This Weeks Panorama

The King Of Swing

It really is dreadfully upsetting.

Imagine the families of the victims who believed they were best placed to receive the care they need, to find they've unwittingly exposed them to such inhumanity? I realise two wrongs aren't supposed to make a right, but show me a decent person who could watch that programme and *not* want to find these bastards and put them through the same abuse they inflicted on those vulnerable people

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be honest, I was in social services care from 1981 to 1998 in a boarding school for people with extreme learning difficulties and behavioural difficulties very similar to this one and saw some horrendous things and had some horrendous things happen to me. I watched this and it was one of the hardest things I've ever watched, I'm glad I was able to escape when I was 17 and not let it define me, as Im now 29 and have some really good friends and a very good job, I've seen what care can do to people, the people I know who are dead or on heroin or on the dole, something needs to be badly done. The system itself is endemic of failure, this programme has been one of the worst experiences of my life watching it, but if it can save at least one person from this treatment then it has done a truly magnificent thing, and shown the bbc at its best

For anyone that watched it, at any point did you feel like the journalist should have put a stop to things or said something to the abusers? It seemed like he was prepared to let it go for 5 weeks whilst trying to get good shots when he could quite easily have, after alot of the abuse had taken place, stood up and said something or questions people about what they thought they were doing. In most cases he stood and watched all of the abuse in silent, not joining in or stopping anything, just standing there making sure he was filming it.

Watching it reminded me of how easy I my life has been in comparison to many others.

I just couldn't get over the sheer cruelty that was inflicted upon them and I would never have been able to do that journalists job without breaking cover.

• Paid Members

I ended up leaving the last nursing home I worked in because I couldn't stand what I was seeing every day. The neglect of some patients disgusted me, but for the sake of my job myself and the other decent nurses/carers spent our entire shifts trying to fix the mess we had been left with from the other so called 'carers'. An excuse I got sick of from the foreign carers was that they 'Couldn't do XXX' because they 'Didn't understand what they had to do'.

The attitude from these 'human beings' foreign and British, was that if they couldn't ring the bell or complain, then sod them.

We complained numerous times but nothing ever changed.

After 6 months I left and reported them to the RCN with the back up of the decent staff. The manager was 'let go', a few people had disciplinary hearings and the home was subject to ongoing inspections. That was over 3 years ago and after a passing conversation from someone who worked there with me who is still doing the odd nightshift, apparently nothing has changed and if anything the standard of care has got even worse. Forged flow charts etc are all that's needed to keep the inspectors happy.

It breaks my heart as a human being to know of the neglect and abuse that happens in homes of all natures, and I actually cried watching this particular report, but the more exposure the better. The entire care system needs a big shake up on the front line, the actual care staff and not the management structures. Why the fuck are they not seeing this?

• Paid Members

I've just watched it on iPlayer. My heartrate's up, I know that much. I hope that we'll see some lengthy prison sentences.

Probably even more disturbing to me than seeing those psychopaths and bystanders was knowing that only one person blew the whistle. You have to understand that there are bad people in the world, but you expect to see good ones too; with the exception of that one whistle-blower there weren't any, and that makes all this even more intensely scary. In a sample of people working with vulnerable adults only one had their interests at heart. I'm fearful that this could be the case all over the country.

For anyone that watched it, at any point did you feel like the journalist should have put a stop to things or said something to the abusers? It seemed like he was prepared to let it go for 5 weeks whilst trying to get good shots when he could quite easily have, after alot of the abuse had taken place, stood up and said something or questions people about what they thought they were doing. In most cases he stood and watched all of the abuse in silent, not joining in or stopping anything, just standing there making sure he was filming it.

I think he did the right thing, better to get it all on camera and evidence, from what Ive read Panaroma and the journalist were quite shocked at just how bad it was

I will wager a large amount of money that none of them will see the inside of a prison. I will wager a larger amount of money that even if they do go to prison, it will be an open prison with conditions considerably better than the ones the patients they were paid to look after were recieving.

Archived