2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

I imagine the Division 3 clubs are delighted at the prospect of two home games against Rangers next season. It's basically two guaranteed sellouts plus the hope of a Challenge Cup tie as well. Then more than likely the same thing for the 2nd and 1st Division clubs in the two seasons following.

I'm looking forward to the headlines when East Stirling sneak a win against them though. :p

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Will the new club have a new name and badge etc then?

It'll have a different badge but will still be called Rangers in some form. The history will never be separated from the club. A club isn't about an old or new company, it's about home, heart and members. There are tons of examples from other sports and businesses of history moving with the brand despite bankruptcy or liquidation.

Hull FC in Rugby League is a great example. No-one questions whether Hull FC now is the same one that was so successful in the 80's. The Celtic fans will give them stick about it but most will consider it the same.

I know there's no-one on this thread saying it but the amount of "Scottish football will die without Rangers" paranoia is doing my nut in. It has a chance without them, with them, it dies through a lack of any integrity. What if Rangers come straight back into the SPL, then get relegated, do we not have relegation for a year as "it's bad for Scottish football"?

Not meaning this in a negative way as far as Celtic goes, but the same pundits and even the likes of Walter Smith were proclaiming that Scottish football losing both Rangers & Celtic a few years ago when the talk of Atlantic leagues etc was all the rage would be a good thing for our game.

Now all of a sudden we stand to lose only one of the old firm, yet it's the end as we know it? I think their opinion has changed because this scenario doesn't see them being flown all over Europe to report on tasty Atlantic league games...

This isn't the death of Rangers Football Club, it's the end of a chapter, an embarrassing one at that, Rangers Football Club existed before the formation of the "company" and we'll continue to exist and come back in better shape

If that were the case, why were you be so desperate to get a CVA then? If liquidation never meant the end, you wouldn't have bothered with the last 4 months, your club would have been liquidated immediately upon going into administration, because it would be an utterly brilliant, too-good-to-be-true option with few downsides from your point of view. In the real world however, that's not the case obviously. The death of your club is the price you pay for walking away from your liabilities and coming back with a clean slate.

I'd be quite happy for your new club to claim all the old clubs history, considering how less-than-glorious I consider it to be, not least this latest episode of stiffing those 300 organisations you owe money to - the taxpayer, your queen, the ambulance service, football clubs, small businesses, education establishments etc etc. You can even claim ownership of your soon-to-be 49 titles, but it's still delusional straw-clutching. To claim you're still the original club is reminiscant of Trigger and his original broom.

You can't just arrogantly pick and choose what parts of your history you want to keep and what parts it suits you to discard. If you're adamant you're still the same club and insist on keeping the trophies and honours, then fine, you take on the liabilities too - the

• Paid Members
If that were the case, why were you be so desperate to get a CVA then?

They can't play in Europe for 3 years without one and a "newco" means having to go cap in hand to stay in the SPL. That was far more important than the history.

Agree with the other stuff though. This "newco" will maintain the history. It needs to have sanctions placed on it too. Leeds starting the season in League One without a CVA and only a 15 point penalty was a complete joke. Rangers being an SPL side next season will be too.

• Paid Members

Phil Macghiollabhain has generally been spot on with his Rangers investigations since this started, he was the first to report the tax case, call Whyte's shenanigans and has been predicting the death of Rangers in the last fee weeks. Rangers fans cannot ever say they weren't warned or made aware of what was happening, they just chose to ignore it.

His piece today sums it up for me - http://www.philmacgiollabhain.ie/paying-a-...ute-to-rangers/

An interesting article from the Scotsman;

Horse-trading and hard thinking will determine whether SPL clubs will vote to accept a newco Rangers in the Scottish top flight.

If five clubs are against, they won

If that were the case, why were you be so desperate to get a CVA then?

They can't play in Europe for 3 years without one and a "newco" means having to go cap in hand to stay in the SPL. That was far more important than the history.

They weren't ever going to be playing for Europe over the next 3 years anyway as UEFA confirmed just a few weeks ago that they treat exiting administration via CVA the same as they would a new club.

The other point is a bit of a red herring and trivial in the grand scheme of things. The Majority vote for a newclub will more than likely be a 'yes' anyway, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. Even with a CVA, there's still the double contracts, illegal registrations, and all the various SFA/SPL investigations that could quite easily see them kicked out the SPL.

Agree with the other stuff though. This "newco" will maintain the history.

Well, you don't really. I'm saying that they should only feel entitled to claim ownership of their honours and trophies if they accept the other parts of their history - in particular the debt which could be as much as

• Paid Members
An interesting article from the Scotsman;

Interesting stuff, David, cheers.

So in summary:

"No"

Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee United, Hibs, Motherwell

"Yes"

Hearts, Inverness, Kilmarnock, Rangers, St. Mirren, St. Johnstone

"Dunno"

Ross County

I think Ross County would probably vote in favour once they've considered it. Looks like Motherwell might well be the key vote. They are the only one of the 5 who look like they might consider a shift.

The fact that Rangers have a vote is ridiculous.

I said that yesterday. I can't get my head around that one.

I read somewhere yesterday that it was the 11 other clubs that voted, but everywhere today is saying it's an 8-4 that's needed and Rangers will have a vote. It's ricockulous. Maybe they'll do the honourable thing and vote themselves out.

Archived