IPW:UK Summer Sizzler 2011 - Sun July 10th 2011, Sittingbourne

Andy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Rock solid show from IPW:UK tonight albeit with nothing standout. Full results at Twitter.com/gadget80

Here's hoping the return date is sooner rather than later...

He beat Angelus as per Gadge's twitter.

So Dean and Scurll are in the semi's.

Wonder if Zack will be pulled or we won't see the other qualifiers until the end of the year?

Mind you.... Zack might be back for the next IPW:UK show by the looks of it....

• Paid Members

The thing I liked most about this show was that it gave us plenty of good wrestling and gave a whole bunch of new faces to IPW:UK a chance to get over. Having been forced to not put Project Ego in with the LDRS immediately, I hope they hold off it for at least one more show, assuming they can find another team for PE to go over to really build them as contenders then doing the big match with more meaning...

The thing I liked most about this show was that it gave us plenty of good wrestling and gave a whole bunch of new faces to IPW:UK a chance to get over. Having been forced to not put Project Ego in with the LDRS immediately, I hope they hold off it for at least one more show, assuming they can find another team for PE to go over to really build them as contenders then doing the big match with more meaning...

Just got home but I thought it was a really good show. I thought the debuts were all really good esp Project Ego.

All the imports were great !!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a really good, entertaining show from top to bottom. It was plagued with technical problems from the start, live edit facilities not working, music coming out really low and seemingly a fuse going minutes before the start, meaning that the house lights had to be used for the first half. But once the bell rang, all of this fell out of my mind as the in-ring action was great.

Terry Frazier v T-Bone was a good opener. Everyone knows what Terry can do and T-Bone's improved tons since I saw him last, becoming a lot more vocal and showing a lot more character than ever before. This new role suits him well. It was great to see Jon Ryan back on IPW shows. Shinya Ishikawa didn't really show much, but was fine in the role he was in. Project Ego were hilarious though. They came across as total stars on the night. I remember seeing Kris Travis about 5 or 6 years ago in his debut year and I thought he had the size and look to go far and now he's got the character as well. I can see them becoming huge babyfaces somewhere down the line. The crowd immediately clicked with them and starting giving them heat. Great match, brutal Ryanoki Driver from Ryan to end it.

I'd never seen Jonathan Gresham before. He looked like someone had shrunk Junkyard Dog in the wash. Maybe that can be a new gimmick for him - Junk Yard Puppy. Anyway, he and Marty put on a great cruiserweight style match with a BRUTAL looking low dropkick in the corner from Scurll that looked like it took Gresham's jaw off. As seems to be par for the course with a lot of flippy Americans, he didn't seem to be capable of selling much, which always seems to be the difference between the Yanks and the Brits to me. Marty's a star, but we already know that, and IPW:UK can continue to build around him as one of their top stars. I've never seen him have a bad match in IPW. Just consistent and reliable.

I'd never seen or heard of Drew Gulak either. With his jacket, towel around his neck and no kneepads, he looked just like a 1980s British WoS era wrestler. He also looked a lot like BBC TV presenter Nick Knowles. I really wasn't expecting much, but this was such an enjoyable match, it reminded me of the old school matches I used to watch at live shows as a kid. Joel Redman shone here, showing quiet charisma. I loved it when he tied Gulak and then ref Chris Roberts up into a ball, and when he easily stepped out of Gulak's drop toehold takedown attempts after Gulak failed to do the same with Redman's attempts. Really good match and something totally different to the other style of matches.

Dean Allmark v Max Angelous was a totally different type of match. Not a massive fan of Dean's style, just personal preference, the guy's clearly a very adept wrestler with tons of matches under his belt. The kids loved him, but for me he had too many missed moonsaults, either two or three and that killed the impact of his high flying moves. I saw Max Angelous before at Lucha Britannia and was very impressed with him, and was impressed again today. He's a Stixx trainee, which is a great grounding. He's got the look and gobby charisma and can go far easily. I would love to see him back in IPW.

Main event was heated as you'd expect. Very well done with Spud avoiding Big Dave at all costs. Dave finally got his hands on Spud, but only very briefly, with the first testicular claw I've seen since ECW in the late 90s. This left people wanting to see more Spud v Dave, who both played their roles to perfection. Lion Kid needs new pants, his old ones look like they've been washed too many times and have gone bobbly, but he certainly didn't look out of place in the main event. The only downer of the whole thing was the fact that Sha Samuels was pinned by a cruiserweight in his first outing as champion, which made him, and the championship itself, look really really weak. I thought that Sha might get pinned by Dave to set up a singles match next time, but not this. Unless they're trying to portray Sha as a lucky, undeserving champion, and Sha deserves more than that to me, then this made no sense.

Anyway, one downer does not ruin a show, far from it. Shame that the crowd was small, every Sittingbourne show I've attended has been packed so I don't know why this was so different. It was also worrying that a new date at Sittingbourne was not announced. Hope they're back soon as IPW:UK is consistently good and can be relied upon to put on a good, entertaining show.

The show lacked definitely one Zack Sabre and one Mark Haskins! I know that this (NOAH) must be about it for Zack, and I'm very happy for him and the fulfilling of his dreams, but seen the show yesterday, he left some huge boots to fill. With the absence of another quite extrodinary LDRS' match, two imports that did not leave the slightest impact (that could have been anyody in these matches), a super solid japanise guy (as all the japanese are) who'll probably never show up in IPW:UK again, and with two new additions fighting each other, it ended up beeing - in my opinion - a rather random show.

Terry Frazier vs. T-Bone: Terry is a really capable wrestler, although I'm missing the chemistry the Kartel had with each other and with (or against!) the fans. T-Bone really improved his looks and his "character", but wrestlingwise I thought a few times that that had been quite the close call. Throwing your oponent that low in one direction while the knee is bent in the other, can't be a healthy thing to do, even as nothing uccurred during THIS match!

I really liked the beginning of the tag match though. Nice to see Project Ego life for the first time. An I always liked the "fun" heels. And Jon Ryan is always fun to watch sacring the shit out of others. He does that so realisticalliy... ;-)

At the end I think the match lost a bit in the hecticness of the Egos trying to marvel out another LDRS's finish...

But they're definitely a team I'd like to see again.

Marty Scurll vs. Jonathan Gresham: When I was little, I used to have a little plastic monkey you could wind up so it did flips! Never seen such a short black guy in my life doing random nothingness. And I'm sorry, that spot could have been filled by anyone. Marty has become really really good lately though. When I had first seen him, I thought him beeing a really good tag match wrestler, and an maybe solid, ok kind of single's wrestler, who sadly forgot the actual wrestling from time to time in his matches. But boy oh boy, has he gone through the roof in the last year. I think "Zack's little sidekick" as Gresham put it, has gone a long time ago. Way to go hun, the sky is the limit.

Drew Gulak vs. Joel Redman: well... just another anybody with a decent trainign could have filled that spot. I was missing something extraodinary of the guests. Something you'd crave them to come back!

Joel on the contrary was a excellent as I have gotten to know him. Yes, he came in riding a Johnny Saint hose, but he did it with ease and with pleasure. Extraorinary young man who represents his art in the ring. Don't get me wrong, Gulak was a good opponent, but that's about it (wich is my point of the evening).

Dean Allmark vs. Max Angelous: or as I would have put it WHO? 1 vs. WHO? 2 was back to beeing a "hm well, ok" kind of match. Why not put one known guy into a match with a new face? Allright, a few people seemed to have known Dean (probably seen at other promptions?), but I didn't, and I won't recognize him if I'll ever see him again. Why not put hometown boy Jimmy Havoc in this match? Just force him to to a normal match every once in a wile. ;) I've seen one or two of those, and he's actually good at it. (Maybe hit him a few times over the head with a frying pan backstage, so he gets his money's worth ;-))

Max Angelous was ok I thought, and after reading he's a Stixx trainee, I'm impressed. He must be really talented then.

Main Event was fun with Spud beeing super sneaky and weaseling out of everything, but the end left me flabbergasted. The newly crowned champion (so prowd of you Sha :-) [and still wondering if that beard is dyed or the head is]) losing to Simba? Are you serious??? And what's with the spitting? Is that really neccessary?

Archived