Survivor Series 2002

Bluetonic

• Paid Members
I cant believe anyone would slaughter Big Show for this period, completely resurrected his career after an abysmal couple of years which included 'Showkishi'.

I can't believe anyone would slaughter the 'Showkishi' period of Show's career, where through his various impressions he showed great comedic timing and flashes of personality, which I never really felt from him during any of his spells as "plodding giant heel."

The problem with 'resurrecting' his career in this manner was that it was out of fucking nowhere, and I really wasn't prepared to accept Show as a credible main eventer after he'd spent most of his sporadic tv appearances over the previous six months getting pinned by the Booker Ts and Jeff Hardys of the world. It came out of nowhere and didn't even lead to anything, as he spent the next four months looking at the lights for Angle, Lesnar and Undertaker, and plummeted back down the card again.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cant believe anyone would slaughter Big Show for this period, completely resurrected his career after an abysmal couple of years which included 'Showkishi'. It served a good purpose as everyone from that point wanted to see Lesnar kill Big Show (classic heel heat anyone?) and the match finish kept him over. My memories of this show stand out as RVD killing Hunter with the Frog Splash, Steiner audibly swearing, Jeff Hardys blatant balls up and the reaction Kurt Angle gets upon his music hitting.

A bit harsh to call it a blatant balls up imo, he had just done his MSG senton about 20 seconds earlier. Rico should have had the ability to improvise something (or not to climb the turnbuckle in the first place when he was aware Hardy was still lying recovering/selling) rather than giving the game away to millions.

I loved that event too, great stuff from top to bottom and one of the very few from that time that I occasionally go back to. I echo the point about HBKs shitty brown grear though. It is a bit nitpicky and superficial, but i tend to get irked by things like that.

I was prepared to buy into it. I thought he was booked well despite how he might have been booked before. They needed someone to beat him and he'd beaten Taker, Hogan, Rock etc. already so it makes sense that someone as massive as Big Show is going to be a plausible candidate for getting the first win. And because they booked him to face Lesnar, Lesnar could show off all the mental suplexes and the finish still kept him over. You wanted to see how far Lesnar could take it after seeing him do F5s on Mark Henry, Rikishi, A-Train and the like.

Archived