2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was away in Oban for a birthday weekend with mates so I can hardly remember the cup final as I'd started on it at about 10am that morning. Pretty much all I remember is Hooper fluffing his lines really early on in the game, Wanyama and Stokes' headers, the Killie goal and feeling like the above should have been a penalty. I reckon we probably had the better of the game but credit to Killie, well done. Not that down about it cos it is the League Cup but it would have been nice to seal the treble. If we win the league at Ibrox, that will take priority over anything. Just hoping Killie do us a wee favour on Saturday - all will be forgiven!

scan0001tk.jpgjhy44l.jpg

Not gonna lie right enough, this doesn't even annoy me in the slightest. The only thing that annoys me is the accusation of a dive rather than the penalty not being given. The cunt should have buried it without the extra touch in the first place. Showed why Lennon doesn't trust him in the big games on Sunday. Congratulations to Kilmarnock, well deserved win.

One of your own John Hartson in the BBC Studio on Sunday - "He's delayed his dive".

There was obvious contact - but not enough to send him sprawling like he did.

John Hartson said Kris Boyd was better than Fernando Torres and Henrik Larsson.

Celtic will fight the 10 non-Old Firm clubs' efforts to change the Scottish Premier League voting structure.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell has described as "disrespectful" the secret meetings of the 10.

They are trying to change from 11-1 to 9-3 the structure which they see as creating a Rangers-Celtic stranglehold.

And it is believed that Lawwell has the backing of the Ibrox administrators and at least some of the potential new owners of the troubled Govan club.

Lawwell said: "They talk of a more competitive league.

"Well, the Icelandic and Welsh leagues are competitive but it is the presence of the Old Firm which makes Scottish football different."

Celtic are adamant that the current voting structure will stay because Rangers will stand shoulder to shoulder with them, alongside Sky Television whose new contract with the SPL has not yet actually been signed off.

As things stand, the SPL's Articles of Association state that 66% of clubs (eight) must agree for an ordinary resolution to be passed.

To pass a special qualified resolution, such as for the expansion or reduction of SPL members, 83% of clubs must agree. That represents a 10-2 split.

Continue reading the main story

TV money could be split a bit better (even though Sky/ESPN usually show a lot more Old Firm games than any other team) but I wouldn't like to see stuff like gate money being split in half like the old days, as that's completely unfair to the teams with a much bigger support.

A judge has just ruled the controversial season ticket deal Craig Whyte used to buy Rangers must stand, dealing a blow to attempts to sell the club.

The key bone of contention is NOT the league size, but the voting issue. 11-1 is just retarded. 8-4 or 7-5 make much more sense.

I do agree with Lawwell's statement that the Old Firm generate most of the cash but 11-1 really is fucking stupid.

The key bone of contention is NOT the league size, but the voting issue. 11-1 is just retarded. 8-4 or 7-5 make much more sense.

I do agree with Lawwell's statement that the Old Firm generate most of the cash but 11-1 really is fucking stupid.

You can generate 99% of the cash if you want, but without the 10 other strongest teams in Scotland, you won't generate ANY cash, as an OF league would die in about 6 weeks.

• Paid Members

You can generate 99% of the cash if you want, but without the 10 other strongest teams in Scotland, you won't generate ANY cash, as an OF league would die in about 6 weeks.

Would it?

I'm almost certain that, if the other ten teams in the League pulled out of the SPL, the teams in the First Divison would jump at the chance to take their place. Playing Dundee, Raith and Morton might not be as good as playing Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen but TV money, sponsorships etc would stay around about the same and the level of competition would go back to normal after a season or two.

Lawell's right to be angry at Celtic being excluded from the discussion. There's no point inviting Rangers, given our current financial situation, but not inviting Celtic is a real slap in the face.

Archived