Smackdown Discussion 3/06/11

Slapnut

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Details on Henry rib:

Mark was sent out for a dark main event and waited for around 20 minutes while several theme songs hit but no opponent came out. It turns out that it was a big rib on Henry to see how long he would stay before getting mad and storming off, which he did. Henry cut a promo about Sin cara, then the mic cut out. They were supposed to have a match together and went over spots before hand. Several theme songs played but nobody ever came out. Henry got pissed, left the ring went to back to see what was going on. Vince orchestrated the whole thing via cell phone!

So who shat in his sandwich this time?

Details on Henry rib:

Mark was sent out for a dark main event and waited for around 20 minutes while several theme songs hit but no opponent came out. It turns out that it was a big rib on Henry to see how long he would stay before getting mad and storming off, which he did. Henry cut a promo about Sin cara, then the mic cut out. They were supposed to have a match together and went over spots before hand. Several theme songs played but nobody ever came out. Henry got pissed, left the ring went to back to see what was going on. Vince orchestrated the whole thing via cell phone!

So who shat in his sandwich this time?

:laugh: Sounds awesome if it was true. If Vinnie Mac orchestrated it, its even better

• Paid Members

Sheamus was brilliant, from the "Oi!" he gave to get Christian's attention backstage to the mix-up in the ring. Hopefully his main event resurgence isn't a one-off. I was also glad to see Johnny Curtis finally appear.

Well, I think I was.

• Paid Members

I don't really have much to add but to say, I very much agree with the posts of Mr.Seven and txtonly in this thread, exept perhaps the Cody Rhodes comments as I'm finding myself going off the character since he's added the voice aspect. But the tag match could be fun.

Christian and Orton really do have a terrific chemistry though. Years ago, in 2005 I think, they clicked seamlessly in a mini feud during Ortons first big babyface run, when he was rubbish, was easily his finest work in that run and featured a nifty little match on Raw which used the finish they replicated in their rematch in that stormer at Over The Limit.

Tremendous feud, very well handled and some cracking matches to boot. This does so, so much more for Christian than those utter morons believe, who think he's been buried by losing the belt.

And Sheamus is indeed great and was a riot on this show.

Also, I absolutely adore Cody Rhodes at the minute. I know some people are probably getting tired of the repetitive nature of the "for your benefit, and at great expense to myself" promo, but I think he's probably only second to CM Punk at the moment when it comes to staying in character 100% of the time and adding entertaining little flourishes to his work. I'm looking forward to the idea of a PPV match with Daniel Bryan and the end of this week's segment - Sin Cara coming to help Daniel Bryan evade a DiBiase/Rhodes beatdown - is possibly the first time in god-knows-how-long that I've been excited at the prospect of an inevitable slung together tag match. I just hope this doesn't mean Sin Cara might be muscling in on Daniel Bryan's match.

Surely even the thickest member of the WWE creative team knows better than to put Sin Cara on live pay-per-view again anytime soon.

Smackdown was alright, for Smackdown. They're in a right mess at the top of the card, because in true Smackdown style, it's about a month since the draft and they've already done every combination of match between the main eventers. There's still mileage left in Orton-Christian, though, so that's a good thing. Not sure about the apparent heel turn. I think Christian's speech at the start gave the game away, complaining and whining to be added to the title match. If Christian's a baddie now, and he's got about a month or two (tops) left with Orton, where does he go from there? And what do Sheamus and Mark Henry do with no more top babyfaces? Turn for Sheamus on the way, I suppose.

Johnny Curtis was fun, if rubbish. Daniel Bryan's been on tremendous form since going to Smackdown as well. His feud with Cody is looking great so far for a midcard feud in WWE, especially by Smackdown's standards. It's nice to see AJ and Kaitlyn as a team, but the opposition is like the Who Isn't Who of the divas roster.

Surely even the thickest member of the WWE creative team knows better than to put Sin Cara on live pay-per-view again anytime soon.

Why?

I didnt think his match with Chavo was that bad, there were 2 or 3 fuck ups, mainly the finish, but it wasnt some convoluted mess that showed both men up. Sin Cara is in essence a spot merchant and its to be expected.

Because he's a clumsy shitehawk. They put Sabu on pay-per-view a fair few times because they didn't care if people laughed at him messing up, he was old ECW. But they've got more invested in Sin Cara, they seem to want him to be a star. And every time they throw him out there without the safety net of post-production, he flirts with turning into Shockmaster. If he gets his act together in a few months, I'd imagine they'd be more confident, but it's dangerous for his credibility to put him on live at the moment.

Because he's a clumsy shitehawk. They put Sabu on pay-per-view a fair few times because they didn't care if people laughed at him messing up, he was old ECW. But they've got more invested in Sin Cara, they seem to want him to be a star. And every time they throw him out there without the safety net of post-production, he flirts with turning into Shockmaster. If he gets his act together in a few months, I'd imagine they'd be more confident, but it's dangerous for his credibility to put him on live at the moment.

I think they are more likely not to put him on PPV because hes not actually talking yet, you cant really build a feud up just by having a guy point at somebody every time he comes out. Hes done ok so far, hes been sloppy in a few spots but what do you expect from a gymnast/acrobat?

Them to do their gymnastics/acrobatics properly. Evan Bourne does much the same thing, and I don't recall him being unable to land springboard moves properly back when he first started in WWE. Although that could be down to him not wrestling on live TV much the first few months. Or down to all American indies using the same ropes and ring dimensions as WWE, considering Sin Cara's screw-ups are supposedly down to the rings being different to what he's used to.

I enjoyed SD this week.

I would like to see Christian have a tweener type role on the show for the time being. I don't think he needs a full blown heeel turn to continue his feud with Orton and SD lack in the babyface department.

Perhaps Daniel Bryan could be promoted up the card to feud with Christian next or Sheamus could turn face.

Khali will, I'm guessing be back in the main event picture soon. :angry:

• Paid Members

I enjoyed elements of the show but as usual things are dragged out and unnessecarily long. They could have made a ton of cuts and filled it with other superstars and made use of alot of valuable time.

For example, they had Christian have a match vs Mark Henry at the start and then do a promo afterwards. With the roster so thin they should have scrapped that match and saved it for a possible fued later down the line. Christian should have just come straight out to do his promo. The match was meaningless and Mark Henry has lost momentum because of it. And then they had Cody Rhodes promo that I enjoyed, but really they could have scrapped that too and just had him come out during Daniel Bryan's match. He could have done a shorter version of that promo backstage if he wanted to in 3 minutes instead of the 10-15 it actually took up.

They have so many talented guys with a ton of potential just sitting on the sidelines, by cutting just a few segments of each show down or out completely the currently weak roster could really be bolstered up.

I'm hoping that Sin Cara/Bryan don't tag against Rhodes/DiBiase next week. That should be a PPV match. With Bryan and Priceless carrying the majority of the match and Sin Cara just hitting a few signature spots he oculd come out smelling of roses and it'd hide his weaknesses.

Shaemus was on top form too. Zeke/Barrett continues to hold my interest. I love seeing these big guys beating the shit out of eachother and as a huge fan of Gabriel/Slater I'm glad they are on SD regularly. The last thing I want these talented guys to do is end up on Superstars.

• Paid Members

Sheamus and Daniel Bryan in particular have really been on a roll performance wise since they switched shows. Also, Henry and Christian had a belter of an opening match. It's a shame Henry only seems to have stepped it up a gear recently in terms of quality, because you get the feeling if he was performing like this a bit earlier on in his career we'd have seen a lot more from him.

What I really dig about Christian's heel turn is that its following a couple of key, traditional heel conventions: The heel in question believes in everything he's saying, i.e the opening promo where he knows he should be in line for a title shot and Teddy just wont give it to him, and secondly, the fans will believe it too. Attacking Orton was the right way to go about the turn and here's hoping they get some more good mileage out of that feud.

Archived