2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Scottish Cup Second Round this weekend, some pretty interesting ties cropped up with teams in different leagues playing each other.

Should be a good afternoon of football, and hopefully we'll see a fair few non-league teams in the 3rd round - where the 2nd and six of the 1st Division Teams enter

From the draw it looks like there'll be 8 non-league teams in the next round even if there aren't any upsets. Under the current format it's the fourth round they should be trying to reach anyway. Don't like all this splitting the 1st division teams so some enter earlier than others, makes it too much like the League Cup.

I find the crowds some of those teams get astonishing. Fair enough if it's a cup match, but in the league what's the attraction if there's no automatic promotion??

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scottish Cup Second Round this weekend, some pretty interesting ties cropped up with teams in different leagues playing each other.

Should be a good afternoon of football, and hopefully we'll see a fair few non-league teams in the 3rd round - where the 2nd and six of the 1st Division Teams enter

From the draw it looks like there'll be 8 non-league teams in the next round even if there aren't any upsets. Under the current format it's the fourth round they should be trying to reach anyway. Don't like all this splitting the 1st division teams so some enter earlier than others, makes it too much like the League Cup.

I find the crowds some of those teams get astonishing. Fair enough if it's a cup match, but in the league what's the attraction if there's no automatic promotion??

I got on Irvine Meadow at 7/4 to be the non league side who goes the furthest in the competition, might head along to watch them play Edinburgh City on Saturday should be a good game.

Some of the top junior teams have huge traditional supports. Bo'ness apparently had over 3,000 a couple of weeks ago against Linlithgow. Fair enough it was a derby in the junior cup and the SPL was off that day, but still a mental crowd. At Whitehill, its generally about 80-90, maybe a bit more if it's against Gretna or Spartans, and a bit more for cup quarters and semis.

Would be nice to see some non-league teams in the 4th round, I do agree with that. The splitting of the 1st division teams is just to get it down to the right number of fixtures in every round, but yeah it's not ideal.

Wigtown and Bladnoch v Stranraer for me. Absolutely cannot wait. It's essentially a local derby, just the 25 miles apart. Stranraer boss Keith Knox is a former Wigtown manager, Micky Dougan (Wigtown boss) is a former Stranraer player. Throw in the fact there are players at Wigtown who used to be at Stranraer. Looks like being a cracker... if it stops raining.

An interesting interview with Mark McGhee (especially if you're an Aberdeen fan);

Mark McGhee, as he contemplates the isolation of unemployment, is at the same time practising his German just in case Deutschland should have need of his coaching skills.

But his views on the city of Aberdeen

Wigtown and Bladnoch v Stranraer for me. Absolutely cannot wait. It's essentially a local derby, just the 25 miles apart. Stranraer boss Keith Knox is a former Wigtown manager, Micky Dougan (Wigtown boss) is a former Stranraer player. Throw in the fact there are players at Wigtown who used to be at Stranraer. Looks like being a cracker... if it stops raining.

Just the nine goals. Not too bad.

• Paid Members
Mark McGhee and his insane ramblings....

Hmmm, It's all the players fault, It's all someone elses fault.

What a horrible, bitter mess of a human being MM is.

His record wasn't too shabby when left us. Just saying...

Ok, I'll bite.

When a manager openly admits on his FIRST DAY at the club that he would prefer to be elsewhere why should he be given any respect? From the players right down to the "girl on the desk" he deserves nothing but utter contempt.

Archived