UEFA U21 Championship Thread

Psygnosis

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming posting the video of this half decent midfielder playing against the greatest team of all time would be wasted?

Lee Sharpe played a blinder against Barcelona once

Because a fit Lee Sharpe was a brilliant player. Strange thing to say.

He was in no way the saviour of English football though was he, he was a high decent left winger. The same way Wilshire is nothing more than a half decent midfielder

Ignoring all "saviour of English football" bullshit and hype, saying that Wilshere is only a "half-decent" midfielder is clearly bollocks. Especially when it's in the same breath as praising Albrighton, Rodwell, Henderson, Sturridge, Wickham and Delfouneso. Nothing against any of those players, but Wilshere's on a completely different level to all of them at this stage.

Roberto Martinez is fucking great as a pundit. Amazing to have a guy actually understanding and talking about the tactics on TV.

So not only does Mancienne start, but he is given the captaincy? He isn't even a good player never mind a captain, about 5 other players in the side that should have it more.

He hasnt been given the captaincy he IS the Under 21 captain, thats not going to be changed until he no longer plays for the U21s.

So not only does Mancienne start, but he is given the captaincy? He isn't even a good player never mind a captain, about 5 other players in the side that should have it more.

He hasnt been given the captaincy he IS the Under 21 captain, thats not going to be changed until he no longer plays for the U21s.

Pearce didn't make a decision on who would be captain until yesterday, obviously he wasn't nailed on to be captain as Pearce would have said so sooner.

Either way that 'performance' of his there just proved my point, utterly useless player he is - how he starts ahead of Rodwell is beyond me.

Spain 1-1 England, Welbeck got the England goal, think it was Juan Mata with the Spanish (could be wrong) - Very entertaining game though.

Don't know who it was, but it wasn't Mata. I do know that England's defence was static for it though. All just standing there while Spain got two headers in from a corner. The second one finding the net.

I suppose static is better than kamikaze, which would be a generous assessment of the Spanish defence at times.

Pearce didn't make a decision on who would be captain until yesterday, obviously he wasn't nailed on to be captain as Pearce would have said so sooner.

Either way that 'performance' of his there just proved my point, utterly useless player he is - how he starts ahead of Rodwell is beyond me.

Metal On Metal is kind of right. Even though he was captain there were doubts this week as to whether he would be in the starting line up as you would have to shuffle the team around a bit to fit him in, probably took Pearce up until yesterday to make his mind up so stuck with him as captain and made room for him in the team.

Spain 1-1 England, Welbeck got the England goal, think it was Juan Mata with the Spanish (could be wrong) - Very entertaining game though.

Don't know who it was, but it wasn't Mata. I do know that England's defence was static for it though. All just standing there while Spain got two headers in from a corner. The second one finding the net.

Was Herrerra. Mancienne was marking Martinez but got blocked off. Didn't notice the half-time slaughter of man-to-man marking.

Spain only started playing well after about 70 minutes when Adrian came off for Parejo. Thought Jeffren was a real weak link. Javi Martinez is class. England playing 4-4-2 was typically nuts. Pearce is a fucking retard. That bit at the start of the second half where they were trying to pass it out of defence, but failing miserably was hilarious. You do need to have more than 2 players and the goalie in your own half if you want to play possession football from the back you absolute tits. Smalling looked quality, Rose looked terrible. Mancienne wasn't bad, but why not play Muamba and Rodwell in there, and Henderson further forward or on the right?

Fortunate in the end- Wellbeck offside and Spain generally dominant. Just the difference in the way that when both teams tried to play from the back, the Spainish moved it effortlessly (or pushed it back until they got an opening) but England seemed quite nervous.

Guess result does show the inherent risks of the keep-ball at 1-0 (as opposed to 2-0, 3-0 when it's all but over..). Unless I'm misreading it, they did seem to concentrate on frustrating England at times near the end (aided by the 'ole' chants in the crowd, I guess) rather than going for the kill. I guess I'm being a bit harsh as England, Kyle Walker's occasional rush-of-blood aside, defend very well at times, and Spain U-21 aren't, ya know, [i}Spain[/i], yet and, but can't help thinking there was a bit of complacency/arrogance?

Kyle Walker is brilliant going forward, just so confident and pacey its so difficult to deal with him. Smalling looked very good too.

Martinez is a great pundit. I rarely listen to half-time punditry (I don't think I need to explain that decision) but he did seem very intelligent and cliche-free.

~edit~ yeah 'quite nervous' probably understates it, hilarious more accurate.

• Paid Members
Was Herrerra. Mancienne was marking Martinez but got blocked off. Didn't notice the half-time slaughter of man-to-man marking.

LOLz. Peter Taylor mentioned the marking. Suggested that if they'd picked players up once they got towards the penalty spot instead of following them into the box, they'd cut out the risk of being blocked off. PT is the king of 11 back at corners, he knows his shit.

Spain were alright. Technically excellent of course but rarely looked able to transfer it into threatening. We were generally outclassed but showed in little batches the sort of pace, strength and single mindedness that means we're always a threat. Disappointed with Cleverley, who was poor, Mancienne who was chasing shadows, Bertrand, who isn't ever going to be an international full back and Wellbeck, who's first touch is pretty wretched.

Didn't think there was a lot wrong with Pearce's tactics, it was clearly not a 4-4-2. Disagreed with the selection and thought the substitutions were strange too. Sinclair should have been the first sub. Lansbury gave us nothing.

Enjoyable game though. We'll not be at their level for a generation. Our movement isn't good enough and we aren't brave enough to pass the ball into players who are marked up because we know it'll come back. The best sides will give the ball to a man, even if he looks marked because he'll move it on quickly and keep them going. If we can defend properly though, we'll do OK. We look strong and fit which could carry us a long way.

Martinez was their best player, he was outstanding. I thought their goal was handball on first viewing but then when nothing was made of it by Tyler and Smith (ad Cleverley), I decided I must have been wrong.

Didn't notice the half-time slaughter of man-to-man marking.

See when I see a bunch of defenders standing still, I don't necessarily need pundits to tell me that the defending was static, because I can use my eyes to find that one out for myself.

?? Mancienne was blocked off.

Anyway I was just being facetious. If they'd scored that goal against zonal marking (which actually would have been impossible), they'd be having a half-time chat about the inherent failings of the system.

Archived