2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

I assume you're referring to Colin Hardie? If so, then no he didn't.

Really? The lower division managers all rallied against him around the mid 00s and I haven't seen him since.

See you have took Dom Cervi on loan. He's been at Celtic for years and I honestly couldn't tell you whether he was good or bad.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cervi was highly touted before he went to Celtic. I'm actually pretty surprised he's not been given a run in the team actually, considering the bombscares they've had between the sticks.

In other news, some of the "top" refs in the country have been given non-league games this weekend due to no SPL games. There are more, but with me only following the East of Scotland League all I know is:

Willie Collum refs Stirling Uni v Whitehill Welfare.

SFL officials Mike Tumilty officiates Duns v Edinburgh City, Craig Charleston takes Spartans v Eyemouth, and Brian Colvin umpires Vale of Leithen v Selkirk.

I can't wait to hear the abuse Collum gets. I'll be dishing it out myself no doubt. Early start this week, 45ish minutes to Stirling for a 1.15 kick off, and I'm not really sure where I'm going. And I can't imagine the lads I'm supposed to be driving are going to be much help! Should be a cracking game though

Collum had an Annan Athletic game a couple of months back, he was crap there too.

Was this the Alloa game at Galabank Si?

If so, then you're spot on- he was dreadful.

• Paid Members
Collum had an Annan Athletic game a couple of months back, he was crap there too.

Was this the Alloa game at Galabank Si?

If so, then you're spot on- he was dreadful.

Yup, that was the one, Cox scored a cracker for the second that day. Were you down for the cup game too? I missed that one.

Willie Collum is an absolute pube and one of the worst referees in the country. It frightens me that he is sanctioned to referee Champions League games. He reminds me of the smug milk monitor in school who lorded his position over others; but in reality, nobody respects him and would probably batter him if presented the chance.

It depends what you mean by best. If we're talking technically then I would go for Willie Collum and Craig Thomson as being the best in terms of technical ability. If we're talking more along the lines of man/game management I'd go for Steve Conroy and Calum Murray. Fans will usually like a referee who doesn't get a big call wrong against their team or who cals a few 50/50s in favour of the other team so inevitably they end up disliking most refs over time.

I actually think the standard of refereeing in Scotland is quite decent in comparison to some countries. I'll be accused of bias but I can assure you I am not genereally a supporter of the way the SFA manages referees. Steven Craven's case at Hampden yesterday disgusted me actually. Wouldn't put my views on a public forum in their entirety but happy to discuss by PM as I have done with some guys before.

There's a core fo good young referees coming through just now who are very, very good and in particular Euan Anderson, Nick Walsh and David Munro are going to be top class referees IMO.

It depends what you mean by best. If we're talking technically then I would go for Willie Collum and Craig Thomson as being the best in terms of technical ability.

How can Willie Collum be considered one of the best when he almost habitually makes the headlines nearly every time he referees a high-profile match?

Archived