Vintage Collection - anyone watch it?

RoryFice

Quite a cool one was WrestleMania revenge, which was house show rematches of Mania bouts, or variants of. And by cool, I mean Doink vs Crush in France and Rockers/Virgil vs Orient Express/Fuji from MSG.

They've done a couple that have just been "four matches from the same MSG show."

Bad News Brown vs Bret Hart from msg was a good one as well

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fuck me. Today was actually the first time I'd ever seen The Goon wrestle, as I think I stopped watching wrestling for a bit when he was about. Aside from being a poor gimmick with an awful name- he is also one of the worst wrestlers I've seen in the ring too. Absolutely shit. He just kept 'bumping' into his opponent and throwing wild (but not in a good way, more gormless) strikes at his opponent.

And who thought it would be a good idea for him to wrestle in ice-skating style boots?? Good fucking lord.

• Moderators

His 1980's stuff is pretty good if you fancy it. Wild Bill Irwin. He was in the Super Destroyers with his brother Scott who's dead now around that period as well and they were decent.

He was well gone by 1996 though.

• Paid Members
Fuck me. Today was actually the first time I'd ever seen The Goon wrestle, as I think I stopped watching wrestling for a bit when he was about. Aside from being a poor gimmick with an awful name- he is also one of the worst wrestlers I've seen in the ring too. Absolutely shit. He just kept 'bumping' into his opponent and throwing wild (but not in a good way, more gormless) strikes at his opponent.

And who thought it would be a good idea for him to wrestle in ice-skating style boots?? Good fucking lord.

His scrappy ring style was deliberate- he was supposed to be brawling as ice hockey players do- barging his opponent and throwing wild, flailing punches. The commentators were putting it over, saying that it was clear why he got banned from every amateur ice hockey league he ever played in. It was a top example of a 1990's cartoon wrestlecrap gimmick.

• Paid Members
he is filmin the roundtable thingy's

No more Gene on Vintage Collection?

How do we watch these Roundtable things?

Thankyou

There are a few knocking around on YouTube and DailyMotion. Just search 'WWE roundtable' - they are uploaded and taken down all the time.

Fuck me. Today was actually the first time I'd ever seen The Goon wrestle, as I think I stopped watching wrestling for a bit when he was about.

Didn't see Vintage but that bit doesn't surprise me because he was only around for such a short time and was hardly ever on Raw - the show most people watched if they'd only watch one WWE show and never was involved in any feuds or on a PPV. So even if you had been watching at the time I'd imagine there's a lot who missed him. A bit similar to Who in that it became something of a legendary 'WrestleCrap' gimmick in the years after but didn't exactly take up a lot of space on the show at the time to make a difference one way or the other.

I only remember seeing him used as a jobber for Mark Mero and Flash Funk. Then he was gone.

Just another one of those gimmicks that might have worked back in the early 90s but was doomed to failure at the time. Great theme music though.

His 1980's stuff is pretty good if you fancy it. Wild Bill Irwin. He was in the Super Destroyers with his brother Scott who's dead now around that period as well and they were decent.

He was well gone by 1996 though.

Both Irwins were good, yeah. I've read before that Bill was never the same as a worker after Scott died. His best chance of becoming a star on the National stage probably was in the Long Riders. That said I seem to remember he was fine as an elevated jobber in WCW around 1993 so you'd think he'd have been able to do the same up North just three years later in a similar same role but obviously it didn't work out.

Funny to think that Salvatore Sincere probably had the best run out of those JTTS guys they brought in at that time.

Anyone catch the Piper special this week? I rather enjoyed it, the angle where Piper smashed up the flower shop was brilliant, I can't believe I've never seen it before!

Anyway, Mean Gene confirmed that Piper's returning next week as co-host again, I rather enjoyed the banter between the pair of them this week. Another Piper special next week or is he going to become a regular fixture on the show?

• Paid Members

Yeah, Piper was great in the role, hopefully they'll keep him alongside Gene in future.

I haven't seen that Piper/Mountie Royal Rumble match in 10 years. Piper was so over, The crowd reaction to his first title win is glorious.

Archived