The old days thread - WWF's cartoon era

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that blue sticker album with Watrrior / Hogan on the cover a European version of the black cover version we had here in the UK? It was the first one that came out and also had the Superstars logo. I've never seen that blue version before.

EDIT: Apologies, looked at the wrong album.

Fucking hell. My parents must have donated a small fortune to WWF via merchandise. From those pics alone, I had:

- Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior Wrestling Buddies

- Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart and British Bulldog pin brooches

- WWF Super WrestleMania and WWF Raw on the SNES

- Replica WWF title belt

- The Bret Hart/Undertaker Merlin sticker albums.

- The WWF duvet set (easily the most nostalgic of those pics for me :()

- Countless Hasbro figures and issues of WWF Magazine.

Oh well. At least it wasn't money wasted as I'm still a wrestling fan in my 20s! Oh, and I'd definitely wear that nightmarish Hogan jacket out to a club if I could get my hands on it.

Thanks Ian for that tremendous post, brings back a lot of memories.

Looking at them, the first thing I feel is the fact I was a spoilt little shit as I've owned a good 75% of the merchandise there. I never ever saw that awesome duvet set though, that is magnificient. I had to make do with a Super Mario set instead. I had all of those pin broches except the Warrior one. The only other stuff on there I can't remember owning is the caps and the Hogan and Warrior jackets. I also remember having a Warrior and Hogan bath salts set thingy from Superdrug, then when I'd finished those off I had a Bret Hart and Big Boss Man one too. Vividly remember owning that clock, and the L.O.D pencil case as I'd mentioned previously. Obviously all the games were classic if a tad awful gameplay at the time, I used to just leave the character selection screen on the theme musics and then strut around my bedroom to the entrances. Tragic.

I remember some other trading cards aswell as the gold ones, I think these ones were made by Merlin, would have been rougly 91/92, and you bought the entire set from Woolies in one plastic casing, it was just a picture of the wrestler with his name written underneath in a matching or relevant colour to his gimmick or ring attire, they released a couple of packs like it because I remember in one set Slaughter was a heel with the title belt and in the next pack he was with the USA flag. I reckon there was about 50-70 cards in a pack and they were reasonably thick, but I can never find them on Ebay, they had no stats or info on the back of them from what I can remember.

Good gawd, this thread has made me so happy and sad - happy with nostalgia reliving all this stuff, but sad knowing that it'll probably never be so good again.

I ended up daydreaming at work, and now wish somebody would do a reboot of the old WWF Wrestlefest arcade game. WWE Allstars tried but just didn't cut it - I want fat stiffly-animated brightly-coloured sprites, nothing but signature moves, and the ability to have about a dozen guys onscreen at once. And no f***ing mo-cap!

*cries*

Here's some pictures of vintage merch I've hunted down through various websites.

Cheers for that awesome post!

Anyone able to post those scans of the merchandise pages from early-90s WWF magazines I've seen on here a few times? :)

These?

I can't view that, as it's asking for a password. But I mean the old-school catalogues that had the likes of the purple Macho Man shades T-shirt and Stephanie in a Rockers (I think) T-shirt, etc.

EDIT - Found a load:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29383094@N04/...57606611149013/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26725653@N05/...57606611372483/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26725653@N05/...57606613637141/

• Paid Members

I had the duvet, also had the curtain's that went with them.

One of the late 92/early 93 WWF Mags (I'm sure it was Flair on the cover) came with a silver WWF block logo badge. I wore that fucker proudly on my uniform, like I was a primary school Sean Mooney

I'll never forget being at my nana's and watching my aunties bulldog go mental and rip my hulk hogan wrestling buddy to pieces. I was absolutely gutted, the immortal Hulk Hogan killed without any warning. I never forgave that dog. I'm pretty sure that this was a common event with people, dogs for some reason did not like Wrestling buddies.

Luckily my Ultimate Warrior one survived, I think I've still got it at home. I always thought it was just Warrior and Hogan that you could get but I'm sure I've seen a Macho Man one. Does anyone know if there were more?

That post by Ian is mint, it's the sheer colour of it all that draws you in. They knew what they doing with us didn't they? How could a kid resist any of that?

Archived