2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

The sectarian side of things is always going to exist in some form in Scotland, it's really that simple. I'm more angered by the racism that's started showing its head. We've never really been one for racism in Scotland, but it's slowly creeping in over the past while.

I'm not so sure I'd go with that. I don't know if it's possible to differentiate between there being an actual climate of hating other races in Scotland, but in my experience, the older generation are certainly....set in their ways is probably the nicest way to describe it. Maybe we can attribute that to blind ignorance, but I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't say Scotland is an overtly racist country like somewhere in Eastern Europe, but I certainly wouldn't say "oh no, none of that goes on here."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THE SFA are set to announce they are moving the Scottish Cup Final to a Sunday next season.

One of the great traditions in the Scottish game has been forced to make way for the Champions League.

UEFA have decided that, from next season, no national cup competitions can be played on the same day as their showpiece.

That means the Scottish Cup Final will be played on May 26, 24 hours after the Champions League Final, which is being played at Wembley for the seventh time.

The SFA considered switching to the Saturday before or after the Champions League Final, but logistically it proved impossible.

A Scottish Cup Final played on May 18 would have put the squeeze on the SPL season and a match on June 1 would have left Scotland boss Craig Levein only six days to prepare for the crunch World Cup qualifer in Croatia.

The SFA will have a final round of discussions with the SPL within the next 48 hours before confirming the switch, but Hampden chiefs are looking on the bright side.

A move to May 26 is believed to please sponsors William Hill, broadcasters and also football bosses as there are no other major games in the UK that day.

It is hoped the move will increase still further the profile of the tournament, which will be played

this season on Saturday, May 19.

That is the same day as the Champions League Final in Munich, but it kicks off in the evening. The Scottish Cup will kick-off at 3pm and there are no plans to change that time in future.

Scandalous decision.

The Scottish Cup final should always be on a Saturday. The Champions League final should always be midweek. I'm all for progression but some things should be sacred.

The whole Scottish Cup reformat looks like an absolute joke. Moving rounds earlier, no real need. So a non-league team, such as Whitehill Welfare who I go to see every week, could be out of the cup before their league season has even started. 3rd division clubs out of the cup before the end of September. Rubbish.

And the cup final on a Sunday. That's fucking sacrilege!

Agreed. It should be a Saturday, I've no problem with the CL final being a Saturday too. I'm sure we can extend the season by a week, not as if any Scottish club will be playing in the Champions League or the country at a major finals.

Moving it a week later would mean playing it just 6 days before Scotland play Croatia in a WC qualifier though.

For once I think the SFA are blameless here, it's Platini and his 'sexing up' of european football that's the cause of it.

I don't see the problem to be honest. People in Scotland are just scared of change.

Scared? I don't think so. Some people just want to maintain a tradition that looks as though it's being done away with to accomodate the moneymen. As usual.

Archived