2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

That list is absolutely preposterous. Never heard a Celtic "Ibrox disaster" song in my puff. Never heard "Glasgow Celtic IRA" either.

I'm proud of how we played in the Europa League. They were bonus games in essence and in a group nobody gave us a hope in hell of doing anything in, Atletico Madrid were the only side to beat us. Fraser Forster was exceptional tonight. Samaras, Forrest, Mulgrew and Majstorovic were also very good. All in all an admirable campaign that we will hopefully take a lot from.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That list is absolutely preposterous. Never heard a Celtic "Ibrox disaster" song in my puff. Never heard "Glasgow Celtic IRA" either.

I'm proud of how we played in the Europa League. They were bonus games in essence and in a group nobody gave us a hope in hell of doing anything in, Atletico Madrid were the only side to beat us. Fraser Forster was exceptional tonight. Samaras, Forrest, Mulgrew and Majstorovic were also very good. All in all an admirable campaign that we will hopefully take a lot from.

I am pretty certain Glasgow Celtic IRA is just a case of the paper not wanting to print 'Oh ah up the RA'.

According to OptaJoe, Celtic haven't won an away game in Europe (excluding qualifiers) in 25 games.

According to BBC journalist Liam McLeod....

Celtic's away record stretches back to 2003's win over MTK Hungaria in 2003/2004 with only win v Dinamo Moscow in 2009

It's just 1 win in 32 away in Europe for the SPL side

It's just as bad on the other side of town.

Rangers have 1 win (home or away and including qualifiers) in 25 games. Combine those and you get an idea why the coefficient is in the shitter.

Having said that Celtic have only lost one of the last five away games in Europe (excluding qualifiers). Depends how you look at it.

Here's an article from the BBC:

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has vowed to "weed out" supporters who continue to hurt the club.

Uefa may punish the club after flares were released by away fans during the Europa League clash with Udinese and a banner was unfurled criticising the governing body.

Lawwell told BBC Scotland that Celtic will face the consequences next week.

"These people are not Celtic supporters and we will weed them out. We are embarrassed," he said.

Uefa fined Celtic

Every season you lot seem to just keep debating the aliegances of the ira with celtic in here...

Because it's an ongoing problem within Scottish football.

I understand that I just find it a bit sad that it's still happening these days with the chanting etc and it appears that the fines handed down by the sfa/uefa don't seem to be making a impact in helping solve the problem so what needs to be done?

• Paid Members
Every season you lot seem to just keep debating the aliegances of the ira with celtic in here...

Because it's an ongoing problem within Scottish football.

I understand that I just find it a bit sad that it's still happening these days with the chanting etc and it appears that the fines handed down by the sfa/uefa don't seem to be making a impact in helping solve the problem so what needs to be done?

The new anti-sectarian/offensive chanting Bill that the SNP has brought in will do nothing other than result in a few lone nutters being arrested. It won't get to the root of the problem.

Start closing stands/forcing games to be played behind closed doors (and I don't just mean the Old Firm) and it'll stop a lot quicker.

Of course there is more chance of me dipping my cock into Pamela Anderson than that happening.

What do you guys think it is about Scottish football fans that attracts these kind of horrible chants?

It's entrenched in a lot of them. If you see your father singing them, and they in turn saw their fathers singing them, it becomes second nature. And it was sort of accepted 40-50 years ago.

Then there's the absolute morons who just like to "wind up" the opposition. And what better way than a bit of casual hatred.

And then the morons that aren't even football fans and just want to cause trouble.

Why though was it accepted in Scotland and nowhere else? Ireland, England and Wales all are pretty religious countries, so why did it remain only in Scotland?

I wasn't around 40-50 years ago, so have no idea. But it was seen as "part of the culture".

And oh, it does happen in England, and especially in Ireland - you know Derry City, a Northern Irish team choose to play in the Republic's league due to historical bigotry. Which I believe is a bit better now, but still.

And in England, again, not so much now, but the hooligan culture was so much worse than it ever was up here, and not sectarian, but songs about the Bradford Fire and Hillsborough are pretty horrible too.

I'm not biting again if you start trolling this thread again like last time, do a bit of research.

I'm not trolling, it's an interesting subject. As you yourself seem to believe, all the other countries have mostly moved on past this kind of intolerance, leaving Scotland, who this kind of thing is still seen on a frequent basis. I'm merely trying to have a debate about it Craig, if you don't want to that's fine.

I'm not trolling, it's an interesting subject. As you yourself seem to believe, all the other countries have mostly moved on past this kind of intolerance, leaving Scotland, who this kind of thing is still seen on a frequent basis. I'm merely trying to have a debate about it Craig, if you don't want to that's fine.

No, I'm happy to debate on it with you, I just don't want it going in the same direction as the last time you came in here and got hounded!

As I said, it's seen as unacceptable by most people here now, but there's a minority of people who, for the reasons I said, still do it. And it's probably about equal split between the three. It's unfortunate, but it's going to be a long time before it gets weeded out due to the historic nature.

And it's really not as frequent as the media would have you believe. At Ibrox, which is the only SPL ground I can comment on, it really is a a really small minority, and I'm sure someone will confirm the same about Parkhead. It's our away support who are worse actually, and from what I've seen on TV, the same can be said for Celtic's away support.

And while the hatred between English clubs isn't in any way religious for the most part, some of the stuff that gets chanted is still pretty disgusting. Also a much bigger problem with racism in England, especially in the lower leagues, which is ridiculous in its own way.

Football is merely the window for the problem. It all roots in a much more serious social problem in the west of Scotland. If you are genuinely interested in why it exists then i suggest you read up on sectarianism in Scotland (and of course the Republic and Northern Ireland). Something too complicated to answer in a single post and which has no real place in a football thread.

Archived