2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Paid Members

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-23513312/

Ex-Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood slams successor Mark McGhee over his Dons slur

JIMMY CALDERWOOD has poured scorn on Mark McGhee's claim that Aberdeen is rotten to the core and insists the ex-Dons boss is blaming the club for his own failings.

Gothenburg Great McGhee has admitted he made the wrong career choice by returning to Pittodrie in June 2009.

McGhee ended up being sacked last December after the worst run of results in the club's history which included a record 9-0 humiliation by Celtic.

The former Dons striker now says there was no leadership from chairman Stewart Milne and that the players resented him, his staff and their coaching methods.

And he maintains the club is also full of cliques and that Pittodrie is now gripped by a cold, unfriendly atmosphere.

However Calderwood, whose dismissal paved the way for McGhee to take charge at the club, admits he is stunned by the criticism of the club he still loves.

He said: "I am astounded by Mark's comments about Aberdeen. He inherited a decent legacy with the club in Europe and a willing and motivated group of players who had taken it there.

"There were a lot of strong characters in the dressing-room but never once in my five years there did I feel any resentment from any player.

"In my 190 games in charge, we won a lot more than we lost and always finished in the top half of the league. We also reached the last 32 in the UEFA Cup and couldn't have done all that unless the players were hungry, willing and committed.

"There were constant changes in the playing staff because were always trying to improve and the board was invariably supportive of my plans.

"The office staff were also absolutely magnificent. It was a wonderful, happy club where I would have been content to spend the rest of my career.

"I believe three cup semi-final defeats did for me although I have never been given a reason. That gnaws away at me, I wish Stewart Milne or Willie Miller would tell me and I'd get closure.

"As for Mark's sacking, he's been in the game long enough to know a manager lives or dies by results.

"Right from the start Aberdeen seemed to change - and not for the better.

"Every manager is entitled to work to his own agenda but it is wrong to blame the players because I know them better than their parents and every one was a good pro who would do his best.

"When you lose a game 9-0, you should know you are under pressure because that sort of result should never happen at a club like Aberdeen.

"It is a huge club and expectations are high. Mark came nowhere near meeting them and paid the price with his job."

Let's play Jimmy Calderwood Bingo.......

1. Top six every season

2. Not been given a reason

3. Wonderful club

4. Cup Semi-Final defeats did me in

HOUSE!!!!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Make of this what you will;

Two companies featuring the name Glasgow Rangers have been officially registered by a man based in Buckinghamshire.

Glasgow Rangers Football Club Limited and Glasgow Rangers Limited were registered with Companies House.

Their sole director is Gerard Moran. He has not responded to requests for further information.

The registrations show no evidence of a connection with the current management at the Ibrox club.

Rangers finances have been under scrutiny in recent months, with some speculation the club could be placed in administration by its main shareholder and creditor Craig Whyte.

Last week former director Donald McIntyre won his legal bid to have

Spartans v Partick Thistle

Ayr United v Montrose

Irvine Meadow v Livingston

Stirling Albion v Dundee

Stenhousemuir v Alloa Athletic or Annan Athletic

Greenock Morton v Deveronvale

Airdrie United v Gala Fairydean

Keith v Arbroath

Fraserburgh or Elgin City v Queens Park

Stranraer v Forfar Athletic

Clachnacuddin or Inverurie Loco Works v Peterhead

Ross County v Albion Rovers

Bo

I think even the most optimistic Celtic fan must admit that 2nd place is the best they can hope for now. A draw with Hibs has ended their title hopes for another season.

On a positive note, the Motherwell bandwagon keeps on rolling! We grind out a win in Inverness to send us 3 points clear in 2nd. More importantly, this result sends us 7 points clear of the team in 4th spot.

All joking aside, we aren't competing for 2nd place, we're looking for 3rd, and we're well placed to take that spot at the moment.

If Neil Lennon stays at Celtic, I don't see why you can't compete for 2nd. He's a hopeless fuckwit.

Morton 0-1 Ross County

Not that we're much more hopeful ourselves at the minute, and we've never looked more hopeless than we did today. An utterly horrible performance from Morton and not once did we ever look like scoring. They looked like a tired and toothless side today, and only Bachirou put in the sort of effort that we're looking for.

• Paid Members
All joking aside, we aren't competing for 2nd place, we're looking for 3rd, and we're well placed to take that spot at the moment.

On a day like today when Willie Collum was Rangers best player you'll have to go a long way to finish 2nd.

• Paid Members

On a day like today when Willie Collum was Rangers best player you'll have to go a long way to finish 2nd.

Nah, the Main Stand linesman was. A good few times his hair must have been in his eyes. He also tackled Fraser Fyvie when he tried to take a corner!

I think even the most optimistic Celtic fan must admit that 2nd place is the best they can hope for now. A draw with Hibs has ended their title hopes for another season.

On a positive note, the Motherwell bandwagon keeps on rolling! We grind out a win in Inverness to send us 3 points clear in 2nd. More importantly, this result sends us 7 points clear of the team in 4th spot.

Agreed with this, unfortunately. I'm too deflated to say too much, but that is the league gubbed in my opinion. The only chance we have is that Rangers face a 10 point deduction for administration and we possibly get a new manager in to stabilise things. But as it stands, we're done for.

It seems like no-one really knows if it'll be a 10 or 25 point deduction if Rangers do go into administration, I would have thought the rules would have been clearer.

Also looking like a 3 year European ban if administration is entered and/or a new company is formed.

Really not looking good.

Still, glad we beat that mob yesterday, Aberdeen are definitely my second favourite team to beat. Shocker from McGregor, not sure what he was thinking, and not looking good for Naismith at all. Never good to see a player go down with no-one near them.

And I'm still going to Whitehill Welfare, 4-1 win yesterday. Loving the non-league football!

Archived