2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

I actually know a lot of guys who stopped going when standing was abolished. Not saying it's many, but it may increase attendance a bit. Plus, it will give clubs a chance for promotion if they get rid of this ridiculous 6000 all seater rule. I know they're getting a bit of stick on here for bing average, but if Ross County do win the First Division, why should they have to have 6,000 seats, when there's not even 6,000 people in Dingwall!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
St Mirren's goalscorer, Jim Goodwin, punched Jennings in the stomach right in front of him and didn't even get spoken to. He got booked in the first 15 minutes of the match and went in for wild tackles all game without any kind of action being taken.

He was just laying down a marker....

Nah, his original tackle was him "laying down a marker", and that's fair enough. I enjoy the rougher aspect of the game as much as anyone, but punching someone?

I've not watched Livi this season. Would they go in the hammer thrower category?

They'd go in to the "Don't know what the fuck they are doing" category, as you'd expect with any team which has Fotheringham in it.

By all accounts, Fozzy has been a decent signing. I was always under the impression he was a good player, simply did not like a scrap. Is that not the case?

I think there is a very real chance of Jelavic leaving in January with Boyd coming in. Decent 'Scottish' bit of business. A man who can score goals in the SPL to potentially help Rangers retain the league. Meanwhile, the Gers get

Hey guys I thought you might be interested in this article from the BBC about the seating plan:

Ah, the spirit of Christmas; enjoyable most of all, particularly if it is from the Isle of Islay, served in a chunky crystal glass with ice and water.

But I cannot see me raising a toast this festive time to the Scottish Premier League's decision to give a blessing to the return to standing areas at our grounds.

What next? The go-ahead to the rebirth of the terracing tradition of half a dozen cans and the quarter bottle carry-out?

That inevitably led to drinking in its most unsavoury conditions, where supporters - far from the nearest toilet and in fairness crushed together and unable to retreat in search of one in any case - used empty cans and on some occasions a fellow fan's leg as a urinal.

Once of a time it was like that. Happy days. I was there when terracings doubled as toilets.

And honest - it happened - and people say we haven't moved on...

John Boyle, the outgoing owner of Motherwell, has been screaming for years that it is time to flog booze in our grounds.

His point, that you could go to Firhill on a Friday night and have a beer while watching the rugby but not 24 hours later while watching Partick Thistle play at the same ground.

It does seem like a knife through the heart of the folly of it all.

Some fans enjoy standing at matches And sometimes, as they watch the Magyars of Maryhill, you can understand the desire of the support to turn to strong drink.

But, if you are talking double standards, you can't allow the Jags to sell alcohol and then deny Celtic and Rangers the right to do it.

And a wee swallow of drink at an Old Firm match... oh aye, that's a right good idea.

Meanwhile, back at the SPL's standing order. Personally, I never fancied standing at football matches.

I particularly don't like paying what seems like an instalment on my mortgage to attend a concert and then have some plonker standing in front of me blocking the view for which I have just sold my soul.

I paid to see a rock star - not the fat backside of some wannabe causing a total eclipse of the stage.

Seating stadia were brought in for a reason: tragedy at Hillsborough and at Heysel.

Continue reading the main story Seating stadia were brought in for a reason: tragedy at Hillsborough and at Heysel

It made grounds easier to police even if fans did stand, because at least they were in rows with numbers on their nevertheless redundant seats.

And yet there is clearly a hunger for change. Just because old codgers like me prefer to utilise our fat backsides, it doesn't mean that others haven't got the right to remain vertical.

But embrace the concept with caution.

Bigger crowds and more content supporters are always key ingredients, but this will be countered in the short-term by the expense of reconverting stadia.

St Mirren, for example, built their new stadium on Greenhill Road to SPL criteria and it isn't just a case of ripping out the seating and letting people stand.

There are safety barriers to be put in and the levelling of the new terracing has to be totally reset.

Furthermore, I didn't hear any police force popping their clogs for the idea - in fact, Strathclyde's finest hinted that it was the first they had heard of it.

But at least someone is listening to public opinion and not sitting on their plump backsides ignoring the will of the people and that at least is a shaft of light in this deep mid-winter.

Me? In the end, I'll sit out the move for those who want to stand up and be counted.

But, on this occasion, at least I admire the spirit of the idea - and it's not even from a Hebridean Island.

• Paid Members
Hey guys I thought you might be interested in this article from the BBC about the seating plan:

Ah, the spirit of Christmas; enjoyable most of all, particularly if it is from the Isle of Islay, served in a chunky crystal glass with ice and water.

But I cannot see me raising a toast this festive time to the Scottish Premier League's decision to give a blessing to the return to standing areas at our grounds.

What next? The go-ahead to the rebirth of the terracing tradition of half a dozen cans and the quarter bottle carry-out?

That inevitably led to drinking in its most unsavoury conditions, where supporters - far from the nearest toilet and in fairness crushed together and unable to retreat in search of one in any case - used empty cans and on some occasions a fellow fan's leg as a urinal.

Once of a time it was like that. Happy days. I was there when terracings doubled as toilets.

And honest - it happened - and people say we haven't moved on...

John Boyle, the outgoing owner of Motherwell, has been screaming for years that it is time to flog booze in our grounds.

His point, that you could go to Firhill on a Friday night and have a beer while watching the rugby but not 24 hours later while watching Partick Thistle play at the same ground.

It does seem like a knife through the heart of the folly of it all.

Some fans enjoy standing at matches And sometimes, as they watch the Magyars of Maryhill, you can understand the desire of the support to turn to strong drink.

But, if you are talking double standards, you can't allow the Jags to sell alcohol and then deny Celtic and Rangers the right to do it.

And a wee swallow of drink at an Old Firm match... oh aye, that's a right good idea.

Meanwhile, back at the SPL's standing order. Personally, I never fancied standing at football matches.

I particularly don't like paying what seems like an instalment on my mortgage to attend a concert and then have some plonker standing in front of me blocking the view for which I have just sold my soul.

I paid to see a rock star - not the fat backside of some wannabe causing a total eclipse of the stage.

Seating stadia were brought in for a reason: tragedy at Hillsborough and at Heysel.

Continue reading the main story Seating stadia were brought in for a reason: tragedy at Hillsborough and at Heysel

It made grounds easier to police even if fans did stand, because at least they were in rows with numbers on their nevertheless redundant seats.

And yet there is clearly a hunger for change. Just because old codgers like me prefer to utilise our fat backsides, it doesn't mean that others haven't got the right to remain vertical.

But embrace the concept with caution.

Bigger crowds and more content supporters are always key ingredients, but this will be countered in the short-term by the expense of reconverting stadia.

St Mirren, for example, built their new stadium on Greenhill Road to SPL criteria and it isn't just a case of ripping out the seating and letting people stand.

There are safety barriers to be put in and the levelling of the new terracing has to be totally reset.

Furthermore, I didn't hear any police force popping their clogs for the idea - in fact, Strathclyde's finest hinted that it was the first they had heard of it.

But at least someone is listening to public opinion and not sitting on their plump backsides ignoring the will of the people and that at least is a shaft of light in this deep mid-winter.

Me? In the end, I'll sit out the move for those who want to stand up and be counted.

But, on this occasion, at least I admire the spirit of the idea - and it's not even from a Hebridean Island.

Let me guess? Is that written by Chick Young? If it is, then it's ALL bollocks.

Also I had a chuckle at this...

Because they can't behave themselves means the rest have to "miss out" I guess.

Fuck off Chick you petty excuse for a journalist!

I actually prefer standing at the football. Feels much more comfortable. His example using a rock concert is a heap of pish! At a rock concert you aren't on terracing, so I have no idea what the fuck he's going on about. Also, he does realise that not the whole stadium will be going back to terracing? So I'm sure if he isn't working then he can more than easily go to another stand and sit!

Running away with it? There is still a game in hand and Rangers have had a win in a home Old Firm. The League is far from over.

10 points clear is pretty much the definition of 'Running Away With It'

4 in a row is an absolute given. You can quote me on that

Ok then.

Running away with it? There is still a game in hand and Rangers have had a win in a home Old Firm. The League is far from over.

10 points clear is pretty much the definition of 'Running Away With It'

4 in a row is an absolute given. You can quote me on that

Ok then.

Did you watch the game? It was one of the most entertaining games this year in the SPL (not saying much I know) St Mirren fully deserved the three points and were a joy to watch at times. Rangers are on a downward spiral right now and I fully expect that to continue when they visit Parkhead on Wednesday.

Fucking fuck. I hate Lee McCulloch anyway but Goian just behaved like an absolute idiot. We were the better team in the second half and could probably have snatched a draw even with 10 men, but not only did he kill the game off for us, he's now also broken up our effective centre half partnership for the most important game of the season. Sodding hell.

• Paid Members

Ricky Foster can shove his league winners medal up his arse and attempt to fuck off!

How on earth he's our captain I will never know!

Also, just conceded a goal that woukd have been cleared if we put someone on the back post. Similar set piece and the fans behind the goal are screaming for someone to go on the back post. We have all our players back as well. You'd think we could put someone on that post! Nope and concede a goal similar to the first!

Argh! Also ICT's stadium is a shit hole!

Ricky Foster can shove his league winners medal up his arse and attempt to fuck off!

How on earth he's our captain I will never know!

Also, just conceded a goal that woukd have been cleared if we put someone on the back post. Similar set piece and the fans behind the goal are screaming for someone to go on the back post. We have all our players back as well. You'd think we could put someone on that post! Nope and concede a goal similar to the first!

Argh! Also ICT's stadium is a shit hole!

:smug:

• Paid Members

According to Jason Brown, he sacrificed a man on the post because Caley had an extra man unmarked in the box. If you're doing your job at set pieces, the opposition shouldn't be getting anything on target anyway.

• Paid Members

According to Jason Brown, he sacrificed a man on the post because Caley had an extra man unmarked in the box. If you're doing your job at set pieces, the opposition shouldn't be getting anything on target anyway.

That's shite! They did not have all their outfield players up for the corner so how on earth could they have an extra man un fucking marked?!?!

Archived