Next number 1 babyface

Checkmate

I'd love to think Kofi Kingston had a chance at it.

The main reason for this comes from when I watched WrestleMania with a group of mates, several of whom weren't into wrestling at all. It took every one of them about half a second to become massive Kofi fans when he made his entrance, and they popped for everything he did (which admittedly wasn't much, but still). The main reason for this is because he's unique, and he just stands out as someone you'd recognise. He doesn't have the generic moany-rock entrance music, he's got colourful gear, he's got flashy moves - he already has what he needs for casuals and occasional watchers to remember him if they see him anywhere.

His ring work's always decent or better, and his stint on NXT showed he could do stuff on the mic, so he's got those qualities too.

If he got some development to his character - because at the moment he barely even has a character, never mind a developed one - and some kind of sustained interest was taken into elevating him, I'm sure he could be a top babyface - even if it only gets as far as the Mysterio/Savage/Hardy role of 'looks cool and unique, good in the ring'.

Won't happen, though. The Kofi ship has probably sailed. But the fact remains he was the group favourite out of anyone at WrestleMania who debuted after 2001.

I can back that up too, my mate who doesn't watch WWE anymore has the latest Smackdown vs. Raw game and he plays as Kofi on season mode! Can't argue with those facts.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kofi only has himself to blame. There was that moment at Madison Square Garden but a combination of his sloppiness and discernable lack of character led to it going nowhere. You could argue that WWE could/should have pushed him harder, but I really don't think he can be taken seriously as a top guy with his clumsiness and cartoon-style WWF 80's look.

• Paid Members

I reckon Sheamus could be a fantastic badass babyface if given the chance, and become super-over as a result. Alberto Del Rio's bland as fuck as a heel, but if he turned the combination of his charisma and Ric-Rod could make him a pretty big star.

• Paid Members

Sheamus or Alberto Del Rio for me. Both are charasmatic and credible looking.

Really, it's down to how WWE treat the next babyface they want to push. The last to get super over (Jeff Hardy) became a main eventer (and legit no. 1 babyface) in spite of WWEs booking of him, WWE really tried their best to fuck the push up but the fans were having non of it. Sadly they have nobody on their roster with that kind of fanfair/charisma.

They also need to make sure the next guy is somewhat competent in the ring. Sin Cara's wrestling can be laughable at times.

• Paid Members
I think it's Evan Bourne, Danielson, or Davey Richards.

If you mean number one babyface back in ROH, you might be right.

If John Morrison can sort out his promos I think he's in with a good chance.

He's in with a shout. In terms of his style, he's different enough to stand out in the same way Jeff Hardy was when he was climbing the ranks. If Johnny boy can get to the same level of connection with the crowd that Jeff had, he could end up positioned as a top face. A good-selling t-shirt would help too.

I personally think Miz is a decent call too. If he still keeps doing his "I'm..... AWESOME!" spiel, it could end up programming the crowd to join in, then you're halfway to a turn. Keep him an obnoxious arrogant prick, but turn that in the direction of heels rather than blue eyes, and you have a winner.

• Paid Members

Alex Riley? Really? Because he's got a good reaction smashing Miz around, the top heel in the company, someone fans love to see get smashed around? It has happened in the past in similar scenarios with others admittedly, but i wouldn't be so sure.

I certainly think Sheamus could get over pretty well playing baby fella. I also wouldn't mind a big angle for Santino, if they didn't treat him as such a joke in the ring (which they don't so much now to be fair) i reckon he could do very well for himself being pushed further up the card. I think a dynamic between him and Del Rio could work real nice. And let's be honest who didn't want him to win the Rumble when he crawled back into the ring? What a moment that was.

Regarding Kofi, i've no idea why because he is babyface all over, in every aspect of what he does, but i'm seriously interested in seeing him play heel.

• Paid Members
Regarding Kofi, i've no idea why because he is babyface all over, in every aspect of what he does, but i'm seriously interested in seeing him play heel.

I want Kofi to rediscover his roots in Ghana, hook up with some crazy tribe and return as the 21st Century Papa Shango. Some of the generic waffle the current dull crop of heels come out with would be nothing next to "Ybo.... tonight is the night of blood!" and so on.

Plus, if he feuded with a newly-babyface Sheamus, through camera trickery or special effects Papa Kingston could use his dark magic powers to transform Sheamus temporarily into an actual jar of mayonnaise. Until the GM orders him to change him back, or better yet one of Sheamus' buddies has to beat Kingston for the right to return him to his normal, non-emulsified self.

I've got an inkling Dolph Ziggler could easily translate into a Shawn Michaels like talent. He's got the athletic ability, he's great in the ring and can make most look good. He's got good charisma, good looks and decent mic skills.

Its probably a massive stretch but I do think if we're talking 5-6 years down the line when Cena is coming to the end of his top run (Assuming its only that long)...perhaps.

Obviously WWE have chosen JoMo

I personally think Miz is a decent call too. If he still keeps doing his "I'm..... AWESOME!" spiel, it could end up programming the crowd to join in, then you're halfway to a turn. Keep him an obnoxious arrogant prick, but turn that in the direction of heels rather than blue eyes, and you have a winner.

I agree with this completely, they did it with Rock and it sent him to the fucking moon

• Paid Members
Kofi only has himself to blame. There was that moment at Madison Square Garden but a combination of his sloppiness and discernable lack of character led to it going nowhere. You could argue that WWE could/should have pushed him harder, but I really don't think he can be taken seriously as a top guy with his clumsiness and cartoon-style WWF 80's look.

Well, is that such a bad thing? At least he has a character, and as mentioned earlier, his music doesn't consist of generic rock music and wearing black underpants.

be Tyler Black hes got everything needed imo

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG AND YOU DESERVE TO BE SHOUTED DOWN FOR IT. Say Great Khali next time, that'll make you cool.

As far as the current roster goes, I think Miz is actually a pretty good shout. For years I've been thinking it would be Morrison but he never capitalises on any of the opportunities he gets and in any event is seemingly too much of a dick backstage to take seriously. He might get a shot at a Jeff Hardy-type role in future but probably nothing more than that. Miz, though, already has the potential and the charisma, but it really does depend on what type of babyface WWE wants to push. As was mentioned earlier, they did it with The Rock and he blew up huge without ever changing his mean-spirited character.

be Tyler Black hes got everything needed imo

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG AND YOU DESERVE TO BE SHOUTED DOWN FOR IT. Say Great Khali next time, that'll make you cool.

As far as the current roster goes, I think Miz is actually a pretty good shout. For years I've been thinking it would be Morrison but he never capitalises on any of the opportunities he gets and in any event is seemingly too much of a dick backstage to take seriously. He might get a shot at a Jeff Hardy-type role in future but probably nothing more than that. Miz, though, already has the potential and the charisma, but it really does depend on what type of babyface WWE wants to push. As was mentioned earlier, they did it with The Rock and he blew up huge without ever changing his mean-spirited character.

The problem with a Rock-style character now is how the WWE are pushing an anti-bullying campaign. Can't have the top face being a bully, sets a bad example to the kiddies. Wrestling was more teen/young adult orientated when The Rock came in, and now that he's back, he gets away with it because, well, he's the Rock.

I don't understand where people get this notion of Morrison magically one day developing a Jeff Hardy-esque "connection with fans" from. I assume it's because he does high-flying moves and can't string a sentence together naturally, but that's where the comparison between them ends, really.

Within two years of his proper (non-jobber) debut, Jeff Hardy was one of the most popular wrestlers in the world, and this was during the attitude era when there was more competition for people's adoration. John Morrison won his first tag title over six years ago and has yet to connect with the fanbase at large. If he was going to be a grassroots, megastar-regardless-of-ability-and-push anomaly like Hardy, it would've happened long before now.

• Paid Members
I've got an inkling Dolph Ziggler could easily translate into a Shawn Michaels like talent. He's got the athletic ability, he's great in the ring and can make most look good. He's got good charisma, good looks and decent mic skills.

I think that's a good shout. He's got a good 'comedy charisma' about him, for want of a better term. He comes across as quite cool cracking jokes (I thought he was great on commentary this week) - have him cracking jokes about heels and he could get over big.

His ring-work could easily translate to being face too, IMO - there's a decent intensity about it.

Archived