2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

He gets those high-profile matches because his marks are high, ergo he is technically one of the best as he is consistently getting high marks from referee observers. That's not just me and the SFA btw, UEFA and FIFA are high on him too, he's a near enough cert to go to a World Cup or Euros at some stage from what I hear. He might make errors but technically, i.e. positioning, sanctions etc he's one of the best.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck all to do with the rest of the referees mentioned but how the fuck is Iain Brines still getting SPL games?

Craig Thomson or Calum Murray seem the fairest in my opinion.

He gets those high-profile matches because his marks are high, ergo he is technically one of the best as he is consistently getting high marks from referee observers. That's not just me and the SFA btw, UEFA and FIFA are high on him too, he's a near enough cert to go to a World Cup or Euros at some stage from what I hear. He might make errors but technically, i.e. positioning, sanctions etc he's one of the best.

collum_back_to_ball_angle_21_1.png

If that's the standard, this country is fucked for the long term.

Was doing some bored browsing yesterday and ended up looking through the Scotland youth squads, noticed Jordan Rhodes was doing well, started looking through old U21 squads and eventually settled on the page for the 1996 U21 Championships which Scotland got to the semi finals of. The other three semi finalists were Spain, France and Italy.

How good could we be but for booze and birds? Look at the Scotland squad then look at the other three squads.

Scotland - Derek Stillie, Scott Marshall, Jackie McNamara, Steven Pressley, Christian Dailly, Jamie Fullarton, Stephen Crawford, Charlie Miller, Jim Hamilton, Simon Donnelly, Allan Johnston, Colin Meldrum, Stuart Gray, Martin Baker, Stephen Glass, Neil Murray, Andy Liddell, Brian McLaughlin.

Spain - Juan Luis Mora, Gaizka Mendieta, Agust

Wading back into the referee discussion from a few days ago, I went to Strling Uni v Whitehill Welfare this afternoon, where Willie Collum was the referee. Having been a major critic of Collum - along with everyone else on here! I was actually pretty impressed with him today. He's definitely a cut above the referees I usually see at this level, spoke the the players clearly, explained his decisions and let the game flow. Granted, it wasn't a particularly difficult game to ref, but he did well. That said, I'm sure he'll fuck something up next time the pressure and TV cameras are back on him.

Otherwise, I was left disappointed, Striling won the game 1-0 with an 88th minute goal. Whitehill should have been about 5-0 up by that point, but a combination of the woodwork, good goalkeeping and poor finishing saw that not happening!

• Paid Members
Is nobody more annoyed Ireland are home and hosed?

Why annoyed? It's true we do have similar teams but obviously our manager is far superior and in Keane were lucky to have a fantastic goalscorer at International level. I'd love your midfield though.

Is nobody more annoyed Ireland are home and hosed?

Why annoyed? It's true we do have similar teams but obviously our manager is far superior and in Keane were lucky to have a fantastic goalscorer at International level. I'd love your midfield though.

Annoyed was maybe not the right word. I couldn't be happier that Ireland are at the finals and I will get right behind them.

What annoys me is I think that is the level we should be playing at.

• Paid Members
No amount of hilarious images will change the facts though. Both him & his assistant are out of their depth.

What did you think about Graham Souness saying how he would not take the Scottish job and has never wanted to do it?

Celtic will face disciplinary proceedings from Uefa on 8 December over "illicit chanting" during their Europa League tie against Rennes.

European football's governing body will hold the hearing on alleged offensive singing at the match played at Celtic Park on 3 November.

The Strathclyde Police match commander notified the Uefa delegate about offensive chants made by some fans.

Celtic are seeking clarification on the matter from the police and Uefa.

"We have been made aware of this hearing in a letter from Uefa," said a Celtic spokesperson. "We have not been given any detail on the nature of the alleged incidents and have not received any information on this matter directly from the police.

"Celtic supporters have a magnificent record of positive support for their team, something recognised by both Uefa and Fifa in recent years and we are extremely proud of this reputation.

"Therefore, the club will co-operate fully with any Uefa investigation."

The claims are believed to centre on songs about the IRA.

And a Uefa spokesman has confirmed that the organisation's control and disciplinary body will examine a charge of "an incident of an unsporting nature, namely illicit chanting".

A police spokesman said at the weekend: "There were a number of instances during the game of singing offensive songs and inquiries are ongoing to detect the offenders."

At Celtic's annual general meeting last month, chief executive Peter Lawwell urged fans to stop singing pro-IRA chants after being "inundated" with complaints from their own supporters following their 2-0 defeat by Hearts at Tynecastle.

And Lothian and Borders Police announced they had launched an investigation into the "singing of sectarian songs" at that game.

Lawwell said at the club's annual general meeting: "Chants glorifying the Provisional IRA are totally unacceptable.

"It is an embarrassment to the club. We don't want it, we don't need it.

"It is wrong, and it is an embarrassment to the club and an embarrassment to the majority of supporters.

"We were inundated by complaints from our own fans after the game at Tynecastle.

"We have dealt with it at Celtic Park and we will do all we can to make sure it doesn't happen home or away.

"We don't want it, we don't need it. We have the best supporters in the world and hold that reputation dear."

In April, Uefa punished Rangers for two counts of "discriminatory behaviour" when they played PSV Eindhoven.

The sectarian singing meant the Ibrox club's fans were banned from travelling to their next European away game, the club was fined 80,000 euros (

No amount of hilarious images will change the facts though. Both him & his assistant are out of their depth.

What did you think about Graham Souness saying how he would not take the Scottish job and has never wanted to do it?

Of course he'll say that. Can you blame him? He was told that he was guaranteed the job last time and that him attending an interview was nothing more than a formality. After attending that interview the job was given to Levein.

Can you seriously imagine Souness putting up with the shit from the blazers at the SFA? No chance.

Archived