2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Irish friend made a similar point to me a while back. "How come you all get in trouble for singing rebel songs, but if you sing Scots Wha' Hae or Flower Of Scotland you're a good Scot?"

Good troll.Flower Of Scotland is the national anthem. Nobody has a problem with Celtic fans singing the Soldier Song, it's the add on's that make it bigoted.The key word here is "Guilty". And with that one word you have all fallen of your moral high horse from a great, great height.
Clarification on this? The songs don't belong at football. I've said as much before so I'm curious to see if I'm included in this collective.Yes, we have been charged and it's a stain on the club's name; but let's face it Ally, there is little to no concrete directive on what Celtic have been charged for. Exactly which ones are the 'illicit' ones? It would help to know what's allowed and what's not before we try to stamp it out. And before someone replies "you know fine well which ones they are", well - no I don't, to be honest. I have a fair idea but the lines are blurred when I've heard people claim that Let The People Sing is a rebel song and that the Fields of Athenry should be banned from football grounds. If there's one positive about this sorry situation is that some militant people on the Celtic end might go for the jugular now concerning the behaviour of Rangers fans at Easter Road on Saturday.

Who will be relegated from the SPL this season then? Something tells me Aberdeen will come out of their slump and finish 9th or so. Hibs have been rotten and if it wasn't for the goals from Gary O'Connor, they could be in real trouble. Time will tell if Fenlon will stabilise them.

Personally, I hope it's Inverness Caley that go down again. Great away trip but full of bitter memories and tough games. Arsehole of a manager and just a general inconvenience.

• Paid Members

In truth Caley and Dunfermline bring absolutely nothing to the league and neither would be missed.

For selfish reasons I would prefer Dunfermline to go down as the awayday to Caley is always a good laugh.

If Caley stay up then just think, Dingwall AND Inverness next season. That really would be an inconvenience for the southern teams.

An Irish friend made a similar point to me a while back. "How come you all get in trouble for singing rebel songs, but if you sing Scots Wha' Hae or Flower Of Scotland you're a good Scot?"

Good troll.

Flower Of Scotland is the national anthem. Nobody has a problem with Celtic fans singing the Soldier Song, it's the add on's that make it bigoted.

The key word here is "Guilty". And with that one word you have all fallen of your moral high horse from a great, great height.

It absolutely wasn't trolling. If I'm heartily encouraged to sing about the joys of killing English people when I'm at a rugby game, why is it a big deal to sing about it at a football game? If it's purely about adopting Irish songs in a Scottish football ground, what the fuck has Derry's Walls or The Sash got to do with anything? That's right - they're part of the cultural inheritance of the communities that support the two Glasgow clubs. It's also why I've ALWAYS said I have no problem with some of the songs that Graham Spiers, for example, would like you all to stop singing. The only ones that really bother me are things like The Billy Boys and No Pope Of Rome. If you paid attention to any of my comments on these subjects, you'd note that I always say how much I dislike the "add-ons" to certain Celtic songs. There's just no need for them when we have so many cracking songs without them.

Also, LOL at you now taking the moral high ground because Celtic fans have been condemned for a somewhat similar offence to the one you've been protesting your innocence about for years. I think if anyone can take the moral high ground here, it's probably the people who've spent that whole time saying "you're both as bad as each other." If anything, I always hoped/thought that that was what would make our lot keep their noses clean. Stupid little bastards.

That's some of the old SS crew, Martyn. They were celebrating the release of the new Motherwell casuals book. What do you expect them to do? Wave politely to the camera?

Still, it could be worse. They could be making homophobic remarks ;)

• Paid Members

God bless the Daily Record for looking after us and telling us what we can and can't sing.....

Bigotry Bill: Fans told the songs they can't sing

Dec 15 2011

SING ON

The Sash

A song celebrating the Glorious Revolution of 1688. It celebrates successes of the Protestant Crown in Irish battles against forces of the deposed Catholic King James VII of Scotland and II of England and Ireland. The lyrics are not deemed offensive and the new legislation would not prevent the song being sung.

The Fields Of Athenry

A song which refers to rebellion against the

• Paid Members
No problems with any of that.

No mention of Super Rangers though or the real lines of Born under a Union Jack. The "Booby Sands" additions to My Fathers Advice should also put that on the list.

I refuse to accept that Sheep Shagging Bastards should be on that list. Over the top madness.

• Paid Members
According to OptaJoe, Celtic haven't won an away game in Europe (excluding qualifiers) in 25 games.

According to BBC journalist Liam McLeod....

Celtic's away record stretches back to 2003's win over MTK Hungaria in 2003/2004 with only win v Dinamo Moscow in 2009

It's just 1 win in 32 away in Europe for the SPL side

Archived