2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Going back to the point before you continue your attempt at no-selling Houchen, you might want to read back to the point where he actually makes the point that he disagrees with the ruling before you go off on another inadvertently hilarious flail.

I don't understand why the ruling continues to be discussed on this forum when it will never be accepted by any party for what it is. You will have:

a) Celtic fans like myself who contest that the "illicit" or pro-IRA songs chanted at our matches are not sectarian and as such, should not be categorised with the same punitive measures as the overtly anti-Catholic chants that the sectarian bill is seeking to weed out. There is even a division in the Celtic support as to whether or not it is acceptable to sing these songs (my opinion on which has already been provided a few pages back).

b) Rangers fans who are desperately trying to see the offensive Celtic songs criminalised to the same extent as the Famine Song/the Billy Boys and what have you.

c) Neutrals who support Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts or a host of other "family" clubs who sanctimoniously judge the Glasgow clubs from their hovels and pin all the blame on "the Old Firm - they're two cheeks of the same arse, didn't you know?" All the while neglecting to mention that their own songbooks should be under equal scrutiny for the content on offer; such examples being revelling in the deaths of innocent football fans in stadium disasters or in paedophilia.

d) Neutrals from England/Ireland/Wales etc who receive their information from reportage in media outlets and cannot quite grasp the blame culture that exists in Scotland (NOT exclusively the West of Scotland) or have the time/inclination to study into the histrionics of our murky past.

The ruling cannot be defined by the government or fairly implemented at this stage. So how can we be expected to have a sensible discussion on the matter? We've tried talking about football for the last few pages but as usual, laymen from far off lands wade in time and again to bring up the ugly issue. It's only natural that anyone in the above four categories will defend their stance on the subject, bringing about heated arguments in the process.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
c) Neutrals who support Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts or a host of other "family" clubs who sanctimoniously judge the Glasgow clubs from their hovels and pin all the blame on "the Old Firm - they're two cheeks of the same arse, didn't you know?" All the while neglecting to mention that their own songbooks should be under equal scrutiny for the content on offer; such examples being revelling in the deaths of innocent football fans in stadium disasters or in paedophilia.

I guess that is aimed at Aberdeen fans, and as usual I'll state that in 20 years of attending matches I've never heard this sung at any game.

I guess that is aimed at Aberdeen fans, and as usual I'll state that in 20 years of attending matches I've never heard this sung at any game.

I've had my season ticket since I was 10 years old and up until a couple of season ago it was sang repeatedly when Aberdeen came to Ibrox. Only been to Pittodrie once and never heard it. In recent years the songs of Aberdeen's 3 tune songbook have been "Bring Back My Stereo" and "In Your Glasgow Slums". And obviously that uprising anthem about Ian Durrant. I literally could not name you one song Aberdeen sing about their team. Not one. And they have the cheek (Not the two Aberdonians on here specifically) to brandish the Old Firm with the same brush.

I went to a Livi/Rangers game at Almondvale when Livi were tearing up the SPL and in the toilets, in massive black marker ink was "The Ibrox disaster was magic. Regards, AFC"

But again, I think I know better than most that teams have sizeable sections of idiots. Especially at away matches, so I wouldn't brand all their fans scum.

On another subject, I've noticed that most Celtic fans I know and on here back the GB. Whereas on our side we're torn about TBO. I for one, think they are a bunch of self proclaimed "super supporters" who look down at other Rangers fans. But the treatment they have been getting from Police in recent games at Ibrox is nothing short of scandalous and it's only a matter of time before one beefhead cop upsets a TBO buffoon to the point a full scale rammy will break out.

I have mixed feelings about the Green Brigade. On the positive side, I think they are up there with any group of ultras in football in terms of providing atmosphere and colour to the ground. They have turned Parkhead into a fun place to go to again, even for dull fixtures. When they are singing about Celtic, they're unbeatable. The chant that goes between each side of the stadium ("CELTIC!!!/CELTIC!!!/COME ON YE BHOYS IN GREEN!/COME ON YE BHOYS IN GREEN!") etc gives the games a really continental vibe that wouldn't be out of place in Germany or a full Italian stadium. Look at tonight's home game against Dunfermline. It's absolutely torrential rain outside and a night at the football is just about the worst thing anyone could imagine. Two or three seasons ago, it would have been a nightmare with poor football and a silent atmosphere. Tonight, the Green Brigade will be full of drink and in loud voice. If the team starts well, everyone will jump on board and there'll be a proper atmosphere. I'm actually looking forward to going in spite of how dreech it is out.

The negatives don't need to be discussed cos I've already said my piece on that matter. There's no place for IRA chants at the games. In a similar vein, the Green Brigade is taking on an almost boogeyman figure in the media. Apparently a Celtic fan on his way back to Ireland was detained by the police at Glasgow Airport on Saturday after the Inverness game and the first question he was asked was: "are you in the Green Brigade?". The second was "do you know anyone who is in the Green Brigade?" It's not a cloak-and-dagger organisation. You can find them in section 111 at any home game or wherever their banner is situated at away grounds. The hysteria surrounding them at the moment is a bit pathetic.

• Paid Members
In recent years the songs of Aberdeen's 3 tune songbook have been "Bring Back My Stereo" and "In Your Glasgow Slums". And obviously that uprising anthem about Ian Durrant. I literally could not name you one song Aberdeen sing about their team. Not one. And they have the cheek (Not the two Aberdonians on here specifically) to brandish the Old Firm with the same brush.

Granted there isn't many but....

Stand Free,

Aberdeen (repeat until infinity/boredom),

Come on you Reds (Which in fairness at Ibrox is more likely to be changed into Go home you H*ns)

We hate Glasgow Rangers etc...(It ends with a mention of Aberdeen so it counts),

Oh when the Reds go....

I'm sure there is a couple I've forgotten and add to that various songs about Lee Miller, Charlie Mulgrew, Sone Aluko, Jamie Smith (I loved the "12 days of Jamie Smith" song) while they were still with us. There is nobody other than Kari Arnason currently deserving of their own song).

I went to a Livi/Rangers game at Almondvale when Livi were tearing up the SPL and in the toilets, in massive black marker ink was "The Ibrox disaster was magic. Regards, AFC"

That could have easily been Airdrie or Arbroath fans! ;)

On another subject, I've noticed that most Celtic fans I know and on here back the GB. Whereas on our side we're torn about TBO. I for one, think they are a bunch of self proclaimed "super supporters" who look down at other Rangers fans.

This is a complaint that myself and many other Aberdeen fans had about the Red Ultras. Thankfully they were found out just to be a bunch of silly wee boys. Which is why they never connected with the rest of support. The club thankfully threw them and their shitey flags out on their arse after one too many complaints of them causing trouble at away games.

But then, It wasn't my Dad that lamped one of them at Tannadice - was it Bettencourt?! :laugh:

I always liked "We're red, yer dead, we're jumping on yer head........" to be honest.

Off to Celtic park soon can we predict how many goals we'll lose? I've seen Dunfermline win their twice in my time, ironically with a worse team then we have now and Celtic with a stronger team than they have now, but equally seen a few tennis scores come in over the years and it can be grim.

• Paid Members
In recent years the songs of Aberdeen's 3 tune songbook have been "Bring Back My Stereo" and "In Your Glasgow Slums". And obviously that uprising anthem about Ian Durrant. I literally could not name you one song Aberdeen sing about their team. Not one. And they have the cheek (Not the two Aberdonians on here specifically) to brandish the Old Firm with the same brush.

Granted there isn't many but....

Stand Free,

Aberdeen (repeat until infinity/boredom),

Come on you Reds (Which in fairness at Ibrox is more likely to be changed into Go home you H*ns)

We hate Glasgow Rangers etc...(It ends with a mention of Aberdeen so it counts),

Oh when the Reds go....

I'm sure there is a couple I've forgotten and add to that various songs about Lee Miller, Charlie Mulgrew, Sone Aluko, Jamie Smith (I loved the "12 days of Jamie Smith" song) while they were still with us. There is nobody other than Kari Arnason currently deserving of their own song).

That could have easily been Airdrie or Arbroath fans! ;)

On another subject, I've noticed that most Celtic fans I know and on here back the GB. Whereas on our side we're torn about TBO. I for one, think they are a bunch of self proclaimed "super supporters" who look down at other Rangers fans.

This is a complaint that myself and many other Aberdeen fans had about the Red Ultras. Thankfully they were found out just to be a bunch of silly wee boys. Which is why they never connected with the rest of support. The club thankfully threw them and their shitey flags out on their arse after one too many complaints of them causing trouble at away games.

But then, It wasn't my Dad that lamped one of them at Tannadice - was it Bettencourt?! :laugh:

Sigh. Nah, it was me that hit one of them and my dad pushed a guy over as he refused to let my dad to his seat. Who as you will have heard, had very bad problems with his legs at the time and would often sit for 5 minutes every so often at the away games we'd attend.

The boy was a pompous arse! My dad very kindly asked him to move along so he could get to his seat. He refused saying he was gonna stand there holding his flag, which was one of those big overhead ones. I nearly tripped over a bit of rope from the flag. My dad got pissed off and pushed him over. He then moved to the end of the row.

After that, they let off a flare in the shed end. Now, being up the back where the roof is smallest and being more or less right next to the guy, the smoke was suffocating and almost blinding. My dad made it outside. I however, was stuck behind a cunt singing those stupid Italian songs that the Ultras sang and he wouldn't budge. So I gave him a swift punch and managed to squeeze past.

We then moved to the left side of the Shed End and had quite an amusing time at this drunken weegie who decided that he wanted to be my best mate.

All in all. No one should have been pushed and punched. But the bottom line is. The Ultras were full of cunts who were highly inconsiderate to the fans around them.

Well, newfangled legislation that's not even really in place yet may say so, but tell that to all the Aberdeen/Dundee Utd/Hibs/Motherwell/insert team here fans who have defined a Rangers supporter as a "Hun" since the dawn of time.

Funnily enough, it's usually Celtic fans calling us Huns than us calling Rangers fans Huns. In fact, I don't think I've ever used the term.

I do think it was nowhere as bad as smug Motherwell fans though!

TmQjs.gif

In other news, Rangers have broke the bank and splashed out on the marquee signing of Sone Aluko.

307743_307883722563723_210468495638580_1261672_1458055966_n.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll act as a good squad player. And he did look good for Aberdeen at times but I can't help but think we should be looking at other options than a man who has been without a club since July for a possible Naismith replacement.

• Paid Members
Don't get me wrong, I think he'll act as a good squad player. And he did look good for Aberdeen at times but I can't help but think we should be looking at other options than a man who has been without a club since July for a possible Naismith replacement.

Aluko is a good player when he can be arsed. I've seen him be fantastic for us but sadly I've also seen him play like the second coming of Nigel Pepper.

He's they type of player that if you hit him hard early on he loses interest and disappears very quickly, so in that aspect he'll be a marked man.

Of course he'll likely go on to be a revelation for Rangers and undoubtedly score the next time he plays us. :angry:

I'm pretty sure the reason he couldn't be arsed was because he was playing for a dreadful team, in a half empty stadium that were getting knocked out of cups by the likes of East Fife. He could do a decent job for Rangers but surely as someone else pointed out they could've done a wee bit better. Did he not have a trial at Juventus?

I'm pretty sure the reason he couldn't be arsed was because he was playing for a dreadful team, in a half empty stadium that were getting knocked out of cups by the likes of East Fife. He could do a decent job for Rangers but surely as someone else pointed out they could've done a wee bit better. Did he not have a trial at Juventus?

He did have a trial with Juventus, which unsurprisingly went nowhere. He got the heave ho from Sheffield United as well. We should be doing better than him, but got to take what's available. Hopefully he'll do alright, but not expecting too much.

Archived