2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Surely the answer would be to keep Lennon and ship out the players who are a disgrace to the shirt?

You mean the players who he brought in himself?

Exactly. I doubt he's the first manager to buy a few bad eggs, so to speak. I think maybe even the great Walter Smith was guilty of that during his time, was he not?

Or maybe Neil Lennon is just a shite rookie manager?

Maybe. Although he did run Rangers to within a point last season, didn't he? Not too bad, especially when he was up against Sir Walter.

He spent Millions last year and he finished behind a Rangers team that spent every penny they had on one striker. Did he not bring in about 11 or 12 players? Celtic should have strolled the league last season and they didn't. This season we've strengthened in the positions we needed to, brought a little depth into the team and seem to be playing for each other (in the league anyway), hence why we are running away with it and why in May we will be champions again.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely the answer would be to keep Lennon and ship out the players who are a disgrace to the shirt?

Exactly. I doubt he's the first manager to buy a few bad eggs, so to speak. I think maybe even the great Walter Smith was guilty of that during his time, was he not?

Maybe. Although he did run Rangers to within a point last season, didn't he? Not too bad, especially when he was up against Sir Walter.

He spent Millions last year and he finished behind a Rangers team that spent every penny they had on one striker. Did he not bring in about 11 or 12 players? Celtic should have strolled the league last season and they didn't. This season we've strengthened in the positions we needed to, brought a little depth into the team and seem to be playing for each other (in the league anyway), hence why we are running away with it and why in May we will be champions again.

I guess we'll see, won't we? Still, I wouldn't get rid of him mid-season.

I know that you lot would love to see him fail Ally, but I wouldn't really expect anything less of cretins like yourself.

I think Lennon was a good appointment on the back of Mowbray and brought about a "us v them" mentality. The trouble is, that will only take you so far.

By my reckoning Lennon has signed:

- Charlie Mulgrew

- Cha Du Ri

- Joe Ledley

- Daryl Murphy

- Efrain Juarez

- Gary Hooper

- Beram Kayal

- Daniel Majstorovic

- Emilio Izaguirre

- Fraser Forster (twice)

- Anthony Stokes

- Olivier Kapo

- Dylan McGeough

- Freddie Ljungberg

- Tony Watt

- Kris Commons

- Adam Matthews

- Kelvin Wilson

- Victor Wanyama

- Mohammed Bangoura

- Badr El Kadouri

That's 21 players. Take out guys like Watt and McGeough who are both young and there is still a lot of dross. Ljungberg and Kapo were "big" names who contributed little.

But worse take a look at some of the defenders and then also consider the fact he was left with other guys by Mowbray. Plus guys like McManus, I dread to think how many defenders have played. You have guys like Hooiveld, Loovens, Rogne, Naylor plus Lennon's signings. Like I say, a good motivator in the short-term but there are very, very few of those signings that you think "cracking buy". Of course, every manager has made poor signings but other than Stokes, Hooper, Kayal, Izaguirre there are very few that are "cracking" signings. You can give the young boys plus maybe Wanyama, Bangoura and El Kadouri a bit of the benefit of the doubt since they are not long in Scottish football.

Obviously I'm not as clued up as some of our Celtic supporting forum members, but isn't it the case that Lennon had some of those players signed for him? I remember talk of certain players from certain places in the world being signed to try and improve the clubs marketing in those parts of the world?

I guess we'll see, won't we? Still, I wouldn't get rid of him mid-season.

I know that you lot would love to see him fail Ally, but I wouldn't really expect anything less of cretins like yourself.

A cretin because we want the CELTIC manager (our main rivals, ya know?) to fail? That doesn't even make sense. Not to mention he's a bitter wee fanny as well.

TAFKAC, looking at it objectively i'd say that Majstorovic and Juarez are the only real stinkers out of all that list especially since they paid good money in todays climate for the latter. Kapo and Ljunberg were gambles but didn't cost anything except a short term contract, admittedly on silly wages in all likelihood.

Central defense is still the main problem for Lennon just as it was the main issue for Mowbray and they've both tried enough combinations and alternatives without ever really getting it right. Neither of them seemed to fancy O'Dea much nor Hooiveld and they are both now playing quite comfortably in the top end of the Championship which you could argue is probably tougher than playing in the SPL.

Running away with it? There is still a game in hand and Rangers have had a win in a home Old Firm. The League is far from over.

TAFKAC, looking at it objectively i'd say that Majstorovic and Juarez are the only real stinkers out of all that list especially since they paid good money in todays climate for the latter. Kapo and Ljunberg were gambles but didn't cost anything except a short term contract, admittedly on silly wages in all likelihood.

Central defense is still the main problem for Lennon just as it was the main issue for Mowbray and they've both tried enough combinations and alternatives without ever really getting it right. Neither of them seemed to fancy O'Dea much nor Hooiveld and they are both now playing quite comfortably in the top end of the Championship which you could argue is probably tougher than playing in the SPL.

I'm not saying many were "stinkers" just wondering how many were better than what they had. By the by, does that mean you consider Daryl Murphy a success?!

• Paid Members
Running away with it? There is still a game in hand and Rangers have had a win in a home Old Firm. The League is far from over.

Looking at the table, I think it's fair to say that Rangers are "running away with it". Both teams dropped points yesterday but that still hurts Celtic far more than Rangers. We don't have to catch you, you have to catch us!

There is still a long way to go and the wheels could well come off Rangers' campaign yet, but if Celtic don't start picking up points immediately they may not be in any position to capatilize if it does.

Reading his comments after the game, Lennon does seem to have his head screwed on. I just wonder if the board are going to listen to him and make signing a defender a priority as opposed signing McFadden, who might be a big enough name to appease some fans in the short term but won't solve the real problems.

10 points clear is pretty much the definition of 'Running Away With It'

4 in a row is an absolute given. You can quote me on that

The thing that gives me hope is that (and before Ally, GIB or whoever wades in with their "LOLZ WHAT ABOUT CELTIC?! DESTINATION 55 PENNY ARCADE") I believe Rangers will start to drop some points as the season progresses. I don't really expect too much at the moment, as until we get our own house in order there is no such thing as a title challenge, but Rangers have already been pumped out of three competitions this season by inferior teams. Although right now they would have you believe that they are unbeatable due to an admittedly decent second half showing against Celtic, it's not over yet.

Oh, and David, don't make me laugh. Even a shengus Celtic side disposed of the mighty Steelmen with little to no trouble already.

Oh, and David, don't make me laugh. Even a shengus Celtic side disposed of the mighty Steelmen with little to no trouble already.

The only thing that should be making you laugh is the current league table. The very fact that a club with our budget & of our size is sitting above the mighty Celtic is hilarious.

10 points clear is pretty much the definition of 'Running Away With It'

4 in a row is an absolute given. You can quote me on that

If I remember rightly you were saying the same in 2007/08 so I will happily quote you on it.

I'm not saying many were "stinkers" just wondering how many were better than what they had. By the by, does that mean you consider Daryl Murphy a success?!

Totally overlooked Murphy there, how did i forget him? He would also be on the list with the other two in fairness you are correct.

Archived