Chinatown: Mafia Scum Thread

Carbomb

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Look in hindsight it wasn't the cleverest of things to do, both myself and Teedy saw red and that was it. Cant take it back now.

But I will say that something a bit more stringent should be put in around any issues that a mod may have. Personal or otherwise. Protects the mod as well as the players.

I wanted to slap you both for that. The kill was mistimed, but it could still have happened and kept us in the game. Even then, the reveal was unnecessary. We were still alive and that's what matters. Carbomb became a problem, but giving up was a mistake.

• Paid Members

Right. I've finally got my Internet back.

Here's what actually happened: I went away for a week - my mate, who also happens to be my employer, booked a sort of "working holiday" for our company, and assured me that there would be a working Internet connection (which we needed in order to work). This connection, it turned out, did not work the entire time we were on this trip, and so the only times I had any kind of connection were with my mobile phone, on which I have a limited data allowance.

Snake, Teedy - my apology to you stands, but this was not a case of over-committal, this was simply a case of circumstances being beyond my control. It really could happen to anyone. I'm not entirely happy about you outing yourselves, because even though your Day-Kill was time-sensitive to a certain extent, it wasn't to the point you had to out yourselves after one real-time day - you had at least three days left. As it is, your frustrations are still understandable, which is why the apology stands, and why I won't be excluding you from any games; you're both excellent players, and I hope my next game won't be so badly plagued.

Will do a proper write-up tomorrow - am very tired, only got back from my trip a couple of hours ago.

• Paid Members
but when a couple of days passed...

Not sure when your PM to take out Ron was, but looking at the QT times I'll accept you sent it on the 18th or 19th. (Though PM'ing me after 24 hours of no-Carbomb appearance would have been good).

But the Stone one... well 5:09 UK time you targetted Stone. 6:23 UK time there was complaining that Stone wasn't dead yet. 6:26 was "I put the action out ages ago", and 8:03 was you saying both me and Carbomb (why me I've no clue. Like I say, me backup mod, me not main mod, therefore me only step in when absolutely have to) were hampering your chances.

I highly doubt your kill not going through instantly changed whether you were likely to win or not. The only thing that made sure your team lost was you two throwing the towel in.

I'm not going to say Carbomb's disappearance from being able to mod fully wasn't a problem, it obviously was, and he knows that, that's why when he realized it would be more long term of an issue he told me to sort the game for him until it was fixed.

The subsequent complaining because he didn't open day phase yesterday morning was further unneeded. Especially when I pointed out that he was aiming to get the internet sorted, but for everyone to understand if he didn't manage to do so in time. Evidentally he didn't. That didn't require you to hop on and demand to be modkilled (Incidentally, he was taken out by seph anyway, to answer Chris B's question). Throwing the game will never be seen as anything but a negative from everyone else. There is no time in a game where throwing it deliberately is ever the correct thing to do, because it harms the game for everyone else, whether they're on your team (as Kenny was stuck in the sidelines seeing his team deliberately throw the game away for no reason) or not.

Also, for anyone interested. Here's the mod blog... well, mainly me, but Carbomb pops up a couple of times. It's more about the actual game at the start, then drifts into game theory discussion nearer the end (that might be useful to people modding, or wondering about a few things in regards to roles) - http://www.quicktopic.com/46/H/vYGvkGYiqcwCK

• Paid Members

I'm not apologising for anything, and I'm not going into the semantics of it all either.

Please note that I could've just disappeared from the game but I thought I'd do it in such a way that could add a twist to the game, either way meh. And as mentioned I thought this was a cracking game till the problems Carbomb had effected it so.

I have seen you online on this forum at least a few hours ago, so are you going to do the write up for this game, or not?

Sorry to sound like an arse, but when I was online earlier at 5 ish, so were you and you are online now and still nothing.

• Paid Members

Haven't had time to do lengthy posts, have been rather busy today.

But here's the write-up:

Game MVP: unfitfinlay

Honourable Mentions: Dan Williams, SMS, Ron Simmons

I'd like to nominate all the Yakuza for completing a whitewash, they did it consummately. My only regret is Teedy's and Snake's "outing", as I really wanted to see what would happen when you lot found out there were THREE Scum factions. But we can have only one MVP, and I have to say, I was impressed by unfitfinlay - twice his guesses as to what really happened were spot on, and he also was the first to have an inkling that there were three Scum teams before the Tong were exposed, and, much more impressively, his plan to get SMS to claim "Universal Backup" was a spot of genius.

SMS played a good game, raising suspicions but never getting too much on to the radar, and Dan Williams was able to coast without looking like he was coasting.

Ron gets an honourable mention because of how well he played that Vig claim, and used the fact, rather than the effect, of his actions to try and deceive the trackers.

Overview of the game:

From what I could see of the QTs and the game, people seemed very into this. There was a lot of discussion all across the board, and I regret that bad luck with Internet provision ruined it. I was initially quite pleased with the set-up, and hoped it would make for some entertaining "flash points".

One thing is clear, though: discussion, whatever your alignment, is paramount. It seemed the Tong and Yakuza took a while to get started (by the end of the first Day Phase, Triad had double the posts on their thread that the others had), but once they got a bit of momentum and structure to their planning, it seemed all sides were pretty capable of adapting.

Yes, the set-up seemed unfair to the Town, but what I was planning on was a war of attrition, with the three gangs just as likely to wipe each other out as kill all Town; oddly, it could be argued that this game was unusual in that it was more in Town's interests to keep a low profile - it certainly seemed like that would've been the strategy for Chris Stone, who was too insightful for his own good, or so it would appear. I did attempt to re-dress the balance with a Bulletproof (odd that bristep should be Bulletproof in both my games so far), but this meant Town had to really be smart with their lynching. One role I definitely did not want was Cop/Rolecop - I needed there to be as much of an aura of mystery as possible for this set-up to give Town a chance.

Funniest Moment:

The Megapowers killing off brownie the first chance they got. It was certainly a smart strategy to put the cat among the pigeons on the first day, but the hilarity of poor browniebeth getting knocked off so soon was great, especially with his reaction in the Dead Thread.

I'm not too sure what more to add to this. Given the rather fragmented nature of how the game turned out, if anyone wants to ask something about the game, do so and I'll answer.

Just to notify you all, though: my next game is to be Mafington Crescent - a fiendish fusion of Mornington Crescent and Mafia Scum. Still working out the structure.

HOWEVER: given recent discussions outside this thread, I have been inspired to come up with a new game, and will be running the set-up by Mike soon; once I've figured it all out, I may bump Mafington down one to make it next in my queue of games.

• Paid Members
Why did nobody die on night two?

Because, in order to balance out the fact that there were three Scum factions, Kills could only be made on alternate Nights (or Days, if you were Triad). Seeing as all three factions decided to Kill on the first Day/Night phase, they couldn't do it the next.

• Paid Members

Done.

Triad Pavilion

Tong Hall

Yakuza Gambling Den

Eriminated Thread

Chinatown Mod and Co-Mod Blog

Also, the enterprising Chris Stone made his own notes thread. If he doesn't mind it being posted, I'll either put it up or he can do so.

Archived