2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Craig, how many clubs have won the Scottish Premier League in the last 20 years? Even if England was dominated by a single side, at least they can say they don't have George Samaras playing for one of the best teams in their league. You know Craig, just because I don't think the Scottish Premier League is very good doesn't make me a troll. There's a hell of a lot of people who think the SPL is embarassingly poor. All I wanted from this thread was an interesting insight with level headed posters about why they watch a league so notorious for it's poor quality. Instead I got Heysel references and people calling me a cunt.

2. Which is only 2 less than the English. 1 of which was as you so elequently put it, a fluke (Blackburn).

Just because you think the SPL is crap doesn't make you a troll, you're right about that. Posting it in the Scottish football thread doesn't even make you a troll. The actual post, however, does. And I've seen you trolling in other threads as well.

Asking people why they support the league of the country that they live in, with one of the proudest histories in world football is an utterly ridiculous question.

Heysel was brought up because you brought up a small number of Rangers fans in Manchester. There are a hell of a lot of people who think the SPL is poor, but they don't come in here and call people idiots for watching it.

We know our league is crap,it's ranked 17th in Europe, FFS, but you don't need to ask Scottish people why they watch the Scottish Premier League. It should be pretty obvious. And to suggest that it would be "more fun" to support a foreign club is utterly clueless. Just out of curiosity, what team do you support? I bet it's not Wigan, Stoke, Blackburn, or any of the other less fashionable clubs. My guess is Liverpool, given you're in Wales, or maybe one of the London or Manchester big guns?

I called you a cunt because you were coming across as one. There's a good chance you're not a cunt, but it's the way it looks from here.

Would you ask a Swede, a Czech, or a Croat why they watch their league (all ranked below us). Probably not, as it's obvious that they'll support a team that's at least sort of local to them or has some family connection.

Was this level headed enough for you?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People are calling you a cunt because you are a cunt. How the fuck can you "fluke" your way to a European Final? Eh? That's impossible. You could "fluke" one or two games but not every single fucking one home and away!

In fairness, you weren't far off it! How you managed to get past Bremen and Fioentina i'll never know, and Panathinaikos was pretty lucky too, I remember them having some awful misses before the scrappy last gasp goal to take it on away goals. The Lisbon tie was the only one you in which you were good value for the win, on account of them being so toothless despite having about 3/4s of possession.

• Paid Members
We know our league is crap,it's ranked 17th in Europe, FFS, but you don't need to ask Scottish people why they watch the Scottish Premier League. It should be pretty obvious. And to suggest that it would be "more fun" to support a foreign club is utterly clueless. Just out of curiosity, what team do you support? I bet it's not Wigan, Stoke, Blackburn, or any of the other less fashionable clubs. My guess is Liverpool, given you're in Wales, or maybe one of the London or Manchester big guns?

Why would he support Liverpool? They were crap last season and haven't won the League in years. My guess is he supports Man United but is currently weighing up whether it might "more fun" to support Man City.

People are calling you a cunt because you are a cunt. How the fuck can you "fluke" your way to a European Final? Eh? That's impossible. You could "fluke" one or two games but not every single fucking one home and away!

In fairness, you weren't far off it! How you managed to get past Bremen and Fioentina i'll never know, and Panathinaikos was pretty lucky too, I remember them having some awful misses before the scrappy last gasp goal to take it on away goals. The Lisbon tie was the only one you in which you were good value for the win, on account of them being so toothless despite having about 3/4s of possession.

I don't support Rangers mate, the reason Rangers got past those teams is because they had phenomenal performances from individual players, Rangers took their chances , the other teams simply did not. I don't see anything "flukey" in that at all. Rangers rightly deserved to be in that final.

I don't support Rangers mate, the reason Rangers got past those teams is because they had phenomenal performances from individual players, Rangers took their chances , the other teams simply did not. I don't see anything "flukey" in that at all. Rangers rightly deserved to be in that final.

What team do you support Biff? I could have sworn you were a Rangers man. Have you not said as much in the past?

Also, I think this thread gets a harsh rap. There has been idiocy on supreme levels in this thread in the past (of which I admit to causing a large portion). For the most part, I think we've behaved ourselves well in recent months. Due to the nature of the beast in Scotland, we often have to talk about the undesirable topics that mar our game, but these days it's sensibly handled. We also have tit-for-tat banter that resembles a phone-in, there's no malice involved. The quality of football discussion and debate has been on the rise for some time, yet we get the reputation of being a bunch of yahoos; this isn't the first time I've noticed some walloper come into this thread to detract from our very existence as a footballing nation.

Unity!

Ah right, sorry bout that.

You could look at it that way, in which case there's no such thing as a fluke in the game of football. Generally imo though, if one team has all the possession, plays all the attacking & creative football, creates a barroload of chances, yet manages to somehow miss out thanks to uncharacteristaly bad finishing, keepers playing the game of their lives, their own keeper chucking it or just through not getting the breaks, it's fair to say it was a bit spawny.

To someone who does believe that some wins are deserved and others are a bit lucky, Rangers UEFA Cup run that year was the perfect example of the latter.

The last match I went to in Scotland was when Morton beat Peterhead ( I think) to win the Third Division!

Niiiiiiiice. That was some day. One of the most tense I can ever remember actually.

On Rangers fluking it, that didn't happen. Did they get lucky in some games? Yes. However, there's a difference between that and fluking almost an entire tournament, which if you ask me, isn't possible.

In the UEFA run, Rangers were unlucky not to beat Panathinaikos at home, but got lucky with the late away goal in Greece. Were absolutely brilliant against Bremen at home and did enough away. Were lucky not to lose at home to Sporting, but had one of the best performances I've seen in the away leg. And against Fiorentina were superb defensively in both legs. A couple of lucky results along the way, but generally some really great defensive performances.

I supported both Partick Thistle and Morton up until the age of about fifteen, I still look out for their results but would be lying if I said I "supported" them. The last match I went to in Scotland was when Morton beat Peterhead ( I think) to win the Third Division!

The last match I went to in Scotland was when Morton beat Peterhead ( I think) to win the Third Division!

Niiiiiiiice. That was some day. One of the most tense I can ever remember actually.

On Rangers fluking it, that didn't happen. Did they get lucky in some games? Yes. However, there's a difference between that and fluking almost an entire tournament, which if you ask me, isn't possible.

Yeah that was an awesome day - one of my favourite Ton games ever. The only other ones that come close are v Killie in the Scottish Cup in 2007 (i think) and v Hibs in the League Cup a couple of years ago. Biggest regret as a Ton fan was missing the Dundee United playoff decider in 1995 - couldn't make it as I was on holiday, although I didn't have much choice as I was only 10!

In the UEFA run, Rangers were unlucky not to beat Panathinaikos at home, but got lucky with the late away goal in Greece. Were absolutely brilliant against Bremen at home and did enough away. Were lucky not to lose at home to Sporting, but had one of the best performances I've seen in the away leg. And against Fiorentina were superb defensively in both legs. A couple of lucky results along the way, but generally some really great defensive performances.

The Werder Bremen games were the ones that really exasperated me. Did Bremen not ship an utterly avoidable goal at Ibrox? The keeper fumbling an effort from Davis comes to mind. I remember ripping my knitting watching the second game, thinking it was surely time up on Rangers' European adventure.

The Werder Bremen games were the ones that really exasperated me. Did Bremen not ship an utterly avoidable goal at Ibrox? The keeper fumbling an effort from Davis comes to mind. I remember ripping my knitting watching the second game, thinking it was surely time up on Rangers' European adventure.

The keeper had a shocker that night, there can be no arguments about that, but the overall performance was great. How we didn't lose by more than 1 over there is still a mystery to me though. Should have lost 3 or 4, but Weir and Cuellar were virtually unbeatable that night. Most nervous I've ever been watching a game.

You'll remember McGregor's save in the 86th minute away to Bremen as well I'm sure, absolutely ridiculous how he got to it. My Celtic supporting mate virtually sat in silence for the full game until that and nearly put his foot through my fire place in anger! And although their goalkeeper fucked up in the first leg, Lee McCulloch missed a sitter in the final minute to put us 3-0 up which would've pretty much killed the tie.

That run will remain with me forever, words can't describe the joy I felt after Novo's penalty in Florence.

You'll remember McGregor's save in the 86th minute away to Bremen as well I'm sure, absolutely ridiculous how he got to it. My Celtic supporting mate virtually sat in silence for the full game until that and nearly put his foot through my fire place in anger! And although their goalkeeper fucked up in the first leg, Lee McCulloch missed a sitter in the final minute to put us 3-0 up which would've pretty much killed the tie.

That run will remain with me forever, words can't describe the joy I felt after Novo's penalty in Florence.

Don't think I'll ever forget that save. If that had gone in, it was extra time and we'd never have won it. Novo's penalty in Florence. Now there's a memory!

You'll remember McGregor's save in the 86th minute away to Bremen as well I'm sure, absolutely ridiculous how he got to it.

McGregor's made that many vital saves over the years that I'm trying to block them out mentally :laugh:. The one that keeps coming to mind right now is the save from Majstorovic's header in the 0-0 derby in April. He saved a penalty that day but that save probably won Rangers the league then and there. 99 times out of 100, that is a goal.

Archived