Survivor Series 2002

Bluetonic

• Paid Members
One of the "best over" is really overdoing it, but it is chronically overlooked. The undercard was very satisfying, the main event had a wildly popular and genuinely surprising result which certainly had me and my mates marking wildly out like schoolboys again.

The only negative for me was that putting the belt on Big Show (who by this point was nobody) after positioning Lesnar so strongly felt like about fifteen backwards steps, but any points I might have taken off for that were quickly put back on because I had fallen in love with Victoria.

Wasn't Lesnar injured or something? Sure he had broken ribs and took some time off after the PPV.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brock German suplexing Big Show was amazing and then pulling a decent f-5. The thing with that match wasn't Paul Heyman going to double cross Lesnar because he wouldn't have been able to beat Show? So after f-5ing him and going for the pin why did Heyman screw Brock? Was it to keep the Survivor series screwjob alive?

• Paid Members
The show was ruined only by HBKs awful ring attire, it seems like a small thing but after his return wearing the jeans in the street fight many were genuinely looking forward to seeing him in the old red HBK attire, it was shocking.

They were knocking up some new tights for him but didnt get them done in time, according to his book.

The thing with that match wasn't Paul Heyman going to double cross Lesnar because he wouldn't have been able to beat Show? So after f-5ing him and going for the pin why did Heyman screw Brock? Was it to keep the Survivor series screwjob alive?

IIRC Heyman advised Brock not to take the match because he was hurt and Heyman didnt think Brock could beat him, so he was pissed off that Brock didnt listen to him, so he fucked him, assuming Show would listen to him.

• Paid Members

Great main event, and an amazing Steiner debut. I've never been as keen on the rest of the show as others though, there's nothing really bad there, but nothing that great either. As with most of the stuff from around this time (especially on SD) there was no real hook to the show, no reason to care about anything outside of the main event. The build to the Big Show/Lesnar match would be slaughtered if it wasn't booked by Heyman, or had Cena in place of Lesnar, "OMG he's just too big Brock". The 3 way tag match was decent, but all 3 teams were putting on better matches with each other on free tv, and again, there was no reason to care about it.

That Heyman promo before the Show/Lesnar match still pisses me off to this day. "No matter what, I'll be leaving *menacing stare*... with the WWE champion", yeah, you're not half as clever as you think you are, and you just gave away what's going to happen to anyone watching, genius.

• Paid Members
The build to the Big Show/Lesnar match would be slaughtered if it wasn't booked by Heyman, or had Cena in place of Lesnar, "OMG he's just too big Brock".

Let's slaughter it anyway! The build was almost as rubbish as the result. I wasn't interested because I assume Lesnar would smash through Show like the oversized job fodder that he had become. Seriously, Show lost to everyone on tv in 2002. Brockle should have murdered him dead, ploughed through him like Goldberg through Rochester Roadblock. I know they had to do some shenanigans towards the desired Mania outcome of Lesnar challenging a heel Angle for the belt, but there are better ways to do it than transitioning the belt via a tubster in a silly vest.

This thread has got me in the mood to throw it on tonight. Fantastic show from top to bottom. The whole minimalist MSG entrance gives everything such a massive feel too. The wrestlers look huge and the building looks like it's accidentally sold far too much tickets and just let them all in.

It's coming back to the garden this year too. Hopefully they make it a special night. It barely qualifies for being one of the big four PPV's these days.

Heyman giving away the ending did suck. The fact that he always made sure everyone knew the Champ was Brock Lesnar, but this time said I'd be leaving with MY CLIENT/CHAMPION really ballsed up the "surprise". The womens match was awesome. Usually I dont care about the divas but this was good. Scott Steiners just hilarious whatever he does so good on him. Not being able to hold up newinski was funny but he got a wicked pop and I enjoyed his build up to see which show he'd go to. I felt sorry for Triple H getting an RVD knee in the head (or was it throat). I assumed that was RVD saying "Dont let me have the belt then, Have this too".

The show was ruined only by HBKs awful ring attire, it seems like a small thing but after his return wearing the jeans in the street fight many were genuinely looking forward to seeing him in the old red HBK attire, it was shocking.

They were knocking up some new tights for him but didnt get them done in time, according to his book.

Yeah id heard that, surely one of his old pair still fit though? He was in pretty good shape when he returned.

• Paid Members
Yeah id heard that, surely one of his old pair still fit though? He was in pretty good shape when he returned.

Sure, but likely a combination of WWE not keeping old tights knocking around or him bothering to pack any. Having no "back up tights" was a bit daft in hindsight.

I cant believe anyone would slaughter Big Show for this period, completely resurrected his career after an abysmal couple of years which included 'Showkishi'. It served a good purpose as everyone from that point wanted to see Lesnar kill Big Show (classic heel heat anyone?) and the match finish kept him over. My memories of this show stand out as RVD killing Hunter with the Frog Splash, Steiner audibly swearing, Jeff Hardys blatant balls up and the reaction Kurt Angle gets upon his music hitting.

Archived