Austin Vs Punk could it happen ?

or619

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a better thread would be HOW it would happen. Not if it will or will not happen, because I'm sure the majority wish it would.

For me, its the only logical (Storyline terms) dream match there is at this point in time. However I'd FAR prefer it to have happened during the Attitude era for obvious reasons. As good as Punk is, I think a cult like leader would have gone down a storm back then. Discounting of course the Ministry

Doubt it'll happen but love to see it, the feud writes itself straight edge vs Beer drinking redneck, easy enough to start just like how Rock v Cena started with an of the cuff remark.

Punk has the type of ringstyle and psychology that the match could be less about moves and more about working the crowd and emotion, austins big matches usually brawl alot that way he doesnt have to bump.

As for The Miz he would be a good 2nd choice but I imagine he'll get Rock's 2nd match i there is one. I dont think he could protect his neck like Punk would

I would say punk would be the easiest opponent for Austin as most of his moves are strikes rather than bumps. And we all know Austin wouldn't be taking the gts anyway if they did fight

As others have alluded to in this thread, I'm almost certain if Austin was to come back for a one-off match, it would be against Cena or Orton. Although his return may not feel as big as The Rock's, because he's always been back intermittently over the last several years and we've seen dozens of stunners since since his retirement, it would still be very much a dream match, and Vince would be silly to piss it away on a midcarder. Realistically, Orton and Cena are the only ones (barring the mainstays like HHH and Taker who we've seen in more matches with Austin than I care to remember) who are really on a credible level to to challenge him.

Of the other two, I personally feel CM Punk has the charisma and potential to be as over as Orton or Batista, if not Cena, but it seems clear Vince doesn't have similar faith in him, as he's been something of a JTTS over the past 18 months or so. I've no doubt he could carry his end of a feud with Austin in the promo department, however. As far as Miz goes, I think he's peaked to be honest. I enjoy his act, but he'll never be a legitimate main eventer or a credible threat to someone like Austin, Rock, Cena or Taker in a million years. He's perfect in that Chris Jericho role as an upper-midcarder who can occasionally step up for the odd transitional title run or feud with the real stars, but he's not dream match material.

As others have alluded to in this thread, I'm almost certain if Austin was to come back for a one-off match, it would be against Cena or Orton. Although his return may not feel as big as The Rock's, because he's always been back intermittently over the last several years and we've seen dozens of stunners since since his retirement, it would still be very much a dream match, and Vince would be silly to piss it away on a midcarder. Realistically, Orton and Cena are the only ones (barring the mainstays like HHH and Taker who we've seen in more matches with Austin than I care to remember) who are really on a credible level to to challenge him.

How did Hogan vs Orton do in 2006? Hogan vs Cena would've been the bigger match, but they didn't go with it at the time for whatever reason. Presumably a large part of it was because they didn't want either to lose, which would still be the case with Austin vs Cena.

Austin can come back and beat a gobby twat like Punk, no problem, but having one return match and beating the biggest babyface star in wrestling on a one-off is a bit of a cunt move that serves no purpose other than the "I've hated it for the last ten years but I still watch it to moan about how it used to be good" cunts a cynical rush of vindication, and it'd be a lot less powerful if Rock's done the same thing the year before. The other side of the coin is if Austin comes back and loses, it's a bit of a downer as well. They could do the "he's still got it, but he just wasn't good enough" thing, like a starrier, all-babyface version of the Jericho vs Steamboat feud.

Plus Austin and Cena have no onscreen beef, no history of bitchy comments. Any feud they'd have would be like a less emotional version of Rock vs Cena. It'd just be "the attitude era was great, you're all crap now, your act's for kiddies lol" and "I'm proud of having fans who are kiddies, choke on deez nuts lol." And depending on what Austin's up for doing physically, Punk (who doesn't rely on throws or power moves and as a heel can get by on cheap shots) might be the more attractive opponent for Stone Cold.

Doesn't seem much point in Austin making an in ring return. Perhaps a bit of street fight business to hype up a future season of tough enough, but a full match? I just don't see it happening.

Has Punk re-signed yet? I understand he hadn't because he won't sign over his name to Vince. In the short term, it seems unlikely such a major feud would be given to someone who could easily end up elsewhere once its over

Well it was just speculation on my part but judging by what Austin has said on his Twitter I think if he did come back Punk would be his opponent of choice. With it being an Austin hosted All Star edition of Raw and Tough Enough over it seems that the timing is right. I think being on Tough Enough has renewed the flame of Austin and I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back for one more run. Maybe I am being over optimistic but lets see if WWE give us any pointers tomorrow !

• Paid Members

So CM PUNK RT'D THIS.

Brandubh5 Brandubh

by CMPunk

So @steveaustinBSR and @CMPunk are going to be at #Raw tomorrow night. I've got one word for you @WWE :"Opportunity." Don't pass it up!

22 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Why does something tell me that even though @WWE will have @steveaustinBSR and @CMPunk under the same roof tomorrow, they'll fuck it up.

Of the other two, I personally feel CM Punk has the charisma and potential to be as over as Orton or Batista, if not Cena, but it seems clear Vince doesn't have similar faith in him, as he's been something of a JTTS over the past 18 months or so. I've no doubt he could carry his end of a feud with Austin in the promo department, however. As far as Miz goes, I think he's peaked to be honest. I enjoy his act, but he'll never be a legitimate main eventer or a credible threat to someone like Austin, Rock, Cena or Taker in a million years. He's perfect in that Chris Jericho role as an upper-midcarder who can occasionally step up for the odd transitional title run or feud with the real stars, but he's not dream match material.

To be fair the WWE could get Punk over for a match with Austin in a month. The match sells as it is, all Punk needs to do is cut a couple of promos on Austin and it'd be done. Although I do wonder how much of a draw Austin would be now compred to how much money he'd ask for.

So CM PUNK RT'D THIS.

Brandubh5 Brandubh

by CMPunk

So @steveaustinBSR and @CMPunk are going to be at #Raw tomorrow night. I've got one word for you @WWE :"Opportunity." Don't pass it up!

22 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Why does something tell me that even though @WWE will have @steveaustinBSR and @CMPunk under the same roof tomorrow, they'll fuck it up.

Despite the fact that WWE will more than likely fuck it up, I'll be watching Raw tonight for the first time in ages.

Be amazin if Wrestlemania lined up as Punk vs. Austin and Cena vs. Rock, but where could you possibly go afterwards?

Fantasy booking but you could have Punk beat Austin, but Rock beat Cena, Cena doesnt need the win so it wouldnt hurt him as much, next night on RAW you have The Rock come out and vacate the WWE Title because he isnt sticking around obviously, CM Punk comes out and demands he be the champ as he beat Stone Cold, Rock endorses Cena, this gets Punk even more mad, Punk ends up beating down The Rock, Cena makes the save, Rock goes away, and you have a big Punk/Cena title programme that already seems big because Punk has just beat Steve Austin and Cena has been endorsed by The Rock.

You can then have Punk go on at Cena how he should be the man, the face of WWE etc, as he beat Stone Cold in his last ever match, sent the bald bastard away etc, wheras Cena couldnt beat The Rock. This also could lead to a Punk/Austin rematch, if the keep having Punk bleat on about it.

Problem is I'm not sure they could convince Austin to come back and lose, and I highly doubt they'd want their golden boy to lose to The Rock at WrestleMania.

Good ideas though. Is Austin not really high on Punk?

I'd love Rocky to go over, leading to a rematch with Cena down the line. Ideally Rocky wins the title, and even has a couple matches here and there. Punk's the heel, so could screw Austin over quite easily, leading to a future match. I'd mark like a maniac if they had Austin and Cena vs. Rock and Punk or any combination of the 4 lol

Archived