2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Paid Members
I'm just saying, he surely didn't become a bad manager overnight? It can't be coincidence that Aberdeen have had a load of managers over the past ten years or so, and every one of them has pretty much failed?

I disagree. Look at his transfer policy.

A million strikers and no fullbacks.

Also, it didn't help that we had a nucleus of unprofessional players tbh. So he has that to cling onto for excuses.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm just saying, he surely didn't become a bad manager overnight? It can't be coincidence that Aberdeen have had a load of managers over the past ten years or so, and every one of them has pretty much failed?

I disagree. Look at his transfer policy.

A million strikers and no fullbacks.

Also, it didn't help that we had a nucleus of unprofessional players tbh. So he has that to cling onto for excuses.

In fairness to him, he came in and tried to change the "lunatics running the asylum" culture that was rampant during Calderwoods reign.

The fullbacks thing is a stick that he'll be beaten with for a long time. He spoke about wanting to play 4-3-3. If you play that system with no natural full-backs you will get annihalated. Tactical buffoon.

You mean the 5 managers Aberdeen have had over the previous 10 years? In comparison to the 8 that Motherwell have had in that time, or the 7 that Dundee Utd have had, or the 10 that Hearts have had, or the 8 that Hibs have had, or the 5 that Celtic have had, or the 5 that Rangers have had, or the 6 that ICT have had, or the 5 that Killie have had, or the 6 that St Johnstone have had. Infact of all the Premier League teams, only St Mirren have had less managers than Aberdeen. It's not as if they're firing through them. And anyone who doesn't think McGhee should have been sacked is insane, 9-0 to Celtic, 1-0 to Raith Rovers, 13 games in a row without a win, 1-0 defeat to Dundee, 27% win ratio, statistically the second worst manager in Aberdeen's history, heaviest ever European aggregate defeat. His insistance on commuting from Brighton,his constant wanking over Celtic (and I'm a Celtic fan for what it's worth) and his false accusation that he'd been spat on by an Aberdeen supporter, later retracted by McGhee and then even later denied he'd even said it by McGhee.

You mean the 5 managers Aberdeen have had over the previous 10 years? In comparison to the 8 that Motherwell have had in that time, or the 7 that Dundee Utd have had, or the 10 that Hearts have had, or the 8 that Hibs have had, or the 5 that Celtic have had, or the 5 that Rangers have had, or the 6 that ICT have had, or the 5 that Killie have had, or the 6 that St Johnstone have had. Infact of all the Premier League teams, only St Mirren have had less managers than Aberdeen. It's not as if they're firing through them. And anyone who doesn't think McGhee should have been sacked is insane, 9-0 to Celtic, 1-0 to Raith Rovers, 13 games in a row without a win, 1-0 defeat to Dundee, 27% win ratio, statistically the second worst manager in Aberdeen's history, heaviest ever European aggregate defeat. His insistance on commuting from Brighton,his constant wanking over Celtic (and I'm a Celtic fan for what it's worth) and his false accusation that he'd been spat on by an Aberdeen supporter, later retracted by McGhee and then even later denied he'd even said it by McGhee.

Those are all fair points, but McGhee did have points of his own in that article. The structure of the club and lack of leadership probably hinders a great deal. Aberdeen has a decent history and the fans I know do nothing but hark on about the good old days. They expect Aberdeen to be the 3rd best in Scotland at least and they just won't get what they desire without a proud and determined person at the helm of the club.

Also, I dunno if it happens a lot in all other regions but their managers and players are splattered over the local evening paper each day talking shite about what they're going to do on Saturday, usually followed up by a slaughtering in Monday and Tuesday's editions. Calderwood I know wrote far too much for the paper. Just shut up and get on with your job!

You mean the 5 managers Aberdeen have had over the previous 10 years? In comparison to the 8 that Motherwell have had in that time

Well, as far as we go our manager changes can be explained as follows;

Billy Davies - Was sacked

Eric Black - Resigned as a result of us going into administration

Terry Butcher - Left for a job in Australia

Mark McGhee - Left us for Aberdeen (a move he regrets now, no doubt)

Jim Gannon - Was sacked

Craig Brown - Left us for Aberdeen

Stuart McCall - Still with us

By my reckoning, two of those eight managers were given their marching orders for failing. Carve it up whatever way you like, but our club is run very well, and was overseen by a chairman that supports his managers 100%.

You mean the 5 managers Aberdeen have had over the previous 10 years? In comparison to the 8 that Motherwell have had in that time

Well, as far as we go our manager changes can be explained as follows;

Billy Davies - Was sacked

Eric Black - Resigned as a result of us going into administration

Terry Butcher - Left for a job in Australia

Mark McGhee - Left us for Aberdeen (a move he regrets now, no doubt)

Jim Gannon - Was sacked

Craig Brown - Left us for Aberdeen

Stuart McCall - Still with us

By my reckoning, two of those eight managers were given their marching orders for failing. Carve it up whatever way you like, but our club is run very well, and was overseen by a chairman that supports his managers 100%.

I didn't say you'd hired bad managers, my post was in reply to you saying that it can't be coincidence that Aberdeen have gone through so many managers, my point was that in comparison to alot of other teams (including Motherwell) Aberdeen haven't exactly gone through that many. Infact Jimmy Calderwood prior to McGhee was Aberdeens longest serving manager since Ferguson and was there for 5 years, Motherwell would need to go back to Tommy McLean to find a manager that stayed at the club that long. And Christ knows how far back Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd would need to go to have a manager that stayed that long.

If anything, I think the Aberdeen board can be too loyal to managers, both Calderwood and McGhee should have gone long before they did.

On the subject about Aberdeen fans living in the past, yeah I think they do, but no more than Celtic fans go on about Lisbon, or England fans go on about '66. The difference is the supporters that go on about Lisbon and '66 are all in their 60's and 70's due to when it happened. Whereas Aberdeen supporters that bleat (pardon the pun) on about the 80's are alot younger. For what it's worth, Aberdeen haven't won a trophy in 16 years, I doubt anyone under the age of 25 thinks that the Club should be where it was in the 80's.

I didn't say you'd hired bad managers, my post was in reply to you saying that it can't be coincidence that Aberdeen have gone through so many managers, my point was that in comparison to alot of other teams (including Motherwell) Aberdeen haven't exactly gone through that many.

The point I was highlighting was that perhaps the problem at Aberdeen lies higher up than the manager? It can't be argued that Jimmy Calderwood, Mark McGhee, or even Craig Brown (as much as it pains me to say it) aren't good good managers.

Perhaps McGhee is correct? Maybe there's a problem at Aberdeen that no amount of managerial changes will solve?

Infact Jimmy Calderwood prior to McGhee was Aberdeens longest serving manager since Ferguson and was there for 5 years, Motherwell would need to go back to Tommy McLean to find a manager that stayed at the club that long. And Christ knows how far back Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd would need to go to have a manager that stayed that long.

Aberdeen, as one of Scotlands biggest clubs, should be able to retain their managers longer than a club like us though. As soon as a manager does well at Fir Park he's immediately having his head turned by bigger clubs.

Most of our former managers have either resigned or been snapped up by bigger clubs with more money to offer.

I didn't say you'd hired bad managers, my post was in reply to you saying that it can't be coincidence that Aberdeen have gone through so many managers, my point was that in comparison to alot of other teams (including Motherwell) Aberdeen haven't exactly gone through that many.

The point I was highlighting was that perhaps the problem at Aberdeen lies higher up than the manager? It can't be argued that Jimmy Calderwood, Mark McGhee, or even Craig Brown (as much as it pains me to say it) aren't good good managers.

Perhaps McGhee is correct? Maybe there's a problem at Aberdeen that no amount of managerial changes will solve?

Infact Jimmy Calderwood prior to McGhee was Aberdeens longest serving manager since Ferguson and was there for 5 years, Motherwell would need to go back to Tommy McLean to find a manager that stayed at the club that long. And Christ knows how far back Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd would need to go to have a manager that stayed that long.

Aberdeen, as one of Scotlands biggest clubs, should be able to retain their managers longer than a club like us though. As soon as a manager does well at Fir Park he's immediately having his head turned by bigger clubs.

Most of our former managers have either resigned or been snapped up by bigger clubs with more money to offer.

I'm not quite sure what your argument is here, if it is that there are problems at boardrom level at Aberdeen I think you'll find that most Aberdeen supporters have been saying this for years. However, I can understand Them getting annoyed at the way in which McGhee has said this. Not once in that interview did he admit to making any mistakes (apart from taking the job), he then whines about how the secretary at the club didn't cuddle him and how Milne didn't introduce him to any of his friends. Before the interview starts he arrogantly tells the reporter that an article that he's never read and doesn't know anything about is rubbish. He even blames Leitch at one point for being a bully but still refuses to accept that he made any mistakes.

McGhee was a success at Motherwell, so much so that I wanted him at Parkhead ahead of Mowbray, in hindsight I worry how he would have coped with the stress of managing Celtic when managing Aberdeen seemed like a couple of steps too far. As far as Aberdeen under Craig Brown go, I was at the game yesterday and fully expect them to finish in the top 6. That's twice we've played them this season and I don't think we deserved to win either game.

I do fear for Aberdeen in he long term though,, they seem to be happy to tread water at the moment until this stadium is built but I really can't see this stadium fixing all of their problems.

Oh, it's nice to see that Celtic don't provide seats anymore... Then their stewards throw you out for standing!

Acce2bVCIAIYSNk.jpg

Those seats are always missing. Its the same in the southwest corner too. There are no seats because Celtic don't sell ticketsfor them as they consider the view to be too restricted. So you shouldn't have been standing there.

Oh, it's nice to see that Celtic don't provide seats anymore... Then their stewards throw you out for standing!

Acce2bVCIAIYSNk.jpg

Those seats are always missing. Its the same in the southwest corner too. There are no seats because Celtic don't sell ticketsfor them as they consider the view to be too restricted. So you shouldn't have been standing there.

But there's seats there as well. Whats the difference in the view between the middle row in that picture (which has no seats) and the row behind it, which has seats?

Genuine question btw, not a dig at the hilariously built Celtic Park. Although, that was.

Aberdeen as a club fascinate me. Don't ask me why, but I've always had a soft spot for them that extends from before my sister got married to my brother-in-law who is a big Dons fan and season ticket holder. It can't be gloryhunting because I'm way too young to remember their heyday with Ferguson in charge and the likes of Strachan, Miller, McLeish, McGhee, Black etc playing in a truly great side that won European silverware as well as many Scottish trophies. It's nothing to do with their "we hate Rangers more than you" attitude cos I have seen some truly appalling behaviour and been subject to just as vitriolic abuse in the Celtic end of Pittodrie (which, by the way, is the best away trip in the SPL. Ibrox and Tynecastle are up there but I love going to Aberdeen).

• Paid Members

Acce2bVCIAIYSNk.jpg

Erm... but that's where my mates ticket was for apparently.

I was not at Celtic Park thank goodness. Worst away end in the SPL.

• Paid Members
Aberdeen has a decent history and the fans I know do nothing but hark on about the good old days. They expect Aberdeen to be the 3rd best in Scotland .

Every SPL club outwith the Old Firm should at the very minimum expect to be "Scotlands 3rd force". If they expect any less they should shut up shop right now.

Maybe Aberdeen fans are spoiled because we can genuinely claim to have been THE force in Scottish football for a short spell.

Also, I dunno if it happens a lot in all other regions but their managers and players are splattered over the local evening paper each day talking shite about what they're going to do on Saturday, usually followed up by a slaughtering in Monday and Tuesday's editions. Calderwood I know wrote far too much for the paper. Just shut up and get on with your job!

Couldn't agree more. I was so happy a couple of seasons back when the players decided not to speak to the local media anymore. Sadly it didn't last long.

It's a fairly poorly kept secret that local journalist/scab postman Charlie Allan was a big pal of Calderwoods - which is why he was in the paper every day.

Acce2bVCIAIYSNk.jpg

But there's seats there as well. Whats the difference in the view between the middle row in that picture (which has no seats) and the row behind it, which has seats?

Genuine question btw, not a dig at the hilariously built Celtic Park. Although, that was.

I don't know the exact situation as to whether the seats are restricted or not, but theres a good chance the seat was ripped out by supporters sitting in that end as they often are.

Archived