmick) fished it out, before eating it, to Pettingil's disgust.

To review the BlastOff in full -

lame humour *

Sub-par Austin-Yokozuna match * 1/2

Sunny-related wank *****

Yeah or at least some kind of chocolate bar. TL Hopper (Dirty White Boy in his brief plumber gimmick) fished it out, before eating it, to Pettingil's disgust.

Probably a Baby Ruth.

Sunny-related wank *****

You'd have to be quick though, someone had the bright idea of showing her for about 5 seconds of a 10 minute segment.

That quick glimpse aside, the beach blast-off paled in comparison to the following year with Sunny in that $Million keyhole shit. That baldy lad must've been close to combusting.

Archived